First ride with my son Adam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride with my son Adam

Adam and I were able to sneak in a short ride this evening. He and I have never ridden together though he has chased me in a car several times.

He found a key to my little 1982 GS300L in his Christmas stocking the other day \\/. .. so he will be getting his first riding season on it.

We rode after dark, so it was short and no good photos available, but I am looking forward to many future rides.

One day, we hope to get his older brother Chris up for all three of us to ride together. There will be pics for sure if that happens.

Mike

Congrats on the first ride. \\/

Any chance that key was wrapped up in a certificate for an MSF course? That will help ensure a good start to his riding career. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good advice .. will be done when they start back up locally in the spring ..

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Congrats on the first ride. \\/

Any chance that key was wrapped up in a certificate for an MSF course? That will help ensure a good start to his riding career. 8-[

Comment

I have no idea how long you have been riding or when the last class was that you took, but you might want to look into taking the same class with your son. :shock:

The first safety class I ever took was a beginner class with my older son, and that was after I had been riding (and had my license) for over 25 years. Yes, I learned some stuff, too, so it was not wasted time. I think it also reinforced the motorcycing bond between us, because I knew what he was taught in class, and was able to tailor that to what we experienced out on the road later.

Besides, it was a bit of a kick, riding my 980-pound, 1300cc six-cylinder touring bike to the class, then hopping on the 250cc Nighthawks. \\/

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am one of those re-entry riders who always intended to go .. but never made it .

Yes I totally agree that it would be great to go through it together and that is in the plan.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I have no idea how long you have been riding or when the last class was that you took, but you might want to look into taking the same class with your son. :shock:

Comment

Mike,

May not want to wait too long to sign up for a MSF class. Around here they are pretty much full before spring.

My son and I took class together after he had a couple months experience and I had 20+ years. IT was great.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Good idea .. I will check on it this week ..

Mike

Comment

Congratulations Mike.

I know how you must feel. My son and I took our first ride together last summer. He is 23 so he is an adult, but still my kid. Part of me was not real enthusiastic about the idea of him riding, but on the other hand I knew we would enjoy riding together. He bought a Suzuki VS 1400 Itruder. That may sound like a lot of bike for a beginner, but actually is more easy to ride than my gs750L because it has a lower center of gravity. Just have to respect all that torque and power. He rode it up and down our long driveway for a week or two until I felt he had some feel for it. Then after he got his permit we went for a slow ride on a 4 lane highway that has a low traffic load, then on some country roads. Mid way through the summer we rode around Lake Superior along with my brother and his son. It was a wonderful trip, one of those father son things that will always be remembered by both of us.

We plan to take a MSF class this summer together.

Greg o

Comment

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
                  Congratulations Mike.

I know how you must feel. My son and I took our first ride together last summer. He is 23 so he is an adult, but still my kid. Part of me was not real enthusiastic about the idea of him riding, but on the other hand I knew we would enjoy riding together. He bought a Suzuki VS 1400 Itruder. That may sound like a lot of bike for a beginner, but actually is more easy to ride than my gs750L because it has a lower center of gravity. Just have to respect all that torque and power. He rode it up and down our long driveway for a week or two until I felt he had some feel for it. Then after he got his permit we went for a slow ride on a 4 lane highway that has a low traffic load, then on some country roads. Mid way through the summer we rode around Lake Superior along with my brother and his son. It was a wonderful trip, one of those father son things that will always be remembered by both of us.

We plan to take a MSF class this summer together.

Greg o
                  That is awesome .. good clean fun and great memories too.

Adam has done a lot of miles in a large parking lot .. but very few in traffic, so I was a nervous wreck. I went through the same with my older son Chris a year ago. .. it does get easier.

Both are good riders for the amount of experience they have .. and I look forward to many more rides with them as I am sure you do with your son.

Mike

Comment

Man I can't wait to ride with my son! He's only 1yr, so I've got some waiting to do...

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                      Man I can't wait to ride with my son! He's only 1yr, so I've got some waiting to do...
                      Trust me .. he will be 18 years old before you know it !

Mike

Comment

My son and I took our first ride together in 04. We road 2 lane roads from Gresham to Klamath Falls and back. Followed a couple river and crossed a couple passes. Got rained on and roasted. I was on my 1980 1100 LT and my son road his 1983 GS 550 ES. The round trip was just short of 700 miles.
                        The trip was 6 days long, with 3 of them spent in a time share in Klamath Falls and 3 days riding, 2 out and 1 back. We both averaged 52 miles to the gallon on those old bikes which ran like Swiss watches the entire trip. It was a good trip for the both of us to practice our riding and cornering skills, which we discussed at each stop. I would follow him and then he would follow me. It was fun to watch his skills develop with each passing mile.
                        V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Nice story .. thanks for sharing that. I'm smiling and I wasn't even there.

Mike

Comment

T3Rmin,

Enjoy them while they are young. I wish I could go back in time to hold my 1 year old son, but somehow he grew up, as well as my daughter. She gave us a granddaughter a year and a half ago, and I am so lucky to live close enough to hold her. Last week we built snowmen and went sledding together. My point is spend all the time you can with your kids. I was a work aholic when I was younger, and missed a lot of time with my kids when they were small.

Greg O

Comment

I remember the first ride with my son was when he was 7 and I got him a TY80 Yamaha Trials bike. We both rode trials for quit a few years after that.

When he was 16 I helped him get an 81 CM400E Honda and I followed him around on my V-65 Sabre.

They make great memories.

My son is 21 now married and in school doing well. I got a neglected 82 CB900C going that he's riding back and forth to school on now.

Comment

Working...
                              X