Almost caught a car door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost caught a car door

last night. Riding home around 10 p.m. after a couple hours of Taekwondo training. Riding the streets cuz I really don't want to drive the highways around Cincy after dark, too many truckers and goofballs. So I'm in the right most lane of a 4 lane major street, going about 35, when this guy walks out to his car looking right at me and the rest of the traffic and opens his drivers door wide. I had a second or so to slow and gently weave around the gut, since I couldn't get into the other lane. It was booked solid. In retrospect, figuring as how I survibed getting hit head on at 35 in a Mercedes with no air bag and no seat belt on, and not having to go to the hospital, I figured I probably could have taken the door off its hinges, but damn that would have hurt!! As an aside, I could swear that every time I was at a stop sign or stop light and took off, the guy next to me invariably wanted to race! And last night was not a night where I was shifting at 7500 rpm. I don't usually take off with a heavy throttle or wind it up. This happens to everyone I guess, cuz if I pulled up next to me at a light, I'd look at my magnificent girth and wonder how the hell the bike would go in the first place!!!!!

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
    ... So I'm in the right most lane of a 4 lane major street, going about 35, when this guy walks out to his car looking right at me and the rest of the traffic and opens his drivers door wide.

.... I'd look at my magnificent girth and wonder how the hell the bike would go in the first place!!!!!
    Evidently the guy who opened his door on you was not a physics major and failed to understand that neither he nor his door were going to stop the forward momentum of a big boy like you and your 500lb bike in a collision!

Comment

see now, my first thought was, why was someone throwing a car door?

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
        Toy R Us was out of Frisbee's...?

Comment

Ed Norton pi$$ed off cause he let his agent talk him into playing in that god awful Hulk movie, and he DID turn into the Hulk?

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
            Rental car.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Rental car.
              You know, it is crazy, but people actually buy used cars from the rental places. What would go through ones mind to want to buy something that has been floored at every intersection and hit every pothole on every trip?

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins View Post
                You know, it is crazy, but people actually buy used cars from the rental places. What would go through ones mind to want to buy something that has been floored at every intersection and hit every pothole on every trip?

Wellll, a lot of our bikes were treated in the same manner in a previous life but We Love em anyway.
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Good comedy comebacks guys. Why WOULD someone throw a car door? Answer: because they can.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                    last night. Riding home around 10 p.m. after a couple hours of Taekwondo training. Riding the streets cuz I really don't want to drive the highways around Cincy after dark, too many truckers and goofballs. So I'm in the right most lane of a 4 lane major street, going about 35, when this guy walks out to his car looking right at me and the rest of the traffic and opens his drivers door wide. I had a second or so to slow and gently weave around the gut, since I couldn't get into the other lane. It was booked solid. In retrospect, figuring as how I survibed getting hit head on at 35 in a Mercedes with no air bag and no seat belt on, and not having to go to the hospital, I figured I probably could have taken the door off its hinges, but damn that would have hurt!! As an aside, I could swear that every time I was at a stop sign or stop light and took off, the guy next to me invariably wanted to race! And last night was not a night where I was shifting at 7500 rpm. I don't usually take off with a heavy throttle or wind it up. This happens to everyone I guess, cuz if I pulled up next to me at a light, I'd look at my magnificent girth and wonder how the hell the bike would go in the first place!!!!!
                    You were on your home from TKD training. Sounds to me like a well-placed mid front snap kick on the way by would have been just about right. Better yet, a high side kick to the guy followed by a mid front snap kick to the door. Yeh . . . sweet!!!

Comment

Well Y'know Pauly, maybe its because you're not big enough for anyone to see coming. You might want to have a couple of extra bowls of Wheaties every morning to do something about that or at least get a reflective neon pink riding suit.

Earl
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by tomm View Post
                        You were on your home from TKD training. Sounds to me like a well-placed mid front snap kick on the way by would have been just about right. Better yet, a high side kick to the guy followed by a mid front snap kick to the door. Yeh . . . sweet!!!
                        :in his best mortal kombat voice: EXCELLENT! ... FATALITY!

I started taking tae kwon do with a guy around here john fayett, apperantly he's some sort of national competitor, or was at any rate. I couldn't get past the yelling, though. i'm a quiet guy, and he kept telling me to yell really loud when i'm pretending to kick my partner. It felt silly and was COMPLETLY out of character for me, so i ended up just not going anymore
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

[quote=seuad
                          [COLOR=black]I started taking tae kwon do with a guy around here john fayett, apperantly he's some sort of national competitor, or was at any rate. I couldn't get past the yelling, though. i'm a quiet guy, and he kept telling me to yell really loud when i'm pretending to kick my partner. It felt silly and was COMPLETLY out of character for me, so i ended up just not going anymore[/COLOR][/quote

Earl
                          Maybe if you had tried giggling fiendishly instead, things would have worked out better.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                            Maybe if you had tried giggling fiendishly instead, things would have worked out better.
                            heh. might have i just feel like a complete idiot yelling at the top of my lungs for any reason, hell i don't even yell when i'm mad enough to throw things!

Comment

Hey Seuadr, I tell my beginning students both the real and the "fake" reasons for the yelling. Then, when we graduate to sparring, which is heavy duty full contact for us, I show them my particular reason for doing it. As big and relatively slow as I am, a disarming amount of noise is distraction enough to blow most peoples game plan.
                              As to the real aspect, it's the same reason you hear boxers hiss- you are actually tightening up your bodys core so you can both deliver more power (physiologically proven) and be ready for a counterattacks impact.
                              But-it does sound silly to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                              X