My new GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new GS

\\/I had a great day today as I picked up another GS to go along with my 82 650GL. I was snooping on craig's list earlier this week and found a 78 GS1000 for $150. The owner had ridden it the past few years but had a hard time starting it and when he did get it running it ran hot. Seat was missing and the rear tire leaked air. But for $150, I thought I'd give it a try.

This morning at first light I threw my 3 yr old and 5 yr old in the truck and we drove to pick up the bike. The pictures I had been sent were from when the guy first bought it. It was set up with a full fairing and touring seat. When I show up today it was looking more like a rat bike--black rattle can paint, no seat, fairing off, no speedo or tach. It looks to be mostly original and in decent overall condition. I need a new wheel--there is a bolt and epoxy plugging a hole in the rim.

I haven't gotten it started yet--new battery but filthy contact points. I am guessing the timing is messed up and that is what is causing most of the problems.

I have promised my lovely wife that this will not be a time or money pit. I will keep the 650 until I get this running reliably, hopefully by next march. I also need to decide if I will remake it into a sport touring bike or leave it naked and ratty. Thankfully there is a wealth of info on this site for the bike no matter what I choose to do.
    Cheers,
    Lyle

If it's a Suzuki question you have, someone here will have an answer. Good luck with the project.

Comment

Originally posted by SDBuckeye View Post
      I have promised my lovely wife that this will not be a time or money pit.
      Ha, ha, these old bikes have a way of competing for the wifes affection. Good luck with that.....good luck with the project also.

Comment

Working...
      X