GS1100E in my sights...but the Seller is a dink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E in my sights...but the Seller is a dink

So, I posted an ad on craigslist looking for an 82/83 GS1100E project. I got a hit about an hour later. Guy emails me, tells me his friend has one for sale in Milford (outside of Detroit). I look at the listing and the buyer seems, ahhh, motivated. "I NEED the cash, make offer." His friend also told me that the bike "might" have a bad gearbox. Its not too far from me (< 3 hours), so I call the seller up, and ask him what he needs for it.
    He says, "2500 firm! I've spent the last two weeks cleaning her up, been sitting for 15 years. Starts right up."

My BS meter is going pretty haywire right about now, cuz I didn't tell him that I got an email about the bike from his friend. He also told me that he had a guy that "just left" from looking at it, and was gonna go get him money tomorrow and He's got a guy in Oregon that wants him (the Seller) to hold it for him, he'll wire the money." I just told him that it wasn't quite what I was looking for, and wished him luck. I hope the "buyer" in Oregon isn't one of us. I would beware.

I'm kinda bummed this guy turned out to be such a flake. Its the first 1100E I have found for sale in MI, and I would really like to pick one of these up. Is the asking price out of line?

For $2500, it should be in excellent condition, mostly original and low low miles, needing nothing. From your comments, I would offer the guy no more than $1000-1500 for it.

Earl
    Last edited by earlfor; 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Trust your instincts. There's always another out there.

Comment

gs 1100e

for your info. I sold mine for $1600. freshly painted, chain/sprocket conversion new battery, fork seals replaced, pingle petcock, perfect seat, in perfect running condition. be patient you'll get one

ard.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, kinda what I figured. I've had my eyes open for a while, looking at selling prices and condition.

Comment

Got mine...

I ponied up $2,000.00 for mine with 28k on it. Since then I have replaced the handlebars, going flatter, and replaced the seat with a Corbin Gunfighter ($300.00) and installed Mikuni RS36 Flat Slides ($415.00) and K & N Pods ($98.00). I also installed a Jardine four into one ($349.00), which performed better than the Vance & Hines I bought for it and then promptly sold. I just installed a new Metzeler Marathon on the rear as well. Other than that routine maintenance. Ah yes, the wheels are Performance Machine Chicanes and were on the bike when I got it. They are no long manufactured and fetch $500.00 or more used. I have a number for a guy in Boston that may still have a 1982 GS1100E for sale with some ridiculously low mileage, something like 4,000, for $3,000.00. Let me know if you are interested in calling him. I can't guarantee that he still has the bike though.

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem spending that kind of coin for a bike that runs well, but with a possible transmission problem....Eh, no thanks! Gyver, 2,000 for your bike seems like a good price, if it was as clean when you got it, as it is now. I likey!

Comment

I got this for $2000 with 14k miles on it, needed nothing, new tires, chain and sprockets, ran perfect. For anything more it should be very, very clean.

Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Okay, Jethro is on the list of people I hate

Very nice Jethro, that's actually the best looking '83 I've ever seen. The paint looks aftermarket silver instead of that craptacular champagne Suzuki came out with. Why do you squirrel eating fools always find the good deals? Anyway, that bike looks great, saved the picture for a possible '83 project that might come my way someday. Nice seat, is that a stock recover?

Comment

Well, since everyone else is showing off their 1100's............

I paid $3300 plus taxes for this one in 1983, brand new from Lombard Kawasaki-Suzuki. It has almost 40,000 miles on it and runs better than new. If I were to sell it (not likely!) I wouldn't realistically expect to get more than $2500 for it but you never know........

The seat cover is similar to Jethro's, from Sargent. We both installed them ourselves.

Thanks,
                    Joe

P.S. I need to take a newer pic, it now has braided stainless brake lines front and rear, Pirelli Sport Demon tires, Ikon rear shocks, and an Iron Butt Association 'World's Toughest Riders' license plate frame.
                    Last edited by Joe Nardy; 03-29-2007, 12:17 AM.
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Curse you Joe Nardy...

On your next ride may your groin be infested by a thousand half-starved saber toothed crotch crickets. Seriously, that's a dang nice ride. Best one dressed in blue ever and the original owner to boot!

Comment

Yah, you all suck. Look at me, I have an 1100, na, na, nanana! I can't find one to save my life.

Anyway, I'm gonna go look at a zrx1100 this weekend, so there...Old skool look, modern performance gear, which is what I was looking to do with an 1000e anyway. :razz:

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver View Post
                          Very nice Jethro, that's actually the best looking '83 I've ever seen. The paint looks aftermarket silver instead of that craptacular champagne Suzuki came out with. Why do you squirrel eating fools always find the good deals? Anyway, that bike looks great, saved the picture for a possible '83 project that might come my way someday. Nice seat, is that a stock recover?
                          That was about 3 days after I brought it home in Sept of 2003 I think. There are quite a few changes since then. Braided lines, oil cooler, rear rack, original pipes and stock airbox, new rear shocks, etc. The paint is an overspray, decently done, but not perfect. As Joe said, the seat is a cover and foam from Sargent in Florida. $65 and a half hour of labor really updates the bike if you ask me. Here is an updated pic, complete with some fat dude...
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                            Yah, you all suck. Look at me, I have an 1100, na, na, nanana! I can't find one to save my life.

Anyway, I'm gonna go look at a zrx1100 this weekend, so there...Old skool look, modern performance gear, which is what I was looking to do with an 1000e anyway. :razz:
                            ZRX1100? I had one of those too.............

Awesome bike and they can be picked up for relatively cheap. The 1100 had plenty of power but the 1200 was a significant upgrade and don't command a lot more money. The ZRXOA (ZRX Owners Association) website has tons of info about performance, handling, and comfort upgrades. For an all-around bike that combines power, handling, comfort, and price the ZRX is very hard to beat.

Thanks,
                            Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Hey now, Joe's bike isn't original Suzuki blue! Mine is!

Click for biggie: http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/2...-30-05-001.jpg

I paid $2200 for mine which included the original black chrome exhaust (not-installed), original seat, Corbin seat, oil cooler, and original bars. It needed only an air filter and brake pads, but installed Progressive fork springs as well.

This winter it's getting stainless steel brake lines, softer front brake pads, new rear shocks, and a valve cover gasket.

From the sound of that guy you mentioned in the first post, I'd call him and maybe ask for some pictures. If it looks good...take $2000-2200 cash with you and wave it in his face if you like how it shifts.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X