Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I rode my GS for the first time today :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rode my GS for the first time today :)

Well, a few weeks ago, after a long, long, loooonng wait (5 freaking months!), I finally received the paperwork from the MSF course that I successfully completed this past October... So I paid a few visits to the DMV and wound up with my plate and everything ready to go as of yesterday!

So, today when I got home, I threw on all my gear and spent a good hour or so cruising around the smaller residential streets here and practiced with the stop signs and tried to tighten up my turns a bit. When I got confident enough, I ventured out onto some slightly bigger roads and topped off my tank at the nearest gas station before I headed back home--I didn't really want to push too hard. I think a lot of parking lot practice is still in order, but the 650G feels good!

I did it..!

Good job! Fun, isn't it ?

Comment

Perhaps your avitar says it all?:-D Glad to see you've weighed the risks/rewards and opted to minimize your risks. Have a blast!!\\/

Comment

Excellent! :-D
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Onya Jinkz

All the best with it.

Brenno

Comment

And the picture of the bike is where...
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
              And the picture of the bike is where...
              It turned up in an older thread somewhere, but in case you missed it, here is a shot from a few months ago. It looks the same now, but not as cold out, hehehe

Comment

Woohoo!! Glad you got everything together and can enjoy it now!! Can't wait to ride with you!!

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                  Woohoo!! Glad you got everything together and can enjoy it now!! Can't wait to ride with you!!
                  So get off your a$s, stopp buying bikes! and get into the MSF course.

I'm loosing patience !!

Jinkeez GREAT !!

See you in June. And help Shirley, feel free to kick her butt to get into a class.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
                    So get off your a$s, stopp buying bikes! and get into the MSF course.

I'm loosing patience !!

Jinkeez GREAT !!

See you in June. And help Shirley, feel free to kick her butt to get into a class.
                    Hehe he! He's a talkin' to you, Shirley....guess ya best get a movin'....:-D
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Jink,

Hey, Go ahead and take it slow. Chances of problems may be small, but concequences could be large.

Keep in mind that going straight down the road and going thru the gears is the easy part, you or about anybody can learn to do that fairley quick. The hard part is stopping and starting, and one of the hardest parts is getting going from a stop and immeadaitly making a 90 degree turn, which is what is required to pull out of your driveway.

SO yah, take some time in parking lot or neighborhood streets, before mixing it up with heavy traffic or going on challanging roads. While practicing: Use both brakes, well, maybe let off front brake as coming to a stop. But get in habit of using both brakes. Practice in parking lot till most everything is habit. Cant stop to figure out what to do while rounding a curve and a car is backing out of a driveway.

Friend of mine wanted to get bike. I offered and suggested and offered and harrassed and offerd to let her use our old beat up SHadow 500 for some practice first. I could give her lessons, her husbband could give her lessons, she could take it herself if she prefered. But NOOooo, she had "ridden dirt bike when younger". So they go and buy a brand new Sportster, brand new - and she wants to ride it home - and she dumps it at an intercection - 4 miles on the odometer (she not hurt).

Nice looking 650 (I had 82 650G from new for 20+ years, pic on weblink). Has been nice looking for 20 some years, right? and you would like it to continue to be nice looking, right? So, yah, dont feel bad about taking it easy.

DAVE
                      Last edited by Redman; 03-31-2007, 08:34 AM. Reason: spulleng

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Congrats on a successful first ride!\\/ My moment came when I got an old CB200 running and was able to take up and down the alley a few times!:-D

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Jink,

Hey, Go ahead and take it slow. Chances of problems may be small, but concequences could be large.

Keep in mind that going straight down the road and going thru the gears is the easy part, you or about anybody can learn to do that fairley quick. The hard part is stopping and starting, and one of the hardest parts is getting going from a stop and immeadaitly making a 90 degree turn, which is what is required to pull out of your driveway.

SO yah, take some time in parking lot or neighborhood streets, before mixing it up with heavy traffic or going on challanging roads. While practicing: Use both brakes, well, maybe let off front brake as coming to a stop. But get in habit of using both brakes. Practice in parking lot till most everything is habit. Cant stop to figure out what to do while rounding a curve and a car is backing out of a driveway.
                          Absolutely! I feel like I'm taking the 90-degree turns pretty wide, so that's definitely something I want to work on for a bit

Thanks!

Comment

Congrats Jinx! Sounds like you're doing things smart. That's just what I would recommend. Nice looking bike too. I'd like one to get the missus riding.

Comment

A pic of a bike with snow all around is the sign of a true rider.
                              Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X