General Zod & his GS400 ratbike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Zod & his GS400 ratbike!

Okay folks, check out this link first to see where this all started.
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Here's a pic of the General & his "custom" GS400.

I met up with the General today to try to get his scooter running. From the original thread it sounded like the initial problem was electrical. He wasn't charging the battery. Logically, if the electrical system is weak, so too would the spark. We decided to start here.

Armed with a digital volt meter & a copy of the Stator Papers, we confirmed the charging system was faulty. Less than 12VDC with the motor running. To make a long story short, I got down to the step where it is recommended to check the black/white wire from the RR to ground (his '78 has a seperate regulator & rectifier). There is a hint to look for rubber mountings for these components, which would not be an appropriate ground. Well there was no rubber. Both parts (and their ground wires) were securely attached to the battery box...

Okay, were you faster than me? It took me a while to realize that the battery box itself is rubber mounted to the frame, and therefore not a good ground. After I finished head-butting the shed door, I felt much better about what I discovered. We removed the black/white wires and ran a jumper to the frame ground. Sure as shootin', she's now charging the battery. Not the best readings, but a vast improvement. 13.2VDC at 2500 rpm, & 13.8VDC at 5000rpm. This bike has had many splices & shaky repairs done to the wiring, and it would be best to do a proper re-wiring.

Just about this time my buddy Ken (Jadesystem) showed up on his GS1150 to "supervise" the operation. We couldn't have done it without him!

Oh yeah, more pics. Tom MLC & the General after successful troubleshooting.

Finishing up some wire repairs. What's that in the background? A GS invasion?

I wanted to move on to the carbs but, she was running very nicely. And I couldn't get the philips screws out to hook up the sync gages. No impact tool handy. We'll have to tackle that challenge later. In the mean time, how 'bout a road test?

Look at that smile! Just about says it all, eh? Ken (Jadesystem) in the background.

Oh man! This is a cool hot rod!

Nothin' like a good running bike to put a smile on your face! She still needs lots of work tho'. The chain is stretched and the sprockets are worn. Front forks are leaking, and the bike wants to pull to the right. We can roll up our sleeves and hit these challenges together.

I'm glad I could help a young brother get his bike running. Made a good friend, too. All because of a common interest in these old GS'es.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2007, 09:56 AM.

Good on 'ya, Tom!
    Last edited by renobruce; 05-29-2007, 04:01 PM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Here is what I meant about pulling plugs.

Just let the bike run on one cylinder at a time by removing one spark plug wire at a time. You'll have to raise the idle speed with the throttle stop to get it to run on one cylinder after warming the bike up first. Start with the cylinder with no idle speed adjuster on the carb itself and adjust the mixture screw for the highest smoothest idle you can get. Pay attention to the tach reading after adjusting the mixture. Then switch to the other cylinder. Adjust it for the smoothest idle then adjust its idle speed using its individual adjuster to match the cylinder you already did. After you're done you'll need to drop the idle speed back down with the throttle stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
        Here is what I meant about pulling plugs.

Just let the bike run on one cylinder at a time by removing one spark plug wire at a time. You'll have to raise the idle speed with the throttle stop to get it to run on one cylinder after warming the bike up first. Start with the cylinder with no idle speed adjuster on the carb itself and adjust the mixture screw for the highest smoothest idle you can get. Pay attention to the tach reading after adjusting the mixture. Then switch to the other cylinder. Adjust it for the smoothest idle then adjust its idle speed using its individual adjuster to match the cylinder you already did. After you're done you'll need to drop the idle speed back down with the throttle stop.
        I see what you mean, Billy. I prefer to use a COLORTUNE to adjust each mixture screw for the best burn condition in the cylinder. Then on this model GS400 there is a "balancer" screw between the carbs. Requires a sync gage to make this adustment. The book calls for 1750 rpm, then adjust this screw to balance the two carbs.

Comment

Big Thanx!

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
          Okay folks, check out this link first to see where this all started.
          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Here's a pic of the General & his "custom" GS400.

