first ride....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first ride....

with my #2 son today. He just completed the 3 day MSF course last weekend and got his MC license this week. We left this morning for a leisurely 3 hour, 65 mile ride through the NH countryside with him on my 1100ES and me on my 1100G. Beautiful day, few other cars on the road, and plenty of diverse ( I hate that word now and shouldn't use it anymore!) scenery and road conditions. We got off the beaten path a few times (literally...on dirt roads for about 3 stretches) and stopped for lunch. He did very well and we swapped bikes about halfway through the day and I also let him ride lead for the last leg. You may be thinking that these are big, powerful bikes to let him cut his teeth on but he has experience with my old YZ125 dirtbike and a friend's R6, neither of which are for the timid.
    I have done this with my #1 son and hope to do the same with my #3 son in a few years. Then hopefully all 4 of us will get some riding in together before life passes by.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM.

Tre cool. Thats how it should be. Never got to ride with my dad. Hope to correct that with my boys. Hope you have many happy rides to come.

Comment

I'll bet they remember it for a loooong time.
      Mark Fisher
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
        You may be thinking that these are big, powerful bikes to let him cut his teeth on but he has experience with my old YZ125 dirtbike and a friend's R6, neither of which are for the timid.
        i don't think it's a problem at all. if he passed the MSF course and has a little common sense a big bore is no problem at all. it's not that 1100's are "too fast" it's that too many people try to ride them beyond the limits of their skill. like that guy that was selling that BEAUTIFUL blue e one of the members here sold on craigs list a few months back said " bike is just too fast " in the ad.. i may be alone, but my first thought was " well, moron, don't twist the throttle too hard "

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
          i don't think it's a problem at all. if he passed the MSF course and has a little common sense a big bore is no problem at all. it's not that 1100's are "too fast" it's that too many people try to ride them beyond the limits of their skill. like that guy that was selling that BEAUTIFUL blue e one of the members here sold on craigs list a few months back said " bike is just too fast " in the ad.. i may be alone, but my first thought was " well, moron, don't twist the throttle too hard "
          I think that's it's also a matter of weight, height, and quickness off the line (usually all qualities of the 1000cc plus bikes) that can get most people in over their heads just starting out. The MSF course uses 250-500cc, lighter, lower, slower bikes for the most part. I started with a Honda 305cc back 200 hundred years ago before safety courses.
          Even after riding 35 years, when I get on a new bike for me, I will try to test in an open area the brakes, clutch travel, handling and throttle response first before blasting off! I had my son take each of my bikes around the block before we set out, to be sure he had some comfort level even after taking the MSF course.

Comment

ah, i thought that he took the MSF course on a bigger bore bike :P

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
              ah, i thought that he took the MSF course on a bigger bore bike :P
              Not sure about your state, but for $110 the State of NH provides the bikes along with the 3 day course and upon successful completion(road and written tests), issue a certificate to walk into DMV for a new MC endorsed license.
              You might be able to use your own bike, but it's easier just using theirs.

Comment

Sounds like a good time. I enjoy riding with my son.
                As I call it Father & Son bonding.

Comment

roadrash, you have an upclose pic of that 1100 GL?

Comment

My father passed away couple of years ago. Along with my mom and 3 brothers, we did a bunch of stuff together. Camping, fishing, cars restos, MX wrenchin'. I never got to ride with him, but have no regrets, as I have many other fond memories.
                    Now, I ride with my father in-law. He rides a Burgman 650. Cool little scoot, all the power you want. I really enjoy it, as we finally found a point we have in common.
                    McLoud
                    '79 GS850
                    `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                    sigpic
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                      Not sure about your state, but for $110 the State of NH provides the bikes along with the 3 day course and upon successful completion(road and written tests), issue a certificate to walk into DMV for a new MC endorsed license.
                      You might be able to use your own bike, but it's easier just using theirs.
                      it;'s 150 here and 50 extra for a rental bike.

Comment

Originally posted by aruyle79 View Post
                        roadrash, you have an upclose pic of that 1100 GL?

I wish it was a better picture..

Comment

I did a 3 day MSF course a year ago at Indiana State for $55, and that was all inclusive. Only things I had to provide myself were my clothes, gloves, jacket, boots, goggles. They provided the bikes, little 250s, I think they were Yamahas, and helmets.

It's been a year and I've been lazy about getting my 81GS550LX on the road, so I'm wondering if I've waited too long to take the paperwork to the DMV and get my motorcycle endorsement.

Comment

Originally posted by CathyInBlue View Post
                            I did a 3 day MSF course a year ago at Indiana State for $55, and that was all inclusive. Only things I had to provide myself were my clothes, gloves, jacket, boots, goggles. They provided the bikes, little 250s, I think they were Yamahas, and helmets.

It's been a year and I've been lazy about getting my 81GS550LX on the road, so I'm wondering if I've waited too long to take the paperwork to the DMV and get my motorcycle endorsement.
                            Don't know if there is an expiration date on your certificate, but I would just take it in and get the endorsement and explain your situation if they give you any problems. At $55 that's pretty cheap anyway.

Comment

right now, mine is down to the frame in a shop
                              i am thinking it won't be road ready until next year
                              specially with the problem of finding a set of carbs

Comment

Working...
                              X