She's still got it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's still got it.

I recently revived my father’s 82 GS1100GL with 9700 original miles. He is the original owner and actually almost sold it several times throughout the years. I also just talked him out of repainting it; after all she’s a survivor.

Well for the last six years anyways, it has sat in the corner of his garage collecting dust because of my Mustang being parked in front of it and his grace of not giving me the boot. So, the time has come to repay him for the favor.

It all started when several months ago I was given a 1977 Honda 750F2 SS SOHC and I decided to delve into the world of bikes. After getting this old girl back in action with new coils, P&C, carb rebuild and tuning I was after my father to get his old Suzuki back in action. After being a wrench for 10 years and an ASE Master Tech I can vouch that bikes are a little different than cars. I also can contest that my Honda was a little easier to bring back to life then the old GS shafty. As soon as I read that the carbs were variable venturi I cringed to remember the horror stories of the Ford variable venturi carbs…next best thing to fuel injection when they ran but the Ford engineers couldn’t even fix them when they wacked out. Anyways, I am constantly learning something about the old GS new whether it’s from stories on the GS Resources or the Clymer’s manual and so far it has been an adventure. I mean really, vacuum petcock that was news to me.

After 6 long years I finally got the Ol’ Shafty back on the road this weekend and it even though it still requires some dialing in, it moves! Overall, reflecting back on the weekend I believe the best part was when my father was able to saddle up again and take the GS for a ride…it’s been a long time since he has ridden that old girl and when I saw him come back with a smile I knew in my heart that it has been worth my time and effort to bring the GS back to life.

I told my wife that I look forward to the day when the 1100 becomes mine. It’s the only motorsport heirloom that I would have from my father and it definitely has sentimental value. If you care to read on I would be happy to tell you why.

Back in ‘85 I was in kindergarten I remember coming out of school, after a hard day of coloring and seeing the principal talking to some wanna-be on a scooter that probably had a top speed of 35. My first thought was that is a sissy bike and my Dad’s is better (typical my Dad's is better mentality). As soon as I had that revelation Bam out of no where comes 1100 cc’s of GS glory and my father gives a few revs to catch my attention. All of the kids on the school busses were giving us thumbs up as he handed me my helmit and we rode off. Man, I felt cool.

Fellow GS-ers, allow me to put it to you this way; when I have my sohc 750 out and about the neighborhood kids didn’t even pay attention even with it being louder, but when I was testing out the GS this past weekend, they all came running up to my garage and pointing in at the motorcycle; the GS speaks for itself.

Great Story! Welcome to the GSR!:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Hey Shafty, where in Illinois are you. Galesburg here.

Comment

Originally posted by pntrdave View Post
        Hey Shafty, where in Illinois are you. Galesburg here.

Yes, yes! We FIBs are sneaking up in numbers!\\/

Great story!

Brad tt

Comment

Thanks,

As far as where I am located that would be the Joliet area.

Comment

Welcome Shafty

That was a good yarn

Brenno

Comment

Yes, welcome to the group. I learned alot about these GS's from this forum as well.

Chip

Comment

nice story and welcome!

I know how you feel about the sentimental part... I have a GS 850 my wife got me and i also have a '56 Indian/Royal Woodsman that used to be my Grandfather's then my Father's. they both were going to fix it up and never did, now it is my turn...

Comment

Originally posted by supergus View Post
                  nice story and welcome!

I know how you feel about the sentimental part... I have a GS 850 my wife got me and i also have a '56 Indian/Royal Woodsman that used to be my Grandfather's then my Father's. they both were going to fix it up and never did, now it is my turn...

Now its your turn to 'fix it up, but never do'?

LOL... sorry, I'm so humorous...

Anyway, welcome to the family supergus... we all have our similar stories of 'rescuing GSs from the pound', so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by wharrah View Post
                    Now its your turn to 'fix it up, but never do'?

LOL... sorry, I'm so humorous...

Anyway, welcome to the family supergus... we all have our similar stories of 'rescuing GSs from the pound', so to speak.
                    the Indian is REALLY rough, but I think i might be able to salvage it. the GS I have was also a fixer (appearace wise), now it is looking better..

i wil post pics of the Indian someday here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                      Yes, yes! We FIBs are sneaking up in numbers!\\/

Great story!

Brad tt
                      FIB??? What is a FIB?

f??????? Illinois Biker?
                      F*ckin
                      Forgettable
                      Forlorn
                      Fermented?

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                        Back in ‘85 I was in kindergarten.......Bam out of no where comes 1100 cc’s of GS glory and my father gives a few revs to catch my attention. All of the kids on the school busses were giving us thumbs up as he handed me my helmit and we rode off. Man, I felt cool.
                        I love the kindergarten story :-D and I'm IGNORING the fact that you were IN kindergarten in 1985......

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                        FIB??? What is a FIB?

f??????? Illinois Biker?
                        F*ckin
                        Forgettable
                        Forlorn
                        Fermented?
                        Maybe "funky"?

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzr View Post
                          I love the kindergarten story :-D and I'm IGNORING the fact that you were IN kindergarten in 1985......
                          Me too...
                          I wanted to be, but they held me till '86

I plan on doing the same thing for my kid, I might pick him up from preschool this year\\/

Comment

FIB??? What is a FIB?

f??????? Illinois Biker?
                            F*ckin
                            Forgettable
                            Forlorn
                            Fermented?
                            Wow I can't believe I heard that!. Brings back memories from the early 80's. Being from Hurley, WI, tons of "FIBS" would invade the town to snowmobile and wreak havoc on the bar scene. i also experienced the "FIB" thing when I went to UW-Platteville. It had just become the Bears training camp and the town was full of BIGGGG FIBS. I didn't know you guys called yourself that! I HATED being called a Cheesehead. Anyhow.....

Comment

Me too...
                              I wanted to be, but they held me till '86
                              Watch, it Bud! :-? Don't make me come up there and unleash an assortment of demonic furry critters on ya! :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X