I got my "M" today !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my "M" today !

Since I started riding again this spring, all I had was my permit...no riding after dark, no riders and you have to wear a helmet. No helmet law in Indiana...

So, this morning I got up and went to take my riders test. It also happened to be the coldest night we've has so far this year. I didn't look to see how cold it was when I left at about 8:45 this morning. I'm guessing around 35 degrees F. I bundled up and stayed surprisingly warm on my 30 mile ride to the testing site. Oddly enough, I was the only person that showed up.

I did the drills perfectly except for the swerving drill. I got off line and missed the last two cones..... He passed me anyway and I went straight to the BMV and got my license changed. I think alot of the test is the instructor observing you as you have to reposition your bike from drill to drill, which I did well.
    Here's the exercises I had to perform.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Congratulations on the license. The DMV is open on saturdays?

Comment

Same test we have here in Utah, but surprisingly, your state shows the distances, whereas mine does not.

First time I took the road test I failed miserably; the swerve portion is what got me. In retrospect, I approached too slow and tried to steer around the cones rather than lean/swerve. I felt so stupid I didn't take the road test for another year.

Congrats to you! Now go and really enjoy that bike!

Comment

Yes, the BMV is open until noon on Saturdays...I realyy thought I'd blown it when I screwed up the swerving portion, but, he passed me anyway. I think he was more impressed that showed up on such a cold morning. And I did everything else flawlessly.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Bravo well done give yourself a pat on the back.

Comment

Congrats!

Different test than PA.

We had the "Consecutive U-Turns" (aka figure eight),
            a measured stop (like your third item)
            an accelerate through a turn and then stop
            and i think there was an avoid the obstacle stop like yours.

anyhoo. Congrats!
            "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Nice job ! Go practice in an empty parking lot. I go to the Church and do circles in side 2 parking spaces and fig 8s inside 4 spaces. You can practice swerving through the marked parking spaces too.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I'm always amazed at tests like this. In Maine, you show up at a normal class C testing facility, you get on your motorcycle after the tester insures that everything works on the bike, and he follows you down the road in his car. I drove around town. Two beeps meant right turn, one beep was left, three beeps meant to pull over and back up at a 45 degree angle to the curb. one really LOOOONG beep meant to just stop where I was because I was about to die lol. It shows how you actually handle the bike out on the road. I did well, I didn't screw up despite how it was raining. Did a nice 45 degree angle and then almost got run over at an intersection where a moron in a cage decided to go from a left turn only lane to making a right turn without signaling or anything and was within a couple feet of taking me out. All the instructor said when we got back was about the guy who almost hit me! So nothing is done in parking lots here in Maine, its all road tests.

Comment

It seems like your test was a lot like ours in IL. My friend and I took it on a 150cc scooter which was a breeze. One of the first tests is a slow sharp left turn. My friend was feeling confident, leaned into it, the side stand hit the concrete, and he dropped the bike. FAIL. Other than dropping the bike like that, we can get up to 3 points and still get the "M."

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    you have to wear a helmet. No helmet law in Indiana...
                    PLEASE tell me you aren't one of those that THINK you will NEVER be in a wreck or that your head is HARDER than asphalt?!!! What kind of insurance do you have for your family to take care of you in vegatative state if something DOES happen to you? If I am ever in a REALLY bad one, I hope God takes me so my family can just go on unburdened.
                    I have a saying for people I see that ride without helmets: "No brain, no brain injury!" Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      PLEASE tell me you aren't one of those that THINK you will NEVER be in a wreck or that your head is HARDER than asphalt?!!! What kind of insurance do you have for your family to take care of you in vegatative state if something DOES happen to you? If I am ever in a REALLY bad one, I hope God takes me so my family can just go on unburdened.
                      I have a saying for people I see that ride without helmets: "No brain, no brain injury!" Ray.

I think he was just stating what the regulations are there, not his personal riding style.

Comment

Well done in getting your "M" !

Interesting that there are such different standards in different states! Also that some states still do not have wearing a helmet compulsory! Even here in South Africa, that became compulsory about 40 years ago!

"Think Bike" and Ride Safe
                        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Don't worry Ray....ATGATT !!!
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Don't feel bad Larry, A few years ago I only had about 1000 miles under my belt on my 77 CB750SS and wound up hitting the last cone on the test, no big deal. I got to watch a guy on a Sporty 1200 fail miserably through the cones (twice), which was not confidence inspiring other than I wanted to show him up LOL.

Roadrash, in the mean time while waiting for me, had to lend his metric tool kit to another HD guy out in the parking lot so he could adjust his clutch cable; a bad day for HD riders at the DMV.

Anyways, I am happy to hear that you are official now and my hat is off to you for performing/passing the test on YOUR motorcycle.

Jerry the Motorman shows his 110 lb lady friend slamming a full dresser through the cones, and I'd hate to think that anyone on here would have to surrender to being less than a lady and cheating by using a smaller motorcycle.

I've often believed that if a person can't pass the test on their own bike, then they shouldn't be riding it; a hard reality for some to swallow.

Comment

Congrats!

Never stop learning! Move on to the more fun courses and learn for a lifetime of riding!

Comment

Working...
                              X