Never saw that before.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never saw that before.

Work sponsered a poker run today. First Annual Ferguson Poker Run to Benefit National Kidney Foundation. About twenty bikes;not bad for a first time with little notice and less advertisement. About five guys wait for a buddy who's late so fifteen guys head out-down route 275 to the interstate (I-80/680). I had asked if people were interested in splitting into smaller groups. Reply was basicly "Hell,No!" Everybody wanted to go as a big group. Cruisers every one,Harleys,couple of Vulcans,two customs(a Big Mike Chopper and one I didn't recognize)and me on a GS 650GL. I offer to ride drag and say I'll stay with anyone who falls back. As we leave I tell myself if I find this thing life threatening-Get Out!
    I 80 in Omaha has 2-5 lanes and these guys are all over. We would never be confused with a group of BMW Riders;no precision here. Cars were passed on the left,the right.two abreast,everything crazy. I'm patient and we get into a gap berween cars and settle down and I relax a bit. Maybe the egos will back off and we can ride in a sane manner.
    In a somewhat staggered formation we head towards Iowa at about 70-85MPH (quite the slinky affect) Looking ahead there's a clear plastic bag wafting above the road ahead. As each bike passed it it would react to the blast of wind current of the bike going by. The bike in front of me (in the slot) ran it over and it shot over and up and,you guessed it,wrapped around my head catching on the brake master cylinder. No panic,pulled it off my face and flicked it over my shoulder. That's when I found out it was snagged on the master cylinder. While it never inflated completely,it caught enough air to make steering a struggle. I put on my turn signal and got off the road. I put the bag in my tank bag and took off to catch up to the group. It took me about 4 miles to catch up to the group (at about 85MPH,I'm not really comfortable at higher speeds for extended times on the 650,she handles somewhat like a shopping cart) We get to the first stop and many remember that pesky bag. No one knew I wasn't always with the group! No one looked back,let alone stopped to see if I was OK! Thanks guys!
    The run lasted about 135 miles. My riding will never be confused with Earl's,Planecrazy,Jethro,or any of the guys who use all their tires. I was astounded how slow they went through the turns. The ride was through the Loess Hills with some nice curves,55 mph speed limits except in curves,which were marked less. The group reached 70MPH in the straights regularly yet never exceeded the speed limit in the curves. I took to backing off 50 yards coming into curves to try to avoid braking while in the curves. That didn't always work. I realized the skill level was very low,even guys who have had licenses for 20 plus years. It's sad and astounding at the same time. I'm debating if I'll want to do this again. It wasn't that much fun.

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
    I'm debating if I'll want to do this again. It wasn't that much fun.
    Seems a silly way to get hurt, trying to stay back with a bunch of slowpokes.

Next time, volunteer to stay behind and take the pictures, then blast ahead to take more.
    That way you can participate without actually riding with them.

And if they all come to grief NASCAR style, you will have killer pics.

Nah, on second thought, just go for a ride.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have come to know that V Twin Parades (poker runs, Toy Runs etc.) are Not for Me. I participated in One last Year in which a Lady got Killed in Freak head on with a pick up and got stuck in another on Labor day. I would much rather make My donation from afar and Take My own Ride:?
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

When its reasonable, I'll admit I use my fair share of my tire, but overall, I consider myself pretty sane. My conservative rule of thumb for curves is double whatever is posted is a sit up and cruise, no sweat proposition. :-)
        I stay away form the poker run type gatherings also, for the same reasons you stated. I figure if one goes down, you're going to be in the middle of a train wreck with nowhere to go and no one seeing the chain of events predicting the mishap. I dont think skill level has as much to do with how long you've been riding as it does with milage and consistancy.
        I was out for a ride a few weeks ago and stopped for gas shortly after leaving the house. Got to talking with a group of V-twin cruiser riders (about 8) and they were telling me about a nice winding road they were going to go run. I had not heard of it, so asked if they minded my being "tail end charlie" to find out where it was. It was about a 40 mile highway trip to get to the beginning of the twisty road. Speed limit was 60 mph, most cage traffic was running 65-70 mph and the ride leader held a pace at 45-50 mph. I was not happy have a cage up my butt for s40 miles. When we got to the twisties, the speed limit was 45mph and curves posted between 15 and 30 mph. No one went through the curves exceeding the posted limits and they were not able to ride cleanly in their lane even at their reduced speed. It seems to be the norm for the cruiser crowd. Fortunately, they did 11 miles of curves and decided they needed to stop for lunch and some rest. LOL I thanked them for the lead to the road, waved bye and happly took the bike out of 1st gear for a change. :-)

Earl

[quote=omaharj
        The run lasted about 135 miles. My riding will never be confused with Earl's,Planecrazy,Jethro,or any of the guys who use all their tires. I was astounded how slow they went through the turns. The ride was through the Loess Hills with some nice curves,55 mph speed limits except in curves,which were marked less. The group reached 70MPH in the straights regularly yet never exceeded the speed limit in the curves. I took to backing off 50 yards coming into curves to try to avoid braking while in the curves. That didn't always work. I realized the skill level was very low,even guys who have had licenses for 20 plus years. It's sad and astounding at the same time. I'm debating if I'll want to do this again. It wasn't that much fun.[/quote]
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          When its reasonable, I'll admit I use my fair share of my tire, but overall, I consider myself pretty sane. My conservative rule of thumb for curves is double whatever is posted is a sit up and cruise, no sweat proposition. :-)
          I stay away form the poker run type gatherings also, for the same reasons you stated. I figure if one goes down, you're going to be in the middle of a train wreck with nowhere to go and no one seeing the chain of events predicting the mishap. I dont think skill level has as much to do with how long you've been riding as it does with milage and consistancy.
          I was out for a ride a few weeks ago and stopped for gas shortly after leaving the house. Got to talking with a group of V-twin cruiser riders (about 8) and they were telling me about a nice winding road they were going to go run. I had not heard of it, so asked if they minded my being "tail end charlie" to find out where it was. It was about a 40 mile highway trip to get to the beginning of the twisty road. Speed limit was 60 mph, most cage traffic was running 65-70 mph and the ride leader held a pace at 45-50 mph. I was not happy have a cage up my butt for s40 miles. When we got to the twisties, the speed limit was 45mph and curves posted between 15 and 30 mph. No one went through the curves exceeding the posted limits and they were not able to ride cleanly in their lane even at their reduced speed. It seems to be the norm for the cruiser crowd. Fortunately, they did 11 miles of curves and decided they needed to stop for lunch and some rest. LOL I thanked them for the lead to the road, waved bye and happly took the bike out of 1st gear for a change. :-)

Earl
          LMAO - GAWD I'VE MISSED U EARL - 14 BILLION POSTS AND YA STILL BUGGER YOUR QUOTES LOL
          ':-D

Comment

Working...
          X