"modern" bike ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"modern" bike ride

Being without a GS for a few months, (but still scouting CL for GS deals), I took my son's 2006 Kawi 650R for some exercise while he's storing it at my place. Missing some of the fun factor of my old '81 GS850G, this bike certainly filled the bill for my chilly 35 mile ride to work this morning. A vertical twin at only 390 lbs and pushing 71 hp, this bike was a blast in both the twisties and reaching triple digit speeds quickly. Made me think how my old stock 850G paled in comparison, except the 850 still gets the thumbs up in the seat face-off. I know some of you guys have modernized your old trusty bikes with progressive springs, updated shocks and better tires, etc....and it's not fair to compare a 28 yr old bike with a 2006, but maybe it's time for me to move into the 21st century, eh?....there's still the thrill of the vintage bikes being fixed up at bargain prices, so don't think I'm done with the 80's bikes yet!

Knowing you guys like pics, so even though it's not a GS here ya go:

I had a chance to buy one with minor cosmetic damage cheap, from a friend.
    I rode it for a few blocks. Fun bike!

I have an EX-500 I use for commuting and errand running, otherwise I would have got it.

Comment

I would imagine that would be tons of fun. I've been thinking that a lighter bike might be in the cards for me soon too. The 750 is not a porker in the sense of a Wing or one of those other rolling couches but it no lightweight either. I'm fine underway but moving it around the garage and I've nearly dropped it a time or two recentley.

I've never really taken to the modern sportbikes as the ones I've sat on at the shows are horribly uncomfortable, especially if they are fitted with low clip-ons. That one looks more comfortable as it has a standard type bar with risers and a more upright riding position. I'll bet you could even get longer risers if you wanted to get a bit more upright.

I'd like to try one someday.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Modern bikes are cool, fast and light, good brakes.
        Some are comfortable.
        I like mine but it's not like i"d get rid of the old GSes over it.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          ...... That one looks more comfortable as it has a standard type bar with risers and a more upright riding position. I'll bet you could even get longer risers if you wanted to get a bit more upright.

I'd like to try one someday.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
          Spyug
          The bars are perfect for me for a comfortable upright, slightly forward position and the seat, even though it's harder, was roomy to move a little fore and aft, and very comfortable for the 35 mile commute. Brakes...no comparison...stop on a dime with the 650R.
          And for a twin, it had plenty of power, smooth enough to check the tach and realize I had run it to 10k rpm on a few blasts without any buzziness or urge to upshift...and I could still tilt it to 45 degrees without dropping it in the parking lot, unlike the Connie (tilt it beyond 10-15 degrees in the garage and it's going down!!)
          Don't worry! I'm still partial to the old GSes.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Lurch, I agree, some of the newer bikes are a hoot! The Kawi 650 is both big enough and small enough at the same time.
            I got the chance to ride this one for a bit over 130 miles in two days this week, I recommend that anyone with a hopped-up GS take one for a spin before they are gone. (fire-sale pricing right now!):

It feels (power-wise) just like my 1085 GS.
            The 8-piston front brake, is smooth as glass and with Showa suspension at both ends...

Eric

Comment

This is my sport ride for when I feel the need for speed.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                This is my sport ride for when I feel the need for speed.

V
                is your tank covered in leather?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  , unlike the Connie (tilt it beyond 10-15 degrees in the garage and it's going down!!)
                  Don't worry! I'm still partial to the old GSes.
                  I bought a new Connie in '05. Its less fun to ride than a GS1000G in my opinion. I have never owned anything that needs a fork brace more.

Steer now turn later

How do you like yours?
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

in the last year i threw a leg over the following bikes
                    1. 09 v max
                    2. b king
                    3. benelli 1130 sit up
                    4. 08 m 109
                    5. 07 fz1000
                    6. 08 HD night train
                    7. 05 yamaha warrior with a turbo kit
                    everyone was fun, most will out perform my 84 gs 1150 in everyway. but i just love the old bikes. something about a machine that is 25 years old and still running great .

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
                      but i just love the old bikes. something about a machine that is 25 years old and still running great .
                      It was only recently that I really found that out...I've only ever owned and ridden superbikes until recently. My first bike was a ninja zx-11 and my current superbikes are an R1 and a GSXR1000. My first foray out of superbike territory was last year when I picked up a VSTAR1100. And then my beloved '81 GS450T(RIP) and now my '79 GS1000L. That little bike really taught me the unfettered joys of riding. With the superbikes, I was always mentally preparing myself before I threw a leg over. With the Phat Star, as well as it handled, I was always conscious of it's lack of maneuverability and power. With the little GS, it was always hop and go. Always a constant smile on my face. And now the GS1000 What fun bikes they are.

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
                        in the last year i threw a leg over the following bikes
                        1. 09 v max
                        2. b king
                        3. benelli 1130 sit up
                        4. 08 m 109
                        5. 07 fz1000
                        6. 08 HD night train
                        7. 05 yamaha warrior with a turbo kit
                        everyone was fun, most will out perform my 84 gs 1150 in everyway. but i just love the old bikes. something about a machine that is 25 years old and still running great .
                        Not to put too fine of a point on it, but the night train is not a low 11 second quarter mile machine, nor the M109. Your 1150 will spank them hard or there is something badly wrong with it.

Even going 40 to 80 in top gear in under seven seconds is not on the night train menu, but it is something an 1150 should do.
                        Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-01-2009, 10:46 AM.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Luv the old stuff...but everytime I ride this I feel llike I just got off the Space Shuttle! 1/4 time - 10.9 - 129mph

Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Luv the old stuff...but everytime I ride this I feel llike I just got off the Space Shuttle! 1/4 time - 10.9 - 129mph

There's a doctor in the complex behind my house that has a custom copper/white version, and all it's all I can do to not find a way to steal it. While I was saving for a bike, I had to walk by it every day to the bus. Helped keep my mind focused on motorcycle ownership. I'm a big fan of the black and bronze/light gold color scheme, I especially like it on this bike, which I WILL own one day.

Triumph's Daytona 675. 400 pounds or so wet, 124 hp, and a great suspension with tons of adjustability. When I get one, it's going to see lots and lots of track time.

I'd settle for one of these, as well.

Another Triumph, this time the Street Triple R. Basically the bike above, but without fairings and clip-ons, and about twenty-five horsepower less. Powerband's not as peaky as the Daytona as well, with more torque available sooner, and a lower overall redline.

Comment

Working...
                            X