Weird ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird ride

I went for a short blip this morning, about a 60 mile loop. Light traffic which was nice. To start the ride a deer decides to cross I-5 and bring the cars in front to a near halt. An early rain this morning left some shaded areas damp, but everywhere else drying quickly.

I continue on, I see another deer alerted to my Kerker, but unconcerned in the left shoulder. Then another on the right shoulder hidden or me being blind until I passed it, also unconcerned.

I just changed the oil/filter last night, Mobil 1 15-50 car oil and rattle canned the steel Kerker header which I have to take off each time when I change the oil. The bike seems to like the oil which I don't buy usually.

Anyway, the bike is feeling happy shifting nicely and somehow quieter than normal. I'm heading down a familiar rural straightaway going slower than I typically do, maybe 65 or so and I say to myself I don't remember a railroad crossing here? What the --ck! A 60 foot rotten alder falls like a gate at railroad crossing. The trunk must have been 20i inches in diameter. The tree falls from about 20 feet behind a ditch on the right side of the road and up an embankment. I realize what's happening now, I brake hard front and rear, no cars are coming in the opposite direction, so I veer over to the far left fog line. The tree just impacted the road, and was on its first reverberation as I ran over the top of it, about 5 inches in diameter. I got up on the pegs MX style and pulled on the bars. Luckilly the tree was saturated and rotten and I basically road through a pile of mush after my front tire passed through.

The adrenaline was pumping and my legs were shaking and I wondered what sign this was for me in my life. I shrugged it off and rode on thinking Wow that was wild.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Sheesh. Northwest riding.

I suffered through 150mi of rain last Thursday to Long Beach and back.

Hello? Summer? Motorcyclists need you like yesterday...

Comment

Well done!I bet that cleared the knots out of your tubes.Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

A little rain is good for everyone. I rode to Laguna Seca from Bellingham Washington in 1992, 2800 miles roundtrip. 2500 miles in the rain with no fairing.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
          Sheesh. Northwest riding.

I suffered through 150mi of rain last Thursday to Long Beach and back.

Hello? Summer? Motorcyclists need you like yesterday...
          And you didn't stop by. The shame!!!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            And you didn't stop by. The shame!!!
            Long Beach, WA. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              Long Beach, WA. :-D
              Heck, I'm still just a hop, jump and a skip away. \\/
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                What the --ck! A 60 foot rotten alder falls like a gate at railroad crossing. The trunk must have been 20i inches in diameter. The tree falls from about 20 feet behind a ditch on the right side of the road and up an embankment. I realize what's happening now, I brake hard front and rear, no cars are coming in the opposite direction, so I veer over to the far left fog line. The tree just impacted the road, and was on its first reverberation as I ran over the top of it, about 5 inches in diameter. I got up on the pegs MX style and pulled on the bars. Luckilly the tree was saturated and rotten and I basically road through a pile of mush after my front tire passed through.

The adrenaline was pumping and my legs were shaking and I wondered what sign this was for me in my life. I shrugged it off and rode on thinking Wow that was wild.

Sounds like an exciting moment. Fortunately, you were smarter than the tree and able to out manuever its wanton act of aggression. heh I'm pretty sure you're the only person I know that has jumped a 60 foot alder with a motorcycle. eh eh

Earl
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
                  Good save.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat44 View Post
                    Good save.
                    thats a good 1 should be in riding tips

Comment

Originally posted by Rat44 View Post
                      That is exactly what my wife feels.

Since she has chosen to get back into riding her own bike after many, many years on the back seat, she chose this for her newly-painted bike:

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

unfortunately my angel has emphyzima and still smokes so I am stuck at 5 MPH

Comment

My wife gave me a pin with that saying on it a long time ago. Had it on the visor in my semi for a long time. Kinda related to not driving faster than you can see. You all know what I mean. Having a brain fart at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                          X