GS650G front end rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G front end rebuild

I know it looks really bad, but I think new forks might just make this whole again. The frame could very well be tweaked..it is not obviously noticeable, though. The wheels still rotate true. Any body have any leads for a replacement set of forks?

Here's my police report statement:

July 2, 2009, 6 pm

Statement of John Fellman, WA regarding a motorcycle accident:

I received a call from Ray's wife at about 5pm regarding the purchase of my '82 Suzuki GS650 that I had advertised on Craigslist. She said that she wanted to buy it as a birthday gift for her husband. They both arrived at our residence to look the bike over and he seemed interested in buying it. I demonstrated the bike by riding a couple loops around the cul de sac and they both were witness to the fact that it functioned flawlessly. His wife remained in the passenger seat of their vehicle the entire time. He spoke privately with his wife and then mentioned that his wife wanted him to ride it in a circle around the cul de sac. I allowed that because he said he had owned a similar motorcycle (Yamaha 400 ) previously. He started off OK but seemed confused about which way to turn the throttle. Before I could stop him he accelerated straight ahead at full throttle for about 50 feet and ran into the neighbor's garage and air conditioner. He went over the bars and struck the top front left side of his head when he landed. He did not lose consciousness and was up right away but had a nasty gash on his head. My wife and I got him some wet wash cloths and towels and advised him to have his wife take him to the ER. His wife was already on the phone to call an ambulance but he instructed her to drive him to the hospital herself.

The neighbor's air conditioner was knocked off the foundation. The motorcycle has extensive front end damage. I understand that Officer Gaines took photos of the scene. He also gave me the retaining pin of the clutch lever cable end which he found past where the bike came to rest, indicating that it was intact prior to the impact. I have retained it as instructed by Officer Gaines.

I previously turned down a prospective buyer of this motorcycle after I saw how inexperienced he was as a motorcyclist when he test drove it in a parking lot across the street from his home in Richland on Stevens Dr. He was very upset with me when I told him over the phone that I would not sell it to him.
    --------------------------------------------
    Update today:

Ray called and has made arrangements to buy the bike on Monday after work. Since he is doing the right thing, I think I should offer my help getting this bike back in an operable state. Maybe even work on it with him in my garage and introduce him to this site. Crap like this happens occasionally and I respect anyone who owns up to their mistakes in judgment. I assume a certain amount of blame for what happened because I sensed at the time that he was not at all proficient at operating a motorcycle. Things went bad awfully quick!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2009, 01:44 PM.

Great to see that he is stepping up to buy it.

However, since all motorcycle throttles operate the same way, I suggest he do a MSF course prior to hitting the street!!
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Any experience here with later year forks compatibility? These are from an 85 GS700E.

On closer inspection...front wheel is toast...very noticeable run out...don't know how I didn't see it earlier.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

That's great that he is owning up to it and would be an interesting story years later to tell if you guys turn out to be riding buddies one day...

Comment

Originally posted by lilbilly View Post
          That's great that he is owning up to it and would be an interesting story years later to tell if you guys turn out to be riding buddies one day...
          I am not sure he would be much fun to ride with...he's a cop! Then, again ...

Comment

I have fork tubes and springs from a 650.

Are the lowers damaged or just the forks?

These are leftover parts from a twin rotor
            conversion I did on my 750T. I used the
            750T fork uppers and the 650 fork lowers.
            Last edited by DimitriT; 07-06-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
              I have fork tubes and springs from a 650.

Are the lowers damaged or just the forks?

These are leftover parts from a twin rotor
              conversion I did on my 750T. I used the
              750T fork uppers and the 650 fork lowers.
              Unfortunately the lower right is broken in half

Comment

Originally posted by GSJohn View Post
                Unfortunately the lower right is broken in half
                Well, if you wouldn't mind swapping out to a 750T front end
                you can have the whole kit including the uppers, lowers,
                and the brake parts. Everything except the wheel and fender.
                You'd have the single rotor brake with the 750 caliper but it would
                work.

Comment

Thanks DT, but I think I want to keep the dual discs. There is a set on eBay now and a wheel. Looks like I can get the forks and the wheel on my doorstep for about 2 bills.

Comment

I have a great looking set of fork legs and sliders that were rebuilt not o long ago. I was gonna used them for a dual brake upgrade on my 650. If you can find an inexpensive set of trees, Id be happy to sell the forks. No pitting or rust at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                      I have a great looking set of fork legs and sliders that were rebuilt not o long ago. I was gonna used them for a dual brake upgrade on my 650. If you can find an inexpensive set of trees, Id be happy to sell the forks. No pitting or rust at all.
                      Thanks! I sent you a PM

Comment

Confused...

ok, I'm confused. Did the guy actually buy this bike from you afterwards? I hope he's paying for all the parts. Is he depending on you to fix it back up for him? I know you said you were thinking about offering to help him fix it up in your garage. Just curious. This is a most unfortunate Accident. Glad the guy was ok, and if he did indeed buy it from you, I'm glad he paid up!

I hope it all works out well for you both! Good luck!

-Gumbo

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo76 View Post
                          ok, I'm confused. Did the guy actually buy this bike from you afterwards? I hope he's paying for all the parts. Is he depending on you to fix it back up for him? I know you said you were thinking about offering to help him fix it up in your garage. Just curious. This is a most unfortunate Accident. Glad the guy was ok, and if he did indeed buy it from you, I'm glad he paid up!

I hope it all works out well for you both! Good luck!

-Gumbo
                          He has committed to buying it. He is going to buy the parts and we will get it fixed up in my garage...it is too hard to move in the present shape.

Comment

Working...
                          X