Harley riders, Mad Max, BOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley riders, Mad Max, BOM

Yes, it is a story...and I will mention GS's along the way, to keep the theme..

Anyway, I went for a nice ride Sunday. It was perfect. No a-hole cagers, weather was great, no traffic, beautiful sights.
    I was about an hour into my ride, and was looking for a place to eat. I almost zoomed by this little hole in the wall. Parked my bike next to a really nice, shiny Harley. I always laugh to myself, seeing as how mine is all dented and chopped up. I go inside, and I see a man with his wife enjoying their pizza. I order mine, get a Yoo-Hoo, get my slice, and sit down at the table next to them. The guy asked me if I wanted a slice from their pie, since they couldn't finish it. I politely said no, but he went on how huge the pie was and how he and his wife couldnt finish. So I said what the hell, gimme a slice. He was a "typical" biker from his looks. Tattoo's, long hair, beard...all that..We got to talking about bikes, rides, etc. Turns out they are from Lancaster PA, and were on thier way up to Vermont for a few days. He has a 1500cc bike (dont ask me what it is...an Electraglide...?) and asked him about gas mileage, ride feel, etc. They were the nicest people, and I want to thank them again for the slice! Dont judge a book by it's cover.

I head out, super full, and continue on enjoying the scenery. It looked like it would rain, and I was hoping it would hold off. I go up through Saugerties, and lo and behold they are having their yearly classic car show!! YAY! Got a great parking spot, saw a GS parked. Walked and looked at the rides, and then I saw this....

It was hard to get a pic of it....all the guys were drooling over it, pratically killing each other to get a pic of it. It's an exact replica.(Or so the billboard claimed). Right hand drive, and check out that exhaust!! Everything paled in comparison. I love those TV show cars.
    I only stayed for about 45 minutes, then hit the road again. Went through Woodstock, and then up to the Ashokan Reservoir. After 9/11, they were VERY strict. At first, only residents could ride around. They eventually let in the "outsiders", but NO picture taking. My mom lives up there, and I saw there was no more DEP officers in their booth, so I snapped a few shots. Then, a DEP truck passed me by. I have heard horror stories of where they'll confiscate your camera, so I was a little nervous. He kept on driving, so I would assume you can now take pics.

Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2007, 10:05 PM.

A couple more...

No, that's not MY oil slick...

Continued on my way, passed by my Mom's, and headed towards my friend Vic's house, and I saw this....

I HAD to see wth it was....upon further inspection...

One of the weirdest things I have seen.... I dont understand it, but it was interesting enough to snap a few more pics. I'm going to see if I can get it for free and then part it out. Ha-ha-ha...
    Saw my friend Vic, and we had coffee, cake and ice cream. Yakked about cars, showed him my pics, and made plans for the following weekend.
    I got home about 11pm (started at 1pm) and I was POOPED.
    It was one of the best rides I've had, and I just wanted to share it. Hope you all have a great time out there as well!!

Comment

Hey, where is that old GL on the side of the road... is there a possibility that we rode past it on the way to the Catskills from Newburg? I swear I saw that thing.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        Hey, where is that old GL on the side of the road... is there a possibility that we rode past it on the way to the Catskills from Newburg? I swear I saw that thing.
        You probably did!! It's on 44/55 heading towards New Paltz.

Comment

Originally posted by speedzter2000 View Post
          You probably did!! It's on 44/55 heading towards New Paltz.
          Yep, remember seeing that on the side of the road. That 44/55 was a good road with some real great twisties.

Hey, great to see you back on two wheels again. Nice bike. Time for a road trip- see you at Moosehead?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
            Yep, remember seeing that on the side of the road. That 44/55 was a good road with some real great twisties.

Hey, great to see you back on two wheels again. Nice bike. Time for a road trip- see you at Moosehead?
            I love going through there...will be going up 209 this weekend to check out PA and get some fireworks
            Cant do Moosey No doggie sitter, and low on $$$. I will be going to that bike thing in MA on Sept 9th... How about a day ride sometime in the future...??

Comment

Holy crap! I can't believe no one has parted out the luggage, seat and other pickins on that. Don't you guys have vultures in your area??? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                Holy crap! I can't believe no one has parted out the luggage, seat and other pickins on that. Don't you guys have vultures in your area??? WTF?
                Too late! Got em.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'd love to get my hands on an MCP Interceptor. Here's why

And this .

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post

And this .

Brad bt
                    Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOVE that movie!
                    Now you can see where a lot of GS parts ended up...

Comment

Got to love Toecutter and the boys. I must have seen that movie about 100 times. I always get a chill when I see that headon bike/truck crash. My greatest personal fear.

Still a great flick for boys night.

Cheers all.
                      Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post

And this .

Brad bt
                        It's the last of the V8's,Max!
                        The car in the flick the supercharger wasn't hooked up though

Comment

Originally posted by SteveN View Post
                          It's the last of the V8's,Max!
                          The car in the flick the supercharger wasn't hooked up though
                          If you're talking about the first vid, watch the whole thing, if you haven't. The supercharger is winding out. :-D

Brad bt

Comment

HELL YEAH!!!:twisted:

Comment

Sorry, I meant the car in the movie. Here's a link about the building of the car:
                              [url]http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/interceptor/history1.html
                              The Blower
                              The supercharger is made by Weiand (pronounced "why and"). They make twisted-vane, roots-style superchargers for many after market applications. The system uses a GM 6-71 case as the base, and a Scott injector hat at the top.

On the movie car, this was all faked. The supercharger was empty and the carburettor sat inside. A small water pump was attached to the front of the supercharger to hold the drive wheel, this also moved the supercharger belt forward to clear the standard 351 water pump assembly, and the distributor has a 90 degree elbow to allow it to clear the supercharger. The supercharger belt is driven by an electric motor which is hidden by a yellow bucket in the garage scene in MM1. Weiand never had a supercharger that could be activated and deactivated. Even with huge compression it would be tough to generate 600bhp on a 351 in 1974 without rebuilding it once every couple of hundred miles.

Of course, most people building replicas have not duplicated the above convoluted setup, and have opted for a variety of different setups to duplicate the same basic effect. As long as the blower sits at the right height out of the bonnet, and the pulley spins, it doesn't matter too much what method you use to hook it all up.

Once again, if you want to know all there is to know about superchargers, and see a LOT of pictures, I will direct you to Steve Pilant's web site. He collected a lot of information and pictures, and could tell you more than I ever possibly could. Doug McQuillan has also collected together a good series of pages, and you should also take a look at his web site.

If an original Scott Injector hat is too expensive for you (and it is for most people), it is worth noting that as of September 2003, reproduction hats are now available. This has been primarily organised by Doug McQuillan at www.madmaxcar.com, with the parts themselves being manufactured by Dave Jensen in California. Basic reproduction units are available now, and true EFI units are expected to be available by November 2003. The replica part is available for purchase through either Doug's site at www.madmaxcar.com, or Rod Horner's site at www.madmaxparts.com. The pictures below (also from Doug's site) show an original hat along side a replica item. Click on the images to see a larger version of either picture.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X