Stroke of genius or sunstroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stroke of genius or sunstroke?

Being relatively new to mc's and wanting to be safe one of my firts purchases was an armored mesh jacket. I never get on my bike without it, even if the temps are 90+. The thing about it that made me crazy is that, with the velcro adjustment straps on the wrists' I could never read my watch. So I bought a little clock and stuck it on top of my choke knob. Perfect! until it fell off somewhere. So I went to Walmart and bought a 9.00 watch, cut the ends of the straps off and took it to the sewing machine. Here is the result:

I would say genius...

Necessity IS the mother of invention.

Kind of reminds me of the compass I have glued to the top of my gas cap.

Hard to tell which way is North some days around here.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice color match to the jacket! I wonder if heavy velcro wouldn't have been an acceptable alternative rather than sewing it in?

Enjoy,

Comment

better rush and patent that! how do you get at the battery?

tkent02; i lived on Great Western Road for 8 months. every way is north

Comment

You'll start a fashion trend! (In the strobe, it looks like a glitter armband - Little Richard would be jealous.) Sounds practical, though.
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic
          ..............................27 years

Comment

That's excellent! When you need to change the battery, you can just use a seam ripper and carefully remove the stitches on one side. Can't imagine the whole process even taking 10 minutes to do that and stitch it back on. Perfect spot too, because I'll bet since it's on a thick flap, you probably don't even notice any feel to it at all. Nice job! Now if I only ever gave a hoot about what time it is, I might do the same...

Comment

It looks like there would be enough give to twist it around to get to the back of the watch case. I like the idea, I had until recently a $4 round digital clock that was made for sticking up inside a car. I had it two years before the glue finally gave up and it fell off the bike in the garage. It was stuck to the bar on the right hand grip, its roundness complimented the brake res nicely.

Comment

Hmmm, practical and yet tasteful without being gaudy :-D

Comment

Soooo, what time ya got?

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
                    That's excellent! When you need to change the battery, you can just use a seam ripper and carefully remove the stitches on one side. Can't imagine the whole process even taking 10 minutes to do that and stitch it back on.
                    Hey Shirl,

Although I still would go the Velcro route myself, there's no need to cut out the stitches the way he did it. Simply pop one of the wristband pins (as if installing a replacement wristband) and replace the battery easily ... then reinstall the wristband pin and you're good to go!

Regards,

Comment

Ah, true, but I've had too many of those evil pins ruin my day!! I've been known to lose a fight or two with those pesky little things!

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                      Hey Shirl,

Although I still would go the Velcro route myself, there's no need to cut out the stitches the way he did it. Simply pop one of the wristband pins (as if installing a replacement wristband) and replace the battery easily ... then reinstall the wristband pin and you're good to go!

Regards,

Comment

My GS has a clock built in to the guage cluster.

And so does the Triumph, BUT that is a cool idea.

I would need to do it on my glove gauntlet.
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

FOR PLANECRAZY AND MISSFAB.

Go for the easy route. Need to change the battery? Take your arm out of the sleeve... it's material it'll fold out of the way...

Comment

We just bought cheap wallyword watches and attached them to the handlebars. Made sure they had large numbers and buttons, then we can hit the "glow" light at night to see the time.

Comment

Working...
                            X