Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you keep your a** from sliding off the back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
    Only if they are exposed.*
    speaking of which, is it just me or do they get cold after a long ride.
    the rest of my body can be toasty and fine zipping down the highway, but when i get off and start walking i realize ive got two ice cubes dangling in my pants.

oh and back on topic, i'm only 140 and i don't have a problem with slippage.. it's what the foot pegs and handlebars are for. of course, i haven't gone over 80mph... yet.

Comment

Awhile back I was asked how to ride bareback on a horse. My reply was "Hold on like h3ll!" Same goes for the bike. ;-)

But I think Jethro put it a little more succintly:

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      Grip the tank with your legs, lean forward and hook your feett on the leading edge of the pegs a little bit. Make sure you have a good grip and you should be in good shape.
      Always try to be relaxed, though. A good grip, but not tense. Shoulders and shoulder blades released down the back, traps letting go.

Comment

this is why Hans Muth "scooped" the seat....and the term "crotch rocket" was derived from that fact.

So, if you want to go fast.....:-D

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeTimer View Post
          So I'm riding yesterday, enjoying the unseasonably warm NE weather. I'm putzing down side roads and merge with a main (ish) road. I decide to let'er rip and wind her out thru the first 3 gears. By the time I was at 60 (+/-) my a** was almost bumping the license plate.

How does everyone keep themselves planted whilst doing what a GS needs to do? My bike's seat is nearly flat, so no cafe-racer stop to bump against. Knees tight against the tank didn't do much.

3xer
          I asked that same question when I first started here, after obtaining my first motorcycle (also with a flat seat). I didn't really intend to learn with such a quick bike -- who knew a 650 could practically "kite" a 200lb guy? Hats off to Suzuki for an amazing machine...

Anyway, after the laughter died down the general consensus was that I'd develop a "butt sense" and with a bit more riding experience it wouldn't even be an issue. They were right. I can twist that throttle all day long now with relative posterior stability.

I'm not sure about your level of experience, but maybe you'll just get the hang of it like I did?

Like others have said, it involves shifting your weight forward, good foot position on the pegs, and last but not least, hanging on to the bars for dear life. But mainly once I got over the fear of sliding off the back, the rest just fell into place. ;-)

Oh yeah, one other great tip was powershifting. If you get the hang of shifting without the clutch, you can grip more securely with your left hand. Just put upward pressure on the shift pedal as you do a quick "reverse blip" on the throttle to unload the drivetrain. You'll pop right into the next gear, smooth as silk.

Comment

Spray stickum on it!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL\\/

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              Oh yeah, one other great tip was powershifting. If you get the hang of shifting without the clutch, you can grip more securely with your left hand. Just put upward pressure on the shift pedal as you do a quick "reverse blip" on the throttle to unload the drivetrain. You'll pop right into the next gear, smooth as silk.
              lol! Not only do I remember that thread clear as day, but I remember telling you to "screw the clutch!" hahahaha. Glad it worked out and you're ripping it with the best of them now

Comment

lol! Not only do I remember that thread clear as day, but I remember telling you to "screw the clutch!" hahahaha. Glad it worked out and you're ripping it with the best of them now
                Yeah, I go all up and down the gears without touching the clutch now. Pulled the front wheel off the ground a bit grabbing 2nd that way a while back. Scared the crap outta me!

Comment

Working...
                X