First ride on fresh tires .. ahhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride on fresh tires .. ahhh

Tires on the bike when I bought it were not worn very much but were a few years old. Got new set of CS Hi Max put on today. Finished up and out for a 30 minute ride. What a difference .. especially in the curves. :-D

Mike

Rubber thats soft enough to actually grip the road surface is a different world from old, hard, look like new, tires. I will not ride on tires that are more than two years old and preferably not more than one year.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

If they're fresh, be sure to give them a hundred miles of riding before really testing them out. Fresh tires can be a bit greasy if you don't wear off the coating agent, or scrub it off with dish soap and a scrubbing pad.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        Rubber thats soft enough to actually grip the road surface is a different world from old, hard, look like new, tires. I will not ride on tires that are more than two years old and preferably not more than one year.

Earl
        Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
        If they're fresh, be sure to give them a hundred miles of riding before really testing them out. Fresh tires can be a bit greasy if you don't wear off the coating agent, or scrub it off with dish soap and a scrubbing pad.

Brad bt
        Think I have about 70 on it now. .. so we are getting there.

I didn't know either of these tips before this forum.

I keep saying it ... you guys are a big help to us.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
          Think I have about 70 on it now. .. so we are getting there.

I didn't know either of these tips before this forum.

I keep saying it ... you guys are a big help to us.

Mike
          When I first replaced the tires on my 750 I was told to take it easy for the first 100 miles. I quickly found out what the dealership meant when I gunned it leaving the shop. The rear end easily broke traction as I sped away. As I've learned from the GSR, the tires have a release agent on them and it takes a bit of miles to wear that agent off.

Brad bt

Comment

Also slowly increase your lean angle and cornering speed over the first 100-200 miles on new tires to slowly scrub away that release agent. They should be good to go after that, provided they don't have that shiny and smooth "new" look anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              Also slowly increase your lean angle and cornering speed over the first 100-200 miles on new tires to slowly scrub away that release agent. They should be good to go after that, provided they don't have that shiny and smooth "new" look anymore.
              Good tip ..

I went to a vacant parking lot .. and did about a million figure eights ..

Mike

Comment

I went to a vacant parking lot .. and did about a million figure eights ..
                I was curious to see how much of my tire I was actually using, so I took a piece of chalk and drew a line from the rim on one side across the tread and to the rim on the other side. I went for a normal easy paced ride and found after checking the chalk mark that I wasn't using much more than the center of my tires. So I went to the local parking lot and started doing smaller and smaller figure eights trying to see how far I could lean her over. I really surprised myself when I checked the chalk marks. I was using almost the entire tread area of my tires.

Comment

Originally posted by pntrdave View Post
                  I was curious to see how much of my tire I was actually using, so I took a piece of chalk and drew a line from the rim on one side across the tread and to the rim on the other side. I went for a normal easy paced ride and found after checking the chalk mark that I wasn't using much more than the center of my tires. So I went to the local parking lot and started doing smaller and smaller figure eights trying to see how far I could lean her over. I really surprised myself when I checked the chalk marks. I was using almost the entire tread area of my tires.
                  Yeah, Dave, unfortunately for us flat landers, it's a bit more difficult to wear off the chicken strips.

Brad bt

Comment

It doesn't take 100 miles to scrub in the tires unless you are on some very slick roads. It only takes a lap or two on a racetrack. Still, wiping the tire treads with a rag soaked in lacquer thinner and allowing them to dry thoroughly will remove the preservative.
                    Last edited by 1980GS1000E; 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                      It doesn't take 100 miles to scrub in the tires unless you are on some very slick roads. It only takes a lap or two on a racetrack. Still, wiping the tire treads with a rag soaked in lacquer thinner and allowing them to dry thoroughly will remove the preservative.
                      While I can't argue a specific distance, if nothing is done, like scrubbing the tire with soap and water, or lacquer thinner, it will take some distance to wear it off. Especially on the outside of the tread. I think the 100 mile figure is more to just ensure that the release agent is gone, rather than an actual fact.

And while I'd love the chance to run a couple laps at the local road course, the price of a track day is rather prohibitive for me.

Brad bt

Comment

Ooh... Track day! Motard out my TS185 & have at it. I don't want to risk my Monster or GS1150 on the track ~

JM

Comment

Working...
                        X