No announcement yet.

When Do You Throw In The Towel!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, it's not a horse that needs to be fed every day so it won't die.

Give yourself a vacation. When you've got the energy, it'll be waiting.
    Mark Fisher
    sigpic

Comment

Sometimes you just have to to throw in the towel, I had a CB750F that I pured money and time into for 2 years, when it gets to the point that it feels like a chore, and not a relaxing afternoon its time to walk away

Comment

The worst thing, in hidsight (a wonderful thing), I did was wreck out my 1100L. Same as you, it was a nightmare but I reckon if it was here now I'd have it fixed..

Comment

Now I mean no offense here, but generally when I get fed up with my motorbikes, it's because I have failed somehow to maintain a logical troubleshooting sequence.

The bike ran at one time, therefore it must run again if it is repaired correctly. There is never a time to give up.

Make sure you have another bike to ride on while you're fixing it, and fix it. That's all there is to it. You will always get discouraged sometimes, that's OK. You're not working on a rocketship with people's lives at risk. Take a step back, go for a ride on your other bike, and come back again when you have the energy.

But for the love of God make sure you have another, reasonably modern anvil-reliable motorbike to ride as well 8-[

Comment

Methinks, the problem is not within the bike...

but within the owner. Starters and associated wiring are very simple systems, very basic old school electrical items. A few wires, couple switches, and a motor. Read up on some basic electricity, and basic troubleshooting principles.
            Get a good place to work, decent tools for the work at hand, and time enough to work through it correctly.
            If this is too much, get a newer bike, that has never been altered or messed up by a previous owner, old age or corrosion.
            Life's too short to get hung up on a stupid motorcycle.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, if you don't like wrenching and problem solving, these old bikes probably aren't the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Darci View Post
                Ok, Maybe i won't sell the big hunk of iron sitting on my patio. Maybe it isn't a huge boat anchor like I had suspected. But, if the starter doesn't fix the problem, how do know when to just say "forget it" and throw in the towel?

For those that aren't familiar with my little endeavor, here is the link: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=110716

There have been times when I just feel like that's it, I'm parting her out. But, like the glutten for punishment I am, i keep at it. Am I crazy or loosing my mind?? Sometimes I wonder!!!

Has anyone been so deep into a repair that you think it will take a miracle and a million dollars to revive a "hopeless" machine from the depths of beyond??

For those of you that have thrown in the towel, were there any regrets???
                Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Comment

Working...
                X