No announcement yet.

I got my "M" today !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Larry, big CONGRATS! on your endorsement. Was this before or after you had your "last ride of the year to work on the bike mods"? I can tell by the price of the course you must be an ABATE member. I'm diffinately signing up for that class next year myself, hopefully we can meet up and do some ridding. By the way, yesterday was a great day to ride

Comment

Originally posted by sscott View Post
      Hey Larry, big CONGRATS! on your endorsement. Was this before or after you had your "last ride of the year to work on the bike mods"? I can tell by the price of the course you must be an ABATE member. I'm diffinately signing up for that class next year myself, hopefully we can meet up and do some ridding. By the way, yesterday was a great day to ride
      Thanks. I'm not an ABATE member. If you're just taking the riding test it's only $10. The Basic Rder Course is $50, IIRC.
      I know I'm missing a few nice riding days, but I have to get this leak fixed, it's irritating as he11.

I'm wondering if you know a young man named Nick Hampton. If you do and you see him......smack him in the head for me. I know....he's a big guy but, we're great friends and I haven't seen him in awhile.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        I could've taken the BRC and got my license that way as well. It's a 3 day course and I've found it difficult to find the time (it's been a busy summer) Not to mention it costs $50 for the course. I DO plan to take a course next spring, but, this only cost $20 total, $10 for the test and $10 to get my license changed and it only took 15 minutes.

WHAT? THAT'S CHEEP!!!

In Maine it's about $70 for the 8 hour permit course, or $300 for the 16 hour BRC course! I chose permit, then a month later sent in for my license and a month later took my test. I think it was 5 or 10 for the license test and another 10 for the endorsement and updated license.

Comment

LOL, Yeah, I know Nick and his family, brother and mother. Geeezzzzzz. Tell you what I'll do, next time I see Nick I'll say some dude by the name of Larry wants me to smack you in the head, so don't smack me back. I'm sure that will go over really well in my favor. (no way in He!!) He works tomorrow send me a PM and I'll give you his station phone number.

Comment

It's a small world after all.........

No need for the station number, I have his cell number in my phone. I'll have to give him a call soon. I usually run into him while I'm out having a few wobbly pops at a local tavern. Just haven't seen him in awhile. Heck, I drive right past his house about twice a day.

Nevermind, I thump him next time I see him. Well, maybe not, he's a freakin' mountain !!!!
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Well hells bells, sounds like you are on the NE part of town. He lives about 15 miles from me. Let me know when you go for those wobbly topps and we can share a few and tell lies and stuff.

Matter of fact they name mountains after smaller people. But the thing is hes just so darn strong. (not from working out either)

Comment

Hey Larry,
                Just so happened I saw Nick tonight, I asked him about you then I said, this is from Larry and smacked him. Than ran LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                  WHAT? THAT'S CHEEP!!!

In Maine it's about $70 for the 8 hour permit course, or $300 for the 16 hour BRC course! I chose permit, then a month later sent in for my license and a month later took my test. I think it was 5 or 10 for the license test and another 10 for the endorsement and updated license.
                  In Indiana, the 3 day BRC is subsidized by the state -- an excellent investment in terms of pain and suffering avoided per dollar. So yes, it's very cheap to the end user -- only $75 ($50 for the MSF course + $25 ABATE enrollment). There are simply no excuses for skipping it.

ABATE manages the courses, and in return, every BRC student is automatically enrolled in ABATE for a year. If you don't want to be in ABATE, you can fill out a form and they'll send the $25 ABATE enrollment fee back to you.

All around, it's a shockingly sensible arrangement with huge benefits. I have no idea how some politician hasn't screwed it up yet
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Did my bike test in England about 25 years ago. There it was a multi part test, cones etc for the first one. Second part on the road including emergency stops, hill starts etc.
                    I had to do it again here in Tennessee. Well...... first the silly computer/written part, no real problems there. The riding part, he told me I had to change gear at least once. You rode out of the DMV, along a road, U-turn and then back. I have to say it was difficult to fail, this shows up in the riding/driving skills in TN. The car test was no more difficult either.
                    I would recommend all new riders to do a proper course. I wasn't a new rider so.... I paid my $10 and was happy to get the "M" on my license.

Comment

Wow, sounds alot easier than NJ, well sort of.....

In NJ, according to what i've read on the NJ website, you're not even allowed to RIDE with a learners permit, unless there is someone there WITH you, that has a valid motorcycle license!

So i guess you're supposed to just bug the hell out of your buddy to come tag along with you, every time you want to practice....
                      What if you dont even KNOW anybody with a M license? Now what!?

This doesn't sound right?

Any riders from NJ that got their licenses here?

Comment

MSF in Ohio

MSF course only $20 in Ohio. I took it in September and got my endorsement. We were told that the funding comes from the course fee and the cost of the temp permit (around $30 if I remember), and then of course we have to get our license with the endorsement on it which is another $20-30. So basically the class in Ohio is very cheap, but they are hiding some of the costs in other areas. Still well worth the $.

The course was 4 hours in classroom and two 4 hours days on the bike. I asked the instructor what was involved with the Experienced riders course, and they said basically it was the exact same thing, only on your bike and not the state's.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

MSF course is free in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                            Wow, sounds alot easier than NJ, well sort of.....

In NJ, according to what i've read on the NJ website, you're not even allowed to RIDE with a learners permit, unless there is someone there WITH you, that has a valid motorcycle license!

So i guess you're supposed to just bug the hell out of your buddy to come tag along with you, every time you want to practice....
                            What if you dont even KNOW anybody with a M license? Now what!?

This doesn't sound right?

Any riders from NJ that got their licenses here?

That's not safe at all! In Maine you can not have anyone ride with you when you have your permit. You have to wear a helmet and you can't ride after dark. You can get your permit when you only have your learner's permit for the normal Class C driver's license too though so you can get it when you're 15 and ride around before you're allowed to drive around. I guess they figure you're less like to cause collateral damage on a bike that in a car!

and I'm moving to PA for a while. Get a free course there! haha

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                              That's not safe at all! In Maine you can not have anyone ride with you when you have your permit. You have to wear a helmet and you can't ride after dark. You can get your permit when you only have your learner's permit for the normal Class C driver's license too though so you can get it when you're 15 and ride around before you're allowed to drive around. I guess they figure you're less like to cause collateral damage on a bike that in a car!

and I'm moving to PA for a while. Get a free course there! haha
                              Yep, PA is a good state....i believe you take your learners test THEN pay your $10......where-as here in NJ, you pay $5 THEN take your test, so they keep your cash either way.....

Plus in PA, you can actually RIDE on a learners permit unsupervised, as long as you hold a current drivers license and are over 18 or 21(cant remember which age limit is correct) Provided you have no passengers and don't ride after dark.

NJ sucks so bad, i have no idea why anyone would voluntarily live here, it could break off and fall into the ocean for all I care!(as long as I get out first! haha)

Comment

Actually both NJ and NY state require riders on learner's permits have a fully licensed rider on their own seperate motorcycle ride with the permit rider at all times.

In MN, no permits are issued to the 16-18 riders unless they first have a valid driver's license and second take the MSF BRC. All permit riders regardless of age are required to wear helmets, can't ride on freeways or limited access divided highways, can't carry passengers or ride after dark. A successful weekend BRC nets the license endorsement for the participant, except for the 16-18 riders who just take their course completion materials to the DMV, pay for their permit, then take the riding test at the testing facility.

Comment

Working...
                                X