I met up with the General today to try to get his scooter running. From the original thread it sounded like the initial problem was electrical. He wasn't charging the battery. Logically, if the electrical system is weak, so too would the spark. We decided to start here.

Armed with a digital volt meter & a copy of the Stator Papers, we confirmed the charging system was faulty. Less than 12VDC with the motor running. To make a long story short, I got down to the step where it is recommended to check the black/white wire from the RR to ground (his '78 has a seperate regulator & rectifier). There is a hint to look for rubber mountings for these components, which would not be an appropriate ground. Well there was no rubber. Both parts (and their ground wires) were securely attached to the battery box...

Okay, were you faster than me? It took me a while to realize that the battery box itself is rubber mounted to the frame, and therefore not a good ground. After I finished head-butting the shed door, I felt much better about what I discovered. We removed the black/white wires and ran a jumper to the frame ground. Sure as shootin', she's now charging the battery. Not the best readings, but a vast improvement. 13.2VDC at 2500 rpm, & 13.8VDC at 5000rpm. This bike has had many splices & shaky repairs done to the wiring, and it would be best to do a proper re-wiring.

Just about this time my buddy Ken (Jadesystem) showed up on his GS1150 to "supervise" the operation. We couldn't have done it without him!

Oh yeah, more pics. Tom MLC & the General after successful troubleshooting.

Finishing up some wire repairs. What's that in the background? A GS invasion?

I wanted to move on to the carbs but, she was running very nicely. And I couldn't get the philips screws out to hook up the sync gages. No impact tool handy. We'll have to tackle that challenge later. In the mean time, how 'bout a road test?

Look at that smile! Just about says it all, eh? Ken (Jadesystem) in the background.

Oh man! This is a cool hot rod!

Nothin' like a good running bike to put a smile on your face! She still needs lots of work tho'. The chain is stretched and the sprockets are worn. Front forks are leaking, and the bike wants to pull to the right. We can roll up our sleeves and hit these challenges together.

I'm glad I could help a young brother get his bike running. Made a good friend, too. All because of a common interest in these old GS'es.
          I'm really stoked to meet you and hang out with both you and Ken.I rode the bike to work the next morning. It runs way better than it did.You got the magic touch!Couldnt have done this without you.Glad to make NEW FRIENDZ!!!!Hit me up if you're in town......I'll BBQ.

Comment

Good on Tom for helping out! He's helped me with parts, and I'm sure he'd help with repairs, cept for the 2500 mi + ride to my house.

Comment

Man it's so cool when people here get together and help each other out!

Zod, what did you use for the seat? I'm looking to fab a solo seat for one (or more) of my bikes and pans for the GK are the holy grail (or one of many) of motorcycling... like how long did it take manufacturers to figure out if they're going to put the battery under the seat, DON'T use a metal pan?? Sulfuric acid + metal = rust. Guess they didn't take chemistry classes... not that I took many or that I was good at any of 'em, but even I know that!

Anyway, what did you have to do to make it work?

Comment

I'm on the other side of the world and I got tingles reading this thread.

You guys (U.S) call 'em Buddies, we call 'em Mates. Whatever you call 'em - they're good to have.

Comment

great story!

Great story! I liked how the thread began with General freaking out & totally bummed, but ended with a huge grin on his bike! \\/

General, you've got yourself a sweet little cafe racer - enjoy!

*Shirley, by your comments, I'm assuming that you'll be one of my competitors for getting the next GK seat pan on eBay! Holy grail indeed...I think the last one I saw went for close to $200! I might end up coughing up the $300 or so for a spakin' new Corbin...the one I'm using now doesn't have much metal left on the pan...mostly rust & duct tape! :-D

Comment

Tom is a first class guy. Always willing to help. He and others like him are what this site is all about. =D>
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                      Tom is a first class guy. Always willing to help. He and others like him are what this site is all about. =D>
                      Aw, Shucks! Thanks Bruce. (I guess you got the check ;-) )

Comment

Working...
                      X