My attention span is 2 carburators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My attention span is 2 carburators

I've wondered fom time to time just how it is that attention span is measured. I spent several hours carefully cleaning the gunked up carbs on my recently acquired 81 GS1000G. Confident I had cleaned each and every jet, I reassembled and reinstalled them only to discover that it was most difficult to start and required a fair amount of throttle work to get it rolling after which it went zoom zoom. After explaining my symptoms to Leon, he was quite confident that my pilot jets were clogged. OK, so I removed them and found that carb #1 & #2 still had completely clogged pilot jets. Thus my assessment of my attention span. I re-cleaned #3 & #4 also, even though they appeared to be clear, just to be sure. I still don't know how long my attention span is but I do know that as far as carburators are concerned, 2 is my limit\\/. Hopefully tomorrow will find me happily riding down the road on two wheels again after a 2 month dry spell. I'll be submitting this one for bike of the month soon.

Periodic cleaning of the carbs is a pain and I agree the limit should be 2:-D

On my 3 previous Yammies, I only ever had to deal with 2 . I got to the point with my Virago and XS to be able to get them off the bike cleaned and rebuilt then back on in 1 hour flat.

When I got my GS this year it had been sitting for about 7 years so I knew I'd need to clean them..but I was reluctant to face 4 of them. Once I screwed up the courage it went easy enough but it took about 8 hours or more. Mind you, I hadn't found the carb rebuild tutorial then..8-[

I didn't rebuild or change the o-rings at that time and the bike is not running right so I'll need to do it again. I was hoping to get through the summer and do it over the winter but I think i need to get on it sooner.

Hopefully, you were able to get things sorted and got in some saddle time.

Cheers,
    Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      Hopefully, you were able to get things sorted and got in some saddle time.

Cheers,
      Spyug.
      Got it sorted out. Seems that cured the problem but I had to flush out the brake system and then it was time to get ready for evening services. Should get to ride it tomorrow evening. Getting tags tomorrow and hopefully inspection too then its back to being a 2-wheeled commuter for the first time in 2 months \\/. The p/o just sold it to the shop cause he didn't want to pay to have the charging system upgraded and the carbs cleaned. Just so happened that I had all the necesary parts laying aroud or attached to my old GK.

Comment

Working...
      X