Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My girlfriend's first ride (verrrryyyyy loooooong)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend's first ride (verrrryyyyy loooooong)

I have been looking forward to this day for 9 months and 21 days. I have been looking forward to her finally sitting on my bike, wrapping her arms around my waist, and saying "I’m ready". Of course, I am talking about the first ride with my girlfriend.

I think I need to rewind and give you a bit of history first. When Katie and I started dating, I knew she wouldn’t ride with me until it was warmer (that was in November, and I still rode through till Christmas, but it was pretty chilly). Her mom had a rule that she couldn’t ride with me until she moved out. She knew that riding was dangerous, and even though she knew I was a safe rider, she did not trust the cars around me. Who can?

I figured that come the spring, I would try to get Katie used to the idea of riding, and maybe get her out on a few quick trips, to the store or something like that. I tried having her try my helmet on, as it is actually a small, and squeezes my face just a bit too much. I figured she could have that one, and I would buy a new one. She wouldn’t. She refused to try it on. I had no idea at the time, but after a bit of prodding, I found out that she was claustrophobic. When she finally did agree to trying it on, she got it down to her eyes before she tore it off. Yep, Claustrophobic.

Dang, what am I gonna do about that? I really wanted her to wear a full faced helmet. Oh well, it didn’t really matter, seeing as she wouldn’t be riding for a very long time.

Then my bike blew up

Well, I guess I don’t have to worry about Katie riding with me any time soon... Except I just got a new bike. A Craigslist special 85 FJ1100 for $500. I haven’t registered or insured it yet, as I have been working on making it road ready, but as of last night, it was running well, and except for a bad alternator which I have on the way, the bike is ready to ride.

I was working on the bike in the driveway when Katie came over. I started putting my tools away, and I asked her if she would just sit on it with me. I wanted her to feel how a motorcycle feels not moving. I have been trying to ease Katie into the whole riding thing, so when she finally goes on a ride with me, she isn’t taking EVERYTHING in at once. First the helmet, then sitting on the bike, then sitting on the bike while it is running, then actually riding. She hesitated, then, with a look of determination, threw her leg over, and put her feet on the pegs. I let her sit there for a minute, and when I could tell she was comfortable, I asked if I could start the bike and ride it into the garage (a whopping 15 feet). Surprisingly, she agreed, and we slowly moved into the mess I call a garage.

When she got off, I started looking at her for feedback. Was she scared? Did she like it? Would she ever get on again? She had that look that said, “I have something to say, but I’m not sure how to say it.” I asked if she liked it, and she said yes. Keep in mind the “trip” was a total of 15 feet from my driveway to my garage. I asked her if she wanted to try riding up the street, and again she said yes, after we go to dinner. But she still had that look on her face. Finally, she blurted out, “can we ride to dinner?”

My jaw dropped. Here was this girl who, as of 2 days ago, couldn’t bear the thought of putting a full faced helmet on, or sit on a parked motorcycle, and now she was asking to ride across town (on an uninsured/unregistered bike)??? I couldn’t believe it. Painfully, I explained to her that no, we couldn’t take the bike, because it was Labor Day weekend, and every person with a badge was on the lookout. Not to mention, the plate I DID have didn’t have a current inspection sticker. The last thing I wanted to do was lose the bike before we got to ride it legally.

We took the car to dinner, came back home, and I dug out my gear, and found a jacket for her. It was our goal for her to wear the half helmet, and I would wear the full face. I put the half helmet on Katie’s head, and started laughing. She looked ridiculous. The helmet was WAY too big for her, and she knew it. We decided that she had to wear the full face. Once she got the chin down over her eyes, she was absolutely fine. The helmet fit her perfectly, so I wore my half helmet.

I pulled the bike out of the garage, and fired it up. I love the way this machine sounds. I am used to my stock 4-2 on my GS750, and I work with open piped Harleys. This pipe, a Vance and Hines 4-1, is louder than stock, and growls like a beast down low, and up top it screams! But it is not as obnoxious as some of the bikes I work with.

Our first goal was to go up the street, turn around, and come back down. I already talked to her about what she is supposed to do as a passenger, and that she is the boss. If she wants to stop, we stop. I told her that if she wants to stop, to slap my leg. If she didn’t want to stop after that, we were going to ride down the street (in the other direction) to the local Rite-aide to get ice cream.

