Nice ride in the country gone bad....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice ride in the country gone bad....

Well guys, had a huge local ride in the country today with alot of nice cars/bikes...

Took the gs550 out and was having a blast. Nice corners, good safe riders, beautiful 70+ defree weather.

Stopped in a town to regroup, and the day turned bad... Decided to gas up and while riding down main st, didn't see a collection of gravel and while braking, the front end slide out... Doing about 15-20 mph

Tore up my hands pretty good, but the gear saved me.. Still had road rash through my leather jacket. Helmet's got a gash on it and jeans got some tears..

Anyways, bike didn't fare as well. broke a both turn signals, ripped the guage cluster in half and bent the front end up bad.. The steering is messed up and i think the front end is tweaked... I'm trying to decide whether to repair or part out... Any opinions welcome.

Anyways, be safe out there guys... Always watch the road, and be careful.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
    Well guys, had a huge local ride in the country today with alot of nice cars/bikes...

Took the gs550 out and was having a blast. Nice corners, good safe riders, beautiful 70+ defree weather.

Stopped in a town to regroup, and the day turned bad... Decided to gas up and while riding down main st, didn't see a collection of gravel and while braking, the front end slide out... Doing about 15-20 mph

Tore up my hands pretty good, but the gear saved me.. Still had road rash through my leather jacket. Helmet's got a gash on it and jeans got some tears..

Anyways, bike didn't fare as well. broke a both turn signals, ripped the guage cluster in half and bent the front end up bad.. The steering is messed up and i think the front end is tweaked... I'm trying to decide whether to repair or part out... Any opinions welcome.

Anyways, be safe out there guys... Always watch the road, and be careful.
    Get a donor bike and get it back on the road man. I am glad you made it out ok. Ride safe bud!

Comment

What's bent up on the front? I have two complete GS550 front ends here...

Your bike deserves to stay on the road. Get us pictures. We'll work from there.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Glad to hear that your OK:-D . I'd fix her. She'd be happier on the road than off. Matter of fact, I am leaning toward trying to repair my bike(See pics in my sig. block) But I'll need a fame 1st. Good luck.

Andy
        1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
        1984 GS1100GK
        1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
        1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
        1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Glad your injuries are minor! I'd listen to Nero and take pics and go from there. You might just be feeling extra-discouraged after this event. Keep your chin up and be glad it wasn't worse!

Comment

I have a '80 GS550e that my brother and I were going to rebuild, but I think we decided to attempt to build a drifter cart out of it. if you need parts, I may have them.

Comment

Glad your injuries were relatively minor. Heal well and get that sled back on the road!:-D

Comment

Stay well brother, you've got a whole winter ahead of you to rebuild that thing. Set your sights for next April and you'll stay on track.

Keep us posted

Comment

Working...
                X