West Michigan Motorcycle Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Michigan Motorcycle Show

Some of you have posted about going to the International Motocycle Show in some of the larger citys. I had concidered going to the International SHows in either Chicago or Detroit (3 hour drive either way) but was thinking that I really would not be that interested in new bikes to go that far. Heck, just last week I bought a 1982 magazine.

But I did go to the West Michigan Motorcyle Show in nearby Grand Rapids. It was advertized as lots of bikes and something about a talented dance group.

Was also the "Golf Show" in the other room at the same place. Was a line up at the ticket booths. Was not too hard to tell which booth was for the golf show and which was for the bike show, just by looking at the folks in the line.

There was a few local motorcycle dealers, a few custom build shops, a couple of local stunt groups, a few vendors like leather good and such, and of course a couple insurance agencys booths. And was also a few other booths for things like beef jerky and basement wall crack sealing services, so that was probably differnet than the international show.

Had four bikes up front on a raised platform to vote on.
    This is one of those four. Is a bagger, maybe gave me some ideas for my GK, eh?

And an other of the 4 up front

And there was a couple other areas with local bikes on display.
    This one is maybe what can do with the Shadow500.

(also notice the empty floor space around it)

Or maybe this is more like the Shadow.

(this area is by the window overlooking the Grand River)

<< opps 4 picture limit.>>
    <<continued next posting.>>
    Last edited by Redman; 03-01-2008, 01:42 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

I did look at new bikes. The Yamaha dealer was all Star cruisers. No FJR, and I did pester the owner about that. The Victory dealer had that new big touring bike that looks like nothing else. They had it leant over on its side resting on the bag mount brackets. And Suzuki dealer had lots of Boulvards, but the B-King getting the most attention.

Did look at Harley dealer area, they had this twin cam engine with parts cut away so can see internals moving. During the short time I was there 2 different guys stopped to point out what parts failed on thier bike.

Oh, maybe you are intersted in the "talented dance group".
    They are called "Purrfect Anglz" or something like that. They said it was a group of 24 but there was 8 of them there. Most of them introduced themselfs and stated thier background. Most had been professional NFL cheerleaders and/or been in music vidios and/or toured with well known rock groups. And some of them did sing.

So, yah, I quess they were talented. But I think there may have been other requirements also.

And the music was terrible loud, so I wandered back to the bikes.

Here, I found this intersting. An old Guzzi in great condition. (early 70s? dont recall)

And as rare as that must be, and as few other bikes that were there, and look .... there is another one not too far away. About only difference I could see was a different configuration of seat and luggage rack. Both are 850 Eldorados (and not same owner).

After awhile the Purfect Anglz were walking thru the show, in even skimpier outfits than I saw on stage.

So probably a lot different than the International shows.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

in 72 i had a white eldorado 850 moto guzzi. the near one looks like it except it had the full length black seat bates fairing and fiberglass saddlebags. shes the one i rode from boca raton fl to paducah ky 1000 plus miles in 15 hours in 1972 december a few days before christmas,,,i set it on 95mph only stopped for gas& 2 cups of hot coffee.....back in the day

Comment

I wish I had known about that show. I may have went. Last year I went to the motorcycle swap meet at the Deltaplex. A big disappointment. $9 to get in and just a bunch of vendors selling the same crap you can get at any other show. A few junk bikes for sale at ridiculous prices. The up side was the Hooters girls were there, and there were some nice custom rides.Overall I would say don't waste your time or money.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the only show worth going to is the CW International Show in Novi. I didn't go this year, but last year and the year before I did.

I can honestly say that if this show is in your area, you need to go! It's that good.

As far as any of the swap meets, they are mainly a waste of time. I've gone to the ones in Kalamazoo, GR DeltaPlex, and Lansing. And they are all pretty much full of HD crap. Yes, you do see the occasional Suzuki or something else, but not to the level that you should.

I did go to the same show this year at the DeVos Place (in GR). I even bough some beef jerky from the "Dublin Store" display (http://www.dublinstore.com/). Of which, I highly rate their goods, but the trick is finding a flavor that you like. I personally recommend "Original" Beef and "BBQ" Beef.

And the dancers ... yes, there was some serious talent ... but I didn't know (or care) that they could sing. 8-[

I got a huge kick over an S&S display. They had some worked over Harley special that made 200 HP!!, and it cost something like 10k. I asked the guy why it was so much, and then I pointed out that a stock GSXR-1300 did that, and for 10k I could just about own an entire bike.