Stopping at the store, all you could see was the smile beaming off her face. She loved it! I was so happy, I could barely hold it in. She kept telling me that she wanted to ride with me, but she wasn’t ready. I always just figured she didn’t want to ride, but she didn’t want to upset me. I was afraid that I would go through life riding by myself. As much as that would have stunk, I loved this woman, and I wasn’t going to throw her away for a motorcycle.

When we dropped the ice cream off at the house, I wanted to make sure she was having fun, which she was. We went back out, just riding the side streets around my house (I didn’t want to get out where there was a higher chance of meeting a LEO). We rode until I could tell the battery was about done (remember the bad alternator?), and practically before we parked the bike, Katie was asking when we could ride again.

So in the course of a day, I went from having a girlfriend who wanted nothing to do with the bike, to having (hopefully) a lifelong riding partner!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2007, 01:43 PM.

Excellent!
    Now don't blow it!
    Ride smooth. She can't tell when it's fast enough to be scary as long as you ride smooth. If you are going too fast to be smooth, you are not good enough to ride double at that speed.
    Keep her warm.
    Get an intercom. Unless she talks too much.
    And alway, always, let her get off before you dump it.
    Congrats!
    And of course, we need pics!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Excellent!
      Now don't blow it!
      Ride smooth. She can't tell when it's fast enough to be scary as long as you ride smooth. If you are going too fast to be smooth, you are not good enough to ride double at that speed.
      Keep her warm.
      And alway, always, let her get off before you dump it.
      Congrats!
      I plan on getting an intercom at some point. I will be taking her shopping in the next few weeks to get some real gear (her own helmet, a jacket, and some gloves- she said her hands were freezing), and I will be pricing out intercoms then...

Comment

there is hope

What an awsome story, thanks. I have not been so successful in getting wife or son on my bike wife makes son afraid. I am a daily rider and consider myself safe so its encouraging to read your situation.

LOL
        Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by SabreJim View Post
          What an awsome story, thanks. I have not been so successful in getting wife or son on my bike wife makes son afraid. I am a daily rider and consider myself safe so its encouraging to read your situation.

LOL
          baby steps are good. I think it made katie more willing to get on knowing that we werent going to actually ride. and if she said "No" when I asked her if I could start the bike, I would have said ok, and not started it. the only reason we did more was because she was ok with it.

good luck! you will get there eventually....

Comment

Great story! I've got my wife driving the bike herself now. That'll give you something new to shoot for. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              Great story! I've got my wife driving the bike herself now. That'll give you something new to shoot for. ;-)
              haha, she has already admitted that she probably wont like riding her own bike, but she loves riding with me. every time I say she "Likes" it, she corrects me. she "Loves" it. \\/

Comment

Great story and great job Nate!

No pressure and the "baby step" method is a great way to do this.

Now just keep her away from Dave!

j/k****
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Great story Nate now can you get my wife back on her bike. Then that really would be amazing. Jim

Comment

nate: so far so good, the first thing my wife did was put her ankle on the exhaust pipe. this is just a heads up.

Comment

Great!

Yes, tell her to step up onto the pegs when getting on. And stand up on pegs when getting off to avoid leg on pipes.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by ikazuki View Post
                        nate: so far so good, the first thing my wife did was put her ankle on the exhaust pipe. this is just a heads up.

fortunately, she knows to get on from the left, and I have a 4-1 on the bike. I will definitely mention it to her for the future though. last thing I need is to have her burn herself and not want to ride!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
                          Great story and great job Nate!

No pressure and the "baby step" method is a great way to do this.

Now just keep her away from Dave!

j/k****
                          lmao, I think the trauma from her getting on the back of his bike would be irreversable!!!

Originally posted by cvmgtwowheels View Post
                          Great story Nate now can you get my wife back on her bike. Then that really would be amazing. Jim
                          well, all I can say is good luck!!!

Comment

its the little things that count,,,little steps to win her confidence, little mistakes "one step forward two steps back"....but it sounds like all is well so far so good..you are thinking of her instead of reacting to your impulses,,good man! take care ikazuki

Comment

redman: it was a classic example of even the most experienced make mistakes,,,,,shes been riding pillion since three years old,and she knew better,,,,but she hadnt ridden in a while,,actually the last time she was on a bike was the 80 gs 850 back in mid 80s...things that should be second nature seem to slip away....but fortunately, it didnt stop her nor did it slow her down ,,shes back just where i like her and where she likes to be....take care and thanks for the refresher,,ikazuki

Comment

Working...
                              X