No announcement yet.

82 GS1100GK comes home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice ride you got there Miss Fab and a great story too. Congrats!

Comment

Great story, sounds like too much fun. congratulations on the bike. have fun and enjoy!

Comment

Hiya Shirl!!

Guess what's sitting at the trucking company in Indiana waiting for a ride home to you?

Yep, the little dirt bike is waiting on the final leg of the journey! I got back about a half hour ago, and Skreemer Steve came along for the ride also (Thanks Steve -- appreciated the help and camaraderie!!) It was about a five hour round trip, but seemed to go pretty fast with the company!

We left the bike in the screen porch as instructed, with a sealed (thanks vacuum sealer - I love that gadget!) plastic bag "zip-tied" to the handlebars that includes the service manual, a replacement cable, lever, and rubber boots.

Enjoy!!

Comment

WOW!!!!!

You guys are the best! I'm glad you had had good company - I would have loved to hang out with you guys myself. Hope I can be just as helpful as everyone else has been with me. This place isn't just a form - it's a real community with great neighbors. You guys all rock!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!

THIS IS THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!

Comment

Hey Steve, Have you seen the pics of Shirl's new bike? The foot boards and forward controls? Posted here. http://rides.webshots.com/album/555149669RIfOHN

Comment

You realize Dave that this bike never would have happened for me if you hadn't posted that original thread!!

And for anyone who missed the thread, here is a link to the pics from the future museum those awesome resto guys have: http://rides.webshots.com/album/555140773rDFgNT Cool thing too is that my buddy who took me out there has had bikes and dirtbikes so he was really into it too. When I won the auction I just figured I was getting some old bike from some guys, not some amazing resto gurus!!! Magic all around!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                You realize Dave that this bike never would have happened for me if you hadn't posted that original thread!!

And for anyone who missed the thread, here is a link to the pics from the future museum those awesome resto guys have: http://rides.webshots.com/album/555140773rDFgNT Cool thing too is that my buddy who took me out there has had bikes and dirtbikes so he was really into it too. When I won the auction I just figured I was getting some old bike from some guys, not some amazing resto gurus!!! Magic all around!!!

Isn't it Mike Who often Says "The Universe tends to Unfold as it Should.":-D
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by pntrdave View Post
                  Hey Steve, Have you seen the pics of Shirl's new bike? The foot boards and forward controls? Posted here. http://rides.webshots.com/album/555149669RIfOHN
                  I saw it Dave ... thanks! Seems her GK setup is different in the positioning of the floorboards than my custom job. I like mine better, if only because it doesn't have all the extra linkages to adjust or cause "play" in the mechanism.

Regards,

Comment

The floorboards and highway pegs are all Suzuki... in my search travels, I've realized there is a GK and a GK2 so I'm wondering if this is actually a stock package on it. I did a search trying to find info on the difference between a GK and GK2 and haven't some up with anything. Regardless, those floor boards are bigguns! Not sure how I feel about all of that, but I'm in no danger of riding it anytime soon!

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                      The floorboards and highway pegs are all Suzuki... in my search travels, I've realized there is a GK and a GK2 so I'm wondering if this is actually a stock package on it. I did a search trying to find info on the difference between a GK and GK2 and haven't some up with anything. Regardless, those floor boards are bigguns! Not sure how I feel about all of that, but I'm in no danger of riding it anytime soon!
                      I love my "new" floorboards! Had to fabricate mods to make it all work before the Galena Weekend, but it worked pretty well. I'll make a few minor modifications before spring, but I'm very happy with it overall. I'm also going to add floorboards for my rear passenger -- Most times that's my wife, Beckie.

What are you planning for the body, Shirl? I got the impression you're taking it off ... true?

Enjoy!

Comment

Just glad someone from the GSR got it and not some part stripper. Really glad you got it. With a few mods it will make you a great bike. Respect it's power and it's not to much to handle. Talk to Patti, she's just a tiny thing and she rides like the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by pntrdave View Post
                          Just glad someone from the GSR got it and not some part stripper. Really glad you got it. With a few mods it will make you a great bike. Respect it's power and it's not to much to handle. Talk to Patti, she's just a tiny thing and she rides like the wind.
                          Me too! That was a big part of my incentive to keep bidding!

The way I am looking at it is this:

It's a really big heavy bike for a small framed newbie... however...

I have all the time in the world.
                          I welcome it as a project.
                          I have the room.
                          I have the resources to draw from right here, and there is no rush.
                          I should soon have other smaller cc bikes on which to develop my skills.
                          Selling it out of intimidation will likely mean kicking myself later.

So I am looking at it as more of a project than my first ride... a labor of love while I continue to accummulate knowledge and skills.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me a bit that I can't ride it yet... simply the fact that I have a GS in this kind of condition in my possession for me to love and improve is enough for me right now, not to mention the weather is already crap. My goal was never to get a liter + bike, but here she is, so I will be taking things very slowly and let her evolve as I do. One day, when I am ready for her, she will be ready for me.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the support. I'll grow into this beast of a bike, and you'll all be here to watch it unfold!

Comment

If you want to go back to the stock brake pedal and shifter and foot pegs, I think they are still on a parts bike I have. Let me know.

Comment

Do you think you'll be hanging onto them for a while? I'm at a point where I don't want to make any decisions too fast. I sat on it for a long time tonight and checked everything out... the shifter didn't seem too confusing (tho different) but the width of those boards is a lot. It looks like swapping them out won't be a difficult endeavor (famous last words lol) because it's all out in the open. Part of me would like to work with standard controls and another part of me says to work with what I've got. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

I just think a naked bike with floor boards would look funny. but thats just me. No rush the parts aren't going any where. If I even have them.
                                Haven't looked at the old parts bike for awhile.
                                I'll look though, and if I get a chance pulll them off.

Comment

Working...
                                X