Time for the big ride around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for the big ride around

Well, its time to do the big ride around Australia.

A good mate and I are heading off this Sunday (14Sep08) and since were both on 80's GSers, I thought I'ld post a link to the Pic' here.

The plan is to go clockwise from Sydney and arrive back some 8 to 10 weeks and ~18,000km later. Below is a link to a google map with a loose plan.

As we go, we plan to take plenty of pics and will upload them occasionally to google picasa, link below.

Only a few pics of the bikes there now but hope to add plenty more soon.

TTFN
    Geoff

Wow !! Quite an ambitious adventure. Very cool looking Bikes. That two tone E is unique. Have only seen one other (isleoman). Good luck ! It must be nice to be retired and rich....
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks Dave, Not retired or rich...just excited!

Comment

When do you plan on being in the Cairns area? I'll be leaving for Phillip Island on 25 Sept and home towards the end of October and could be talked into a drink or three,if you're keen.Cheers,Simon.
        Last edited by simon kuether; 09-09-2008, 06:41 AM.
        http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I take it this is the modern equivalent of the famous Aussie "walk about".

Ambitious but looks like a hoot.

Enjoy the trip but be safe.

Cheers,
          Spyug.

Comment

ya. take a satalite phone or something :P beautiful bikes though. sounds like a hoot.

Comment

Dusty,

Welcome to GSR.

Yes, Do post more of the story and more pictures.

8 to 10 weeks, WOW!
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                When do you plan on being in the Cairns area? I'll be leaving for Phillip Island on 25 Sept and home towards the end of October and could be talked into a drink or three,if you're keen.Cheers,Simon.
                Hi Simon, the 25 is about when we would get to Cairns I think.. and will spend a little time around there abouts. If we get there before 25th I'll send you a message. Im always up for a beer or three with good company.

Spyug, I guess it is a bit like a "walk about". Those aboriginals do have some good ideas

Seudar, I picked up an EPIRB just in case, the old frequency ends in Feb09 so there cheep at the moment.

Thanks all.

Comment

Wow....looks like a blast. Hope you guys have a very fun, but safe trip. I'll be looking forward to your progress. Please post a report when you get back.

Godspeed.

p.s. SWEET bikes. Of course, I might be a bit bias.

Comment

Wow, now THAT is definitely a RIDE. YeeHah! Looks to be a lot of stretches of miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles since Australia is basically uninhabited. LOL I wish I could tag along with you all.

Earl
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                      Well, its time to do the big ride around Australia.

A good mate and I are heading off this Sunday (14Sep08) and since were both on 80's GSers, I thought I'ld post a link to the Pic' here.

The plan is to go clockwise from Sydney and arrive back some 8 to 10 weeks and ~18,000km later. Below is a link to a google map with a loose plan.

As we go, we plan to take plenty of pics and will upload them occasionally to google picasa, link below.

Only a few pics of the bikes there now but hope to add plenty more soon.

TTFN
                      Geoff
                      Well, I take it you made it right 'round.Judging by the pics,you had a sh#thouse time.When you were at Windy Hill,you were about 5 minutes from my place.Is that Brett Catana in one of your shots??? Top bloke. Cheers,Simon.
                      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Hi Simon,

Ugh.. sorry we missed you. I remember windy hill, and it was just that!

Yes we did catch up with Brett in Cairns for a quick health check before heading out west.

We've been back 1 week now, I will write up the ride and post it when I get a chance but you can see we took plenty of pics...

Yes we did have a sh#$house time, so much so when we got to the NSW border we thought about turning around and going back! --Although Im not sure if either the bikes or us would have made it.

In summary, it took 8 weeks and a bit over 17000km's. The bikes ran well except for the usual tyres/chain/bad fuel/bad charging system connection type issues. By the end Jon's bike was drinking 1lt oil for every 500km and my cam chain was starting to rattle. A little TLC needed for both bikes now.

The only incident (which was a big one) was a collision with a cow in the kimbely. This kept us in Turkey Creek for 5 days while bike and body were repaired and a part brought in (for the bike).

Still, we saw lots and meet lots of people and wouldn't have missed any part of the trip (I think I can say that now).

Cheers
                        Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                          .......... you can see we took plenty of pics...
                          Geoff pictures : 328

Jono pictures : 326

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                          X