First CRASH! oops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First CRASH! oops

ok, so it's actualy the second time I've gone onto my side, but the first time was at 2km/h, and caused little to no damage. I toppled over

so I approaching an intersection (King and Dundurn, heading north on dundurn, Hamilton), trying to move left so i can make a turn. It was raining lightly for some time, and the roads were wet. Some 40 year-old poo-for-brains man steps out infront of me from behind a parked truck, tryin to J walk (15 feet from the corner). I braked hard, realized quickly i wouldn't be able to stop, so i swerved left. I missed the guy completely, but i lost the rear tire, (I think i might have still been lightly on the rear brake) I tried to recover, but the rear came out and I went lowside into the intersection.

My one stroke of luck was that both ways had red lights at the time.

I didn't feel anything broken or bleeding, so i picked up the bike and tried to start it. it started with a little trying, and so i tried to ride it into a grocery story parking lot. The chain snapped after a few seconds, and got bunched up in my case, but i had enough speed to coast into the lot.

I get to a stop, and ask the first guy with a bike rack if he has a 10mm wrench. he produces a 16 inch adjustable, which he lends me. turns out the guy is also an Emergency Ward doctor, and so he checks me for any damage. turns out I'm fine.

there is a bike shop around the corner, so I run there to get a new snap link (that's what failed, thank god), and start re-attaching the chain. inside the case there is a plate that holds the grease seal around the clutch rod and the final drive bearing in place. that plate got hit and had buckled and folded into the way of the chain. so i had to use the wrench to beat this plate out of the way, and back into place, to be straitened and flattened on the anvil later.

got the chain back on with a little more 'adjustment' from the wrench, and was able to ride home to check out the rest of the damage.

Total damage:
    - My Pride
    - my bars, some scraping, but not bend that i can see
    - left foot peg, bent up, and has to be beaten back into place
    - chain
    - bearing retention plate

Completely missed the jwalker. for all the trouble he caused me, I kinda wish I'd at least knicked him.

you may have done less damage to your bike if you had hit him, but then theres medical bills......

hey, it could have been worse....

Comment

Glad you are ok ..

Did you have time to signal your appreciation to the jaywalker?

Comment

nope. by the time I looked up and back at the guy, he had bolted half way down the block, full tilt run.

all and all I'm glad i missed him. I'm even more glad that i wear full safety gear, helmet to boots, every inch is covered and armoured.

BUT IF I EVER FIND THAT S.O.B....

Comment

Glad you're alright and the bike will be ok.
          People don't realize that the rules are there for reasons.

Comment

Glad to hear you are well and I didn't get to see it on the CHCH news at supper. Damn good thing you had your safety gear on and your swerve training came out when you needed it. The last few weeks I've seen so many young guys whiping around in shorts,Ts and running shoes. That's a big ouch waiting to happen.

That's a nasty intersection and I've seen lots of crunches there ( mostly cages..thank the lucky stars).

Lucky the local Zook dealer is just around the corner and they had what you needed.

Real shame the idiot didn't get clipped...he might have learned something (but I doubt it). No balls either...leaving the scene of an accident without trying to help out.What a pr...

Hope you can get the bike sorted and you get back in the saddle soon.

Good luck.
            Spyug

Comment

ya.. the intersection kinda greasy too. I slipped my rear tire that same day there, only an hour and a half earier.

the bike is bodged back together, and very rideable, but i need to get a new retaining plate, or the bearings will need to be repacked.

Comment

With the adrenaline I would of chased that guy down and kicked his a$$ :?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well you really lucked out in a tough situation. Glad you're ok SO I EXPECT TO SEE YOU HAMILTON FOLKS AT MY RALLY NEXT YEAR!!! Geez... Ron was the only Cannuck representin... WTF?

Comment

Can't blame me Ms Fab, I've only been on the road for about a month now..... (riding the **** outta lola too)

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
                      Can't blame me Ms Fab, I've only been on the road for about a month now..... (riding the **** outta lola too)
                      Pfft... I have four bikes and still waiting to get something roadworthy... it's close, oh so close...

Be here next year??? You missed one helluva time... and by then you'll have some seat time under your belt to feel confident enough to deal with those bastages at customs and the somewhat boring roads out to the site :-D

Seriously... glad you're ok. Could have gone a lot worse, as you know, and learn as much from it as you can.

Comment

give me directions, and I'm there. I'm always up for a ride, but I do hate border crossings. although, I've found telling them I'm on my way to a frat convention helps.

I really don't think i could have asked for my accident to have gone any better. I truely am happy i didn't square the guy, even if he was being dumb and then gutless. I'm grateful i took the rider training course, and that everyone was stopped when i went into the intersection. the cages behind me saw what happened and were well onto their brakes too.

I've said it before. Accidents, injury, even death, is a part of what we do as riders, and knowing this we still mount up and give'r, and accept what consiquences may come. all that i can do is brush off, count my limbs, and try to become a better rider, and learn more about the limits of my machine.
                        The way I see it, if you are not willing to venture everything at least once in a while, then you might as well be dead. Only by tempting fate and dancing with death can you discover and appreciate what it truely means to live.

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
                          give me directions, and I'm there. I'm always up for a ride, but I do hate border crossings. although, I've found telling them I'm on my way to a frat convention helps.

I really don't think i could have asked for my accident to have gone any better. I truely am happy i didn't square the guy, even if he was being dumb and then gutless. I'm grateful i took the rider training course, and that everyone was stopped when i went into the intersection. the cages behind me saw what happened and were well onto their brakes too.

I've said it before. Accidents, injury, even death, is a part of what we do as riders, and knowing this we still mount up and give'r, and accept what consiquences may come. all that i can do is brush off, count my limbs, and try to become a better rider, and learn more about the limits of my machine.
                          The way I see it, if you are not willing to venture everything at least once in a while, then you might as well be dead. Only by tempting fate and dancing with death can you discover and appreciate what it truely means to live.
                          Oh, That's good.

Comment

thanks

it's true though

Comment

I am pretty sure Kevin made the entire story about a guy walking in front of him up. Here is what really happened......

Kevin was riding along king street when he saw a vending machine selling used womens panties, like they have in Japan. He tried to stop and ended up locking the rear tire up and had to put it down so he would not hit the vending machine and damage the precious womens underwear.

I took a few beers to get the truth out of him but there it is
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM. Reason: to make funnier

Comment

Working...
                              X