Trip to Nelson "toad rock"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to Nelson "toad rock"

So this is my 5'th or 6'th bike. I picked it up from a towtruck friend for $500 in the winter, first bike with a seat that didnt need upholstery work done ! I had all winter to replace the air filter, plugs, tires, brakes, etc.. this is a 1984 GS450Le got it started and purred with around 28 000 km.

4 of us took off from edmonton alberta headed to nelson BC over the fairy through the mountains beautifull roads and scenic routes to the toad rock campground. (i had done this before on a 79 honda360t accompanied with 76 triumph 500 trophy trail) So the 4 of us included a fellow suzuki bandit a 78 honda 550 chopper a new triumph and myself on the GS 450. I couldnt of been happier newest bike i ever owned nice and polished dohc it was the smallest in cc but i led the pack, untill we were about 500 k from banff my bike all of a sudden dies, no juice i pull over stumped and of course with 4 motor heads we all have our 2 sense. Anyways we come to a conclusion that my battery could be toast since i hadnt replaced it maybe the cells arnt accepting charge or its just hooped so we disconnect all my lights all im running are my coils for spark, get a new battery in banff hook it up 200 k later same thing. So now we suspect the charging system either my RR or stator, finding parts and getting them was out of the question because we had no time, the trip must go on !, so on a low budget we found an old car battery in the back of a auto shop, strapped it to the back of my sissy bar and powered my coils ! with a 50 pound battery no lights and my legs as a push starter i limped it home, honestlly i've never pushed a single bike including a moped as much as this suzuki. Long story short im glad i stumbled across this site and fixed my bike as quick as i did thanks to some aftermarket parts !.

p.s. before leaving on a long trip its worth while to check the charging system !! but if all else fails CAR BATTERY !

I love my GS !

Great story. Never would have thought of the car battery idea.

Comment

Working...
    X