I'm sure that he would have thrown me out at that point if he could have! Instead I got that steely eyed glare, which I just laughed at and walked away.

So even though the show sucked for GS riders, I still had fun!, I just won't be back. You never know, I could stumble across that S&S salesman in the parking lot... \\/

Comment

wow i'm seeing there are alot of us in michigan! AWESOME!

Comment

yes, sweet. now, any of you west michiganders have a carb synch tool/experience? i have beverages!!!
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Yes - alot of us in Michigan.
                What we lack in brains concerning where we live,
                we make up for in what we ride.
                85 1150E

Comment

well said! i ride a shafty, so i tend to believe that you are correct, steve

Comment

I have only ridden 2 shaft bikes (both BMW - both not mine).
                    What I noticed right away, and liked, was the smooth feel.
                    No - chug chug (cant descibe better) of the chain. In sound and the "lunging" feeling.
                    There are clear cut for and against here. I think alot of it tongue in cheek.
                    And maybe a little in the looks - but can a "cafe" be a cafe if it has a shaft?? My answer - sure, why not.
                    Seems to me a shaft would be a lot less maintenance.
                    85 1150E

Comment

Hey, Now, no shaft vs chain arguments here please. Or maybe might need a private invite only forum for chains and one for shafts. Ah, okay, lets not discuss that either.

Hey, Zig, You know, it was the two beef jerky booths that got a good amount of my attention at the show. I got some for me and some for my son.
                      Hey, speaking of my son, he has a SV650 and now lives in Allendale as you do.
                      Here are a couple stories about him, you may recognize the location of some of the local places in the pictures.
                      Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Greg,
                      Nope, dont have a carb balance manometer thing.

Last edited by Redman; 03-29-2008, 08:33 PM. Reason: add links

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                        yes, sweet. now, any of you west michiganders have a carb synch tool/experience? i have beverages!!!
                        Greg,
                        I don't have a carb sync tool either, but all is not lost. I've actually had a fair amount of good luck "manually" syncing carbs.

Basically all you are doing when you sync the carbs is just making sure that they are all doing the same amount of work. The "normal" way is to use a vacuum gauge plugged into each port (it's between the carb and the head), then adjust your rpm to the correct level (check your manual for the correct rpm). Then sync the carbs individually to the "base" carb by matching the vacuum level of the base carb. FYI: the "base" carb is the one that has the main idle adjustment, all the other carbs are then adjusted to match that one. If your good and you don't have a Sync tool, you could do this with one vacuum gauge purchased for the local AutoZone.

But there is another way.

Just remove the carbs and by using the opposite end of a clean drill bit (the non-fluted end), find one that just fits under the throttle plate of the "main" carb (the one with the main idle adjuster) it's ok to re-adjust the idle screw some if you need to. Then use the same drill bit and "sync" each carb throttle plate to match that.

Some mechanics believe that this is actually better than using a sync tool because it prevents a really weak (or strong) cylinder from messing with the rest. Either way, this method has never failed me.

Redman,
                        As far as all of the GSR members in west Michigan, I think that we need to plan a group ride!! I personally haven't taken M-22 yet, but I do know a few "good" roads close to Allendale. And event wise, there's the annual BMW spring free ride (HEY - it's free gas, brand new bikes, and a free lunch when your done!... can you tell I'm Dutch??)\\/. And then there's the spring vintage show at the Gilmore Museum, we could always take over one corner. And finally, there's the AHRMA Vintage road race at Grattan Raceway in the summer, we could meet there.

I'm game for any or all, how about you guys?? And if you need to trailer it, I know where you can park a couple of 5th wheel trailers (... my fenced in back yard!).
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

i am in fo-sho. assuming, of course, that i have a working motorcycle. yes, i have them manually synched pretty well, when i fire it up maybe i will decide that is good enough. or, rather, if i fire it up. to the shop!!
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                            I don't have a synch tool or experience doing it, but would like to learn. If you get something lined up, I'd be game in learning. You're not that far away from K'zoo. We camp w/ our horses at Yankee Springs. That's about an hour from here pulling a gooseneck trailer, so maybe 45 min by bike?

I'm in on a group ride if we can put something together. I've been in MI going on 2 years. Moved here from west central IN. Why did i move here?? Ya'll have WAY too much snow here!

Comment

i may be able to get my hands on a sync tool. i think a buddy has one. i'll have mine running in a month or so when i can afford the last few things i need and need to sync it down nice so.. i'll keep you guys posted if i can get one!

Comment

Working...
                              X