The Best Place to Fry a Stator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best Place to Fry a Stator!

I'm not going to bother with a poll for this One, the Obvious answer is at Home, or Near a Shop but these are Both WRONG answers! The Best place is 360 Miles from home while Riding with some of the best Folks One could hope to ever Meet! As some have probably heard by Now, the Stator on my 80GS850G Crapped out on Me this Weekend while at the Southwest Ohio KZ Rally that wound up being the GS/Concourse Rally! I was riding with the "Spirited" group let by Tom Witt (wittom) and We had had a nice Morning through the Countryside of Southwest Ohio/Indiana.
    We stopped for Lunch at Metemora Indiana with the other Two groups (about 18 Bikes in all) and then set out as a Large group to Visit a Bridge and Grist mill Nearby. We stopped at a Light in Metamora and My bike Died and the Battery Wouldn't Start it again. I pushed it and Bump started it in 2nd gear and pulled into a Parking Lot and Here came the Guys with the Tools! A quick check with a meter confirmed what We all suspected anyway, No charging was occurring. With No discussion at all it was decided that the Entire Group I had been Riding with would Return with Me to the Motel and Decide what to do. Tom Pushed Me to get Her Restarted and off We went, Tom (wittom), Jeff(8trackmind), Brian (bwringer), George(koolaidkid) and Mark (wellsmw) and Me. I managed to keep it running the 30 or so miles and once at the Motel We pulled the Battery and swapped it with a Good One and soon determined that it was the Stator for Sure and possibly the Rectifier/regulator as well.
    Brian and George offered to Ride to Indianapolis 90 Minutes away and get a Stator and tools at Brian's and Return to Repair it in the Quality Inn Lot! With threatening Skies I opted to pick up a Charger at the Tractor Supply store next door and Charge the Battery overnight and Try to make it to Brians early Sunday Morning. While we waited out the Thunderstorm at the Motel Tom Offered Me HIS bike to get home on should Mine not Start in the Morning! After the storm passed Brian and George headed home to Indy and Tom to Cincinnati while the rest of us waited on the other groups to Return. Other offers of Help came from others in the group while at Dinner but She cranked Right up in the Morning with a fully charged Battery and Off We went toward Indy, Me in front (headlight unplugged to conserve battery power) and Jeff and Mark Trailing. We rode through some Hellacious rain but made it to Brian's unscathed as Mark headed on home to Peoria. Brian was all ready with Parts, tools, and manual laid out. In less than Two hours the Stator transplant was done as well as several Infamious Phillips Screws were Replaced with Stainless Allen Heads at Brian's insistance. I won't discuss our payment agreement but let's say it was more than Reasonable! I can't think of any Group of People I would have rather been with when the Stator Died even if it was 360 Miles from Home! Here is a BIG Tip of the Helmet to Jeff, Brian, George, Mark and Tom!
    Last edited by marvinsc; 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

I an Shocked that in almost 24 hours No One has argued that in front of a bar is a better Place! Of course this isn't a V-Twin Forum.:twisted:

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Well I guess we assume somebody probably has a GK with brew in the bags anyway...

Comment

Nope, That was in the Room Fridge but I Do owe Brian and the rest a Toast for the Support.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Too bad I didn't make this rally. I carry a spare stator and R/R in my saddlebags. They're my originals that were working fine at over 40,000 miles but I replaced them last year rather than tempt fate too much.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Cool story, but ya know what? Doesn't surprise me a bit. Some of the best people in the world are right here, but don't forget you're one of 'em, Scott :-D

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
              Cool story, but ya know what? Doesn't surprise me a bit. Some of the best people in the world are right here, but don't forget you're one of 'em, Scott :-D
              Thanks Shirl and Given the Chance I Will return the Favor!

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                the Obvious answer is....

On a hill....so push starting a 500lb beast dont kill you. BTDT !
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Aw, shucks -- it weren't nothin'.

I was just glad to be able to pluck the right part from my massive pile of GS850 stuff, and that I just happened to have a gasket.

Just promise me you'll rebuild that leaky cam chain tensioner this winter, OK?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I Will Attempt to have that done before BC!:-D

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                      I Will Attempt to have that done before BC!:-D
                      Oh, it'll get done. Get the parts and bring it to my house. We need to put some carb boots on it too.

Comment

Excellent Idea, maybe We can have a Work Day while the Weather is still Nice.

I need to check out the Garage Mahal anyway!:-)
                        Last edited by marvinsc; 09-10-2007, 11:15 PM.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Sounds like a good time even with the mishap. :-D
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Great story! Here's mine, maybe we should title them. "Why every trip should also be an adventure"

When on holidays a number of years ago I was with a buddy on a '86ish GS750ES and I was on my 85 FZ750. About 250 miles from Denver in a town population about 10, his bike wouldn't start. We did some road side troubleshooting and found the stator died. There was a Harley guy in town so we tracked him down to see where our best resources for fixing it might be and he suggested a bike wrecker in Denver, too bad I can't remember the name or location. We phoned and he has a stator but it's already mid afternoon and they closed at 6 and there's no way we can make it. He said, just give me your Visa number and I'll put a stator, some oil, the gasket and any tools you might need in box and stick it in the bushes behind the shop. Us being typical trustworthy types said sure. Luckily the batteries in my FZ and his GS were the same so after we pulled all his fuses except the ignition we spent the afternoon riding fast and swapping batteries. We could actually get about 1 1/2 hours between battery swaps. After getting stopped for speeding in rush hour coming into Denver and explaining to him what was going on he not only let us go but gave us an alternate and quicker route to the shop, real nice guy. We arrived at the shop just before 7 and the guy we talked to was still there finishing up for the day, I think he just waited for us. He gave us our parts and told us to just stuff the tools through the fence when we're done, have a great trip and went home. An hour later the stator was swapped out and we were ready to go. A sane person might have called it a day and found a room but nooooooo!!!, we had to go and find the rest of our riding group somewhere in Colorado. They mentioned something earlier in the day about a little place called Grant on Hwy 285, so off we went. Make note to self, maps are flat, roads are not. We rolled into the local bar in Grant about 9:45 after riding into a high altitude snow storm and as we came through the door the barkeeper yelled "They left 15 minutes ago because of the snow, got tired waiting!!!" We said, "Got a hot rum and a room!!!" and he obliged us with both.
                            Last edited by Sandy; 09-12-2007, 11:59 AM. Reason: typos
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                            https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

And I thought this was about fried stators, eggs, and bacon.........:-D\\/

Comment

Working...
                              X