First time - rode off with the sidestand down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time - rode off with the sidestand down

I swear this is the first time I ever did this. The weather here in Western Mass has been unseasonably warm. Yesterday afternoon was fifty-something, so I drag the old girl out of the garage, give her full choke, and warm her up. A friend stops by to chat at that moment, so I blah blah blah for awhile. Time's up, so I don gear, restart, and ride up the driveway. At the end, I turn left and crrrrrch - WTF? Forgot to put up the sidestand! I'm cool, flick it up and ride off like nothing happened.

Sheesh. That moment stuck with me for awhile.

3xer

done that on several occasions! it hasnt bit me yet, but I gotta stay sharp, cause one time, Im bound to really try to lean it over and miss the turn...

Comment

Make sure it stays with you....

I went down for the first time ever this year because I left the sidestand down like a dumbass. Broken arm, ribs, passenger w/broken arm.

You got away with one.

Comment

Yes, that can cause a nasty fall! The FZ won't run in gear with the sidestand down. Thanksfully, becasue I have done the exact same thing on more than one occasion.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeTimer View Post
          I swear this is the first time I ever did this. The weather here in Western Mass has been unseasonably warm. Yesterday afternoon was fifty-something, so I drag the old girl out of the garage, give her full choke, and warm her up. A friend stops by to chat at that moment, so I blah blah blah for awhile. Time's up, so I don gear, restart, and ride up the driveway. At the end, I turn left and crrrrrch - WTF? Forgot to put up the sidestand! I'm cool, flick it up and ride off like nothing happened.

Sheesh. That moment stuck with me for awhile.

3xer
          Most bikes have some type of a "warning" system with respect to a down sidestand. My 1100E has a red sidestand indicator lamp that is lit when the sidestand is down. Newer bikes have a safety system that stalls the engine as soon as you let out the clutch. I have almost done the same thing a few times, everyone does it.

Comment

That seems to happen a lot more in the early mornings to me than at other times. I usually go through a checklist before I take off, but yeah sometimes I forget.

Never had to pay for it though. Knock on wood.

Comment

Both my bikes shut down when the sidestand is down and a gear is engaged.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Shoot...I've done that on the dragbike more than once...
                Don't know until I go to turn off the track....:-D

Bob T.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I did the same thing once...on my little 125...sitting at a light, and my big honkin' feet somehow pushed the side stand down just a wee bit...let out the clutch, bike stalls....pushed the bike off the road, and couldnt figure it..then..the side-stand..! Duh! Last time I did it...(knockin head on wood)
                  I now have a routine that I go through...get on bike, turn on key, kick up side stand, start bike...

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                    Most bikes have some type of a "warning" system with respect to a down sidestand. My 1100E has a red sidestand indicator lamp that is lit when the sidestand is down. Newer bikes have a safety system that stalls the engine as soon as you let out the clutch. I have almost done the same thing a few times, everyone does it.
                    My '82 750T has a warning light for when the sidestand is down. Still, though, I believe I've pulled out with the stand still down, till I glanced down and saw the light. I KNOW I've duck-walked it around the driveway and left it down. Argh!

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
                      Both my bikes shut down when the sidestand is down and a gear is engaged.
                      Your bike shutting down has nothing to do with the sidestand being down. You need to just give it a little more gas when you let the clutch out. (You throttle a bike like a scared chick)

Comment

I've done that twice: once on my current, and once on my previous bike. Both have the red light on when the stand's down. Thankfully, no harm was done.

My 1st Suzuki was newer than these last two, and it would die if you put it in gear with the stand down. It also wouldn't start in gear with it down. The guy I sold it to had a real time trying to get it started once, and took apart I don't know how much stuff looking for the "problem." Turned out he was trying to start it in gear with the stand down. It pays sometimes to read the directions.

Comment

my old yamaha will kill the engine if you put it in gear with the kickstand down.

Comment

and now..

you have to watch out for the similar problem of stepping OFF a stopped bike with the sidestand still UP. That's embarassing, although not usually as damaging.

Comment

The sidestand on my 85 GS450 springs back up as soon as you pick the bike upright. The trouble is my CX500 Honda doesn't and I have forgotten twice, luckily with no injury or damage.
                              My solution was to remove the sidestand! Don't really trust them anyway, at least the bike can't fall over on the centre stand!

Comment

Working...
                              X