smokey cuts me a break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smokey cuts me a break

So I'm riding home from big box mart on hwy. 64 today. its about 95 degrees and I got my cortech GX sport jacket and full face arai, so I'm roastin pretty good. There's a world superbike race on speed channel that starts in 5 minutes, not to mention that ice cold jug of lemonade in the fridge with my name on it.
    Around here, the cagers love to hog the left lane and run 50-55. what ever happened to the left lane being the PASSING lane??? If you want to pass anybody around here, it has to be done in the right lane. which is exactly what I did. there was a line of 8-9 left lane hogs and a clear shot in the right lane to pass them all. I signaled to the right, dropped a gear and nailed the throttle.No sooner than I had just passed them all, I hear this siren, look in my mirrors and lo and behold, a NC trooper in a "slick top" blazer with blue led strobe lights in the grille and top of the dash is right on my tail. I slow down and pull over, muttering profanities as I reach for my license and registration."Where ya goin, there hot rod"? Smokey says with a big grin. I tell him its really hot in all this gear and I just want to get home to the AC. He turned out to be a really nice guy and even
    complimented my bike.."looks pretty good for an 82" he hands me back my
    license and reg. and says"just try and slow it down a little OK buddy"?
    "oh YES SIR!!!" I said a prayer of thanks as I made it the rest of the way home. that was the first break I had gotten in years. usually I get a ticket. There may be alot of butt hole cops out there, but there's a few good cops too. I was lucky enough to find one. Now, where can I get a good deal on a radar detector?

I think a High Percentage of LEOs are riders and being properly geared up and Polite will very much increase your odds of getting off with a warning UNLESS He catches You twice in the same day!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I agree with Marvin. Most of the lawmen around here, know, that you've got to be going a little faster than the cage traffic, just to have a chance to survive.

Sometimes, though, that can even get odd, as what happened this morning, when I split the lanes at the red, got up front, just as it turned green and after a split-second assessment of left-right, gunned it and was gone.

Or so I thought. I found the petite blonde that I passed at the front of the pack in the new C-6 Corvette was on my right rear corner and matching my speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
        I agree with Marvin. Most of the lawmen around here, know, that you've got to be going a little faster than the cage traffic, just to have a chance to survive.

Sometimes, though, that can even get odd, as what happened this morning, when I split the lanes at the red, got up front, just as it turned green and after a split-second assessment of left-right, gunned it and was gone.

Or so I thought. I found the petite blonde that I passed at the front of the pack in the new C-6 Corvette was on my right rear corner and matching my speed!
        You should have asked if she wanted to wrestle...\\/

Comment

Originally posted by roscoe G coltrane View Post
          So I'm riding home from big box mart on hwy. 64 today. its about 95 degrees and I got my cortech GX sport jacket and full face arai, so I'm roastin pretty good. There's a world superbike race on speed channel that starts in 5 minutes, not to mention that ice cold jug of lemonade in the fridge with my name on it.
          Around here, the cagers love to hog the left lane and run 50-55. what ever happened to the left lane being the PASSING lane??? If you want to pass anybody around here, it has to be done in the right lane. which is exactly what I did. there was a line of 8-9 left lane hogs and a clear shot in the right lane to pass them all. I signaled to the right, dropped a gear and nailed the throttle.No sooner than I had just passed them all, I hear this siren, look in my mirrors and lo and behold, a NC trooper in a "slick top" blazer with blue led strobe lights in the grille and top of the dash is right on my tail. I slow down and pull over, muttering profanities as I reach for my license and registration."Where ya goin, there hot rod"? Smokey says with a big grin. I tell him its really hot in all this gear and I just want to get home to the AC. He turned out to be a really nice guy and even
          complimented my bike.."looks pretty good for an 82" he hands me back my
          license and reg. and says"just try and slow it down a little OK buddy"?
          "oh YES SIR!!!" I said a prayer of thanks as I made it the rest of the way home. that was the first break I had gotten in years. usually I get a ticket. There may be alot of butt hole cops out there, but there's a few good cops too. I was lucky enough to find one. Now, where can I get a good deal on a radar detector?
          Now see, that's how I would want to be as a cop.

Comment

I've never gotten a ticket on a bike. I've been pulled over at least 12-15 times, twice with my wife on the back.

Indiana does not have a helmet law, so I'm pretty much the first rider the cop's EVER seen wearing full gear (real full-face helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, armored pants) and who is sober, licensed, insured, trained, aware, awake, clean, and polite. My bikes have the stock exhaust, good tires, and are well-maintained. They seem to regard me with a touch of marvel and disbelief.

Plus, I think my Spidey-sense for locating cops and understanding where they like to hide has improved over the years. Actually, I think the last time I was pulled over on my bike was in 2005 at the Brown County rally.

Long-range surveillance photo of the perps on the scene (3 of us got pulled over):

The happy result -- warnings!
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X