Are these engines good or what ?? !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these engines good or what ?? !!

As my basket case GS550E was suffering from really low compression, I decided to change the engine complete, as this was the most cost effective solution..
    Although the engine had very low compression (60psi on 3 pots, 100 on one) it still ran very well, but was a pig to start from cold..

Anyway, I picked up a second hand engine, and fitted it in the bike..
    it started pretty easy, and sounded smooth enough so I thought I had a winner..
    When I went for a ride, it was missing badly over 40mph, so I had a look at the plugs, which were white in colour, saying it was running weak, or overheating.. and it did seem a fair bit hot..

I checked the ignition timing which was fine, checked for airleaks which there were none.. and at this point was getting a bit stumped.. as the old engine ran fine..

Another problem, was the tachometer wasn't working, so I pulled out the drive unit, and found no gear on the shaft at all.. thinking it may have fallen inside I lifted the valve cover for a look.. no gear was there, so at least it was safe to use, but stranger than that, there was no drive on the camshaft either..

I decided to check the valve timing, so I took the cover off completely, and then lined up the crankshaft marks...... took a look at the cams, and found no timing marks there.. I even turned the engine round, and found nothing..
    Thinking someone had put the drive pulleys on wrong, I looked at the other side.. There were the timing marks !!!! and what was even weirder, so was the drive for the tachometer !!!
    Someone had fitted the camshafts in backwards... And the engine still ran !! also there was no front camchain guide..

I turned the cams round, fitted the old camchain guide, timed up the valves, and now the engine is as sweet as a nut.. the plugs are a nice tan colour, and all is fine.

God knows what you have to do to one of these engines to kill it... leaving it in the hands of a complete idiot doesn't seem to be enough...

John

Hahaha, it's f'n epic!!

Comment

Before you fixed it......did you have reverse ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

What will they think of next!

Oh those crazy POs, what have they got for brains?
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein View Post
          As my basket case GS550E was suffering from really low compression, I decided to change the engine complete, as this was the most cost effective solution..
          Although the engine had very low compression (60psi on 3 pots, 100 on one) it still ran very well, but was a pig to start from cold..

Anyway, I picked up a second hand engine, and fitted it in the bike..
          it started pretty easy, and sounded smooth enough so I thought I had a winner..
          When I went for a ride, it was missing badly over 40mph, so I had a look at the plugs, which were white in colour, saying it was running weak, or overheating.. and it did seem a fair bit hot..

I checked the ignition timing which was fine, checked for airleaks which there were none.. and at this point was getting a bit stumped.. as the old engine ran fine..

Another problem, was the tachometer wasn't working, so I pulled out the drive unit, and found no gear on the shaft at all.. thinking it may have fallen inside I lifted the valve cover for a look.. no gear was there, so at least it was safe to use, but stranger than that, there was no drive on the camshaft either..

I decided to check the valve timing, so I took the cover off completely, and then lined up the crankshaft marks...... took a look at the cams, and found no timing marks there.. I even turned the engine round, and found nothing..
          Thinking someone had put the drive pulleys on wrong, I looked at the other side.. There were the timing marks !!!! and what was even weirder, so was the drive for the tachometer !!!
          Someone had fitted the camshafts in backwards... And the engine still ran !! also there was no front camchain guide..

I turned the cams round, fitted the old camchain guide, timed up the valves, and now the engine is as sweet as a nut.. the plugs are a nice tan colour, and all is fine.

God knows what you have to do to one of these engines to kill it... leaving it in the hands of a complete idiot doesn't seem to be enough...

John

THAT is absolutely insane! Talk about inept PO's. WOW!!! Some people should be buried in wet sand up to their neck and fed nothing but green turnips until they get smarter. LOL

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            THAT is absolutely insane! Talk about inept PO's. WOW!!! Some people should be buried in wet sand up to their neck and fed nothing but green turnips until they get smarter. LOL

Earl
            turnips make you smarter? DAMN that's what i've been doing wrong

Comment

Wow - that's amzing

I'm surprised the PO got the valve timing close enough to run
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Maybe the turnips were in the fuel tank? Couldn't have been in the sump because the P.O. would have filled that with windshield fluid! Your right, what an engine, their bulletpr...., I mean idiotproof.
                Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
                Shin-Ken 1074
                1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

And she still runs sweet !

apart from oil leaking from the tacho drive, which is broken, and the cam cover gaskets..

Luckily I have managed to source the parts, so should be fixed up real soon.

John

Comment

About time I gave you guys an update with the old girl..

fitted the tacho drive unit, and a new rocker gasket... cured the oil leaks, no more drips on the floor !!

I have been riding her regularly up until a few weeks ago, where I decided the weather has turned cold and dark enough to start the rebuild over the winter months..

so far, the fuel tank, side panels and tailpiece have gone to be painted, and have the new decals (replica of originals) applied and laquered over..

The rest has been stripped down, and the frame will be going for powder coating..

Some other parts will be getting rechromed, and some zinc or nickle plated depending on type of finish required.

Swing arm bearings are dust, and will be replaced, along with stainless end caps.

I am going to strip the top end of the engine down, and probably fit new rings, and a camchain as a minimum...
                    Also, as it has been painted black, it will be shot blasted or whatever, and brought back to looking new.

So it's plenty of polishing, painting and TLC for the next few months.. a lot of new parts, and hopefully back on the road in the spring next year.

One big change would be to ditch the terrible 4-1 exhaust, for some standard pipes, should I be lucky enough to find any... 18 months and counting

John

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                      turnips make you smarter? DAMN that's what i've been doing wrong
                      that was green turnips be very careful with non-green turnips..

Comment

Still haven't found that elusive exhaust yet John?

Tried these?

Largest network of motorcycle breakers in the UK. Free service to find motorbike parts. Breakers contact you directly with a no-obligation quote. Simple!

I may be getting a GS550 myself soon. £200 with MOT, whoopee!!

Comment

Not yet Ian... still on the hunt.

You with a GS550 ??.... I have plenty spare parts so far...

John

Comment

I've just spotted one on ebay with a 75% complete one for spares £120!

Pity it's over 200 miles away .

Comment

Originally posted by Ian W View Post
                              I've just spotted one on ebay with a 75% complete one for spares £120!

Pity it's over 200 miles away .
                              Dont be such a pratt boyo! 200 miles is nothing! I and steve drove 900-ish miles each way last year to fetch my 1100ES. Sometimes you just have to say f#%€ it and go for it! These babies are worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X