Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How low can I go

Ok,
    This is my first year of riding. My commute to work is nearly all back roads and is about 20 miles. It is an enjoyable ride, so I take my bike to work whenever I can. By trial and error, I am discovering how to stay warm in colder weather. I think I may have reached my breaking point today. It was 30 this morning (About 1 below zero for you Europeans and Canadians on here). Since I don't have a windshield on my bike, this was probably as low as I will be able to tolerate (i.e. the pleasure factor of riding the bike did not outweigh the discomfort of being frggin' cold). I am just curious, what is the coldest anyone on here has ever ridden?

I cut the ride off after about 30 minutes because my fingers were getting beyond cold to numb.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

My personal record was two years ago at 18 deg F. I've since added more things to keep warm with, really good heated grips, now I have a Widder heated vest, (oh, so nice!!!) and fairing lowers. Oh yeah, I've got a Windjammer fairing and windshield, an old sheepskin leather jacket on my saddle that retains heat, I haven't felt uncomfortable yet this year after getting the vest, just bought new winter gloves on sale at Motorcycle Superstore (PolarTex on sale and silk liners), I'm getting a new Teknics Stinger Textile jacket to wear next week when it arrives (got it on sale too). I wear a balaclava under my full face helmet, Carhart socks, nice and comfy. If the roads stay dry and I can get out of my driveway (it and the road in front of my house are iced when nothing else is), I'll continue to ride.

Comment

You can continue riding at these temps, with the right equipment. Get a windshield at the very least, and a couple layers of thin clothing under your riding gear. I often ride at temps just above freezing...below 0C the danger has more to do with encountering ice unexpectedly, but at that point, absent proper gear, as you've said, the lack of comfort outweighs the enjoyment of riding anyway.
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

hippo hands

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            My personal record was two years ago at 18 deg F. I've since added more things to keep warm with, really good heated grips, now I have a Widder heated vest, (oh, so nice!!!) and fairing lowers. Oh yeah, I've got a Windjammer fairing and windshield, an old sheepskin leather jacket on my saddle that retains heat, I haven't felt uncomfortable yet this year after getting the vest, just bought new winter gloves on sale at Motorcycle Superstore (PolarTex on sale and silk liners), I'm getting a new Teknics Stinger Textile jacket to wear next week when it arrives (got it on sale too). I wear a balaclava under my full face helmet, Carhart socks, nice and comfy. If the roads stay dry and I can get out of my driveway (it and the road in front of my house are iced when nothing else is), I'll continue to ride.
            Dan, can I assume you don't have any electrical issues with the Widder vest? I actually have one but I have always been concerned that our meager GS charging systems might not be able to handle the extra drain of heated clothing. Do you leave it on when you are city riding and/or idling?
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

With multiple layers I've ridden in the teens and been plenty warm. Don, dpep, had a great tip a couple of years back involving the use of the chemical hand warmers you can buy for about a buck. Place them in pockets near your heart to keep your torso warm. You could also drop some in your boots to keep the extremities warm.

Comment

I would be concerned with frost/leaf combination on those back roads - be careful, could get slippery

Comment

I once rode from Millington, Tenn. to Little Rock on my CB450 when the temp. was in the low teens and air was very dry.

I was a young and poor sailor so I tried to insulate with newspapers under my coat and pant legs. At first, I was FREEZING but then it seemed to let up a little. When I pulled off the freeway at the halfway point for a cup of coffee, I couldn't get my foot off the peg at the off-ramp stop sign in time to keep from tipping over. My legs just didn't want to move.

I managed to pick myself and the bike back up and proceeded to get some coffee. I had stopped shivering but the coffee brought them back - very bad sign.

When I got to my buddy's folks' house in Little Rock, it took me hours to stop shivering. I know now that I should have seen a doctor because I had hypothermia but at that time, I just suffered through it.

A freezing rain came through the area so I took a bus back to the base at the end of the weekend. The bus was the last vehicle through before the state police closed the highway.

The real point of this story is that it is easy to get too cold and get into real trouble. Dress carefully and pay attention to the signs your body sends you.

Comment

OK, I cheat.

Home-wired electric jacket, Widder gloves, wind pants and a MONSTER fairing (standard-issue on the Wing ) , 220 watts of lights out front (to heat the air and melt the snow) and a 90-amp alternator to drive it all.

Currently commuting 77 miles (one way) to work, have not touched a steering wheel for a couple of weeks now. Temps in the morning are ranging between low 30s and low 40s. Afternoons have been low 50s to mid 70s.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dress for it

I'm the last biker riding to work here. Temp this a.m. was about 30ish, dressed for it and was a happy camper. Tonight temps were a bit lower 28ish and I wasn't too happy, but it will be warmer in the morning.
                      The bike has a Windjammer upper and lowers, I have two pairs of pants, two jackets, a hoody, nice gloves and 3/4 helmet. I feel a bit like the Michelan Man, but warm.
                      bill

Comment

If there's no snow or ice on the roads, I'll ride.
                        Lotsa layers is the key. And a windshield.
                        I just picked up some insulated coveralls to go over my normal clothes (long underwear and khakis, longsleeved teeshirt or two, overshirt, wool sweater). My leather coat fits over the coveralls.
                        Also just picked up some snowmobiling gloves and I'm eager to try them out.
                        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693054986_036c0d6951_m.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693282393_74ae51fbf9_m.jpg https://flic.kr/p/2mKXzTx]

Comment

last winter i was at a red light in my home town....right behind 