Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the coldest temperature you have ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the coldest temperature you have ride?

This morning was a cool and crisp. The skies were clear and the morning sun was bright. I was thinking this morning during my 25 mile ride to work in 25°F, what would be the coldest temperature I would ride in. Just wondering how cold it was when others have gone ridin'.

Last Sunday when I left at 5 am to ride south to the Twin Cities (3 1/2 hour ride) it was about 21 deg f. I think I've ridden when it 18 deg f. and sunny.

Comment

33 deg F was my lowest. Lost feeling in my hands several times 'cause I didn't have adequate gloves. ;-)

Comment

I used to ride in the winter many moons ago regardless of temperature, so I'd guess high teens F was my lowest. I do remember losing feeling in my hands REAL fast though, but I didn't have a fairing or handguards then like I do now. I probably wouldn't last long since I only wear lined leather gloves from the '70s. But they were a present from folks long gone and I'd never wear anything else.

Comment

-7C on my commute to work. Fortunately temps were only that low for about a month or so, breathe freezing on the inside of my visoe was "interesting"

Dink

Comment

Since it's only a couple miles to work, I don't think my cold weather riding counts.

But, I've gone to work in the single digits. The only thing that stops me is any chance of freezing precipitation. Then I make my wife take me to work!:twisted: She's not a morning person!

Brad bt

Comment

I rode to work once years ago on my GS400 when it was -5 F. Work was only about 5 miles away, but it was still a wee bit chilly. The roads were reasonably clear, but there was still about a foot of snow on the ground.

You can get pretty stir crazy in Indiana in February.

It started right up, too. Kick starters rock.

I'm only about 11 miles from where I work now, so I regularly ride to work in mid-20s temps.

I highly recommend FirstGear's unbelievably toasty HT overpants:
              These HT II Overpants are the best, fully-featured textile pants we offer. The basic design allow for use over regular street clothing (but you can wear them...

With the lightweight insulated liner in, your legs never feel cold no matter what.
              Last edited by bwringer; 11-03-2006, 07:00 PM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Snowing?

Never had the luxury of owning a bike with a thermometer. Used to have an annual Christmas day ride up to Sonora (foothills to Yosemite) and got caught in a snowstorm on my way back down.

It actually felt warmer riding in the snow than it does riding in mid-40 degree foggy weather here in the valley. That fog just soaks through to the bones....

Comment

Probably 0F -18C

It seldom gets colder than that around here, but I used to ride all year round without regard to weather.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Rode yesterday to work (20 miles each way) 22F in the morning. New balaclava from dennis kirk and new gloves. Balaclava-A plus-great-perfect.Gloves? not so good. I need snowmobile gloves. I had to stop after 15 miles,fingers were frozen.(It HURTS when they thaw) Glad I didn't "tough it out". Ten minutes with hot chocolate and I was OK.:-D

Comment

6 degree's F...

pretty cold if i do say so myself
                      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

I drove my bike to work in the snow in Ohio when my cars wouldn't start. Probably fifteen degrees F.
                        The look on my co-workers face....Priceless:-D
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

-17F was on a snowmobile though...... About +20 on a bike.
                          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

A few years back I rode to work in the mid to upper Twenties. That was on a GT750 Water Buffalo with a windjammer fairing. Between the fairing and the big radiator up front thats as as close as you can get to having a heater on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
                              Rode yesterday to work (20 miles each way) 22F in the morning. New balaclava from dennis kirk and new gloves. Balaclava-A plus-great-perfect.Gloves? not so good. I need snowmobile gloves. I had to stop after 15 miles,fingers were frozen.(It HURTS when they thaw) Glad I didn't "tough it out". Ten minutes with hot chocolate and I was OK.:-D
                              That's my biggest complaint, too! Last spring I was riding to Joe Nardy's to change my rear tire and it was in the upper 20's when I left. I stopped after 40 minutes at a gas station for a cup of java and to let my fingers defrost. PAIN!!! Not just letting my fingers warm back up, but trying to get my helmet strap undone when I couldn't feel my fingers!:shock:

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
                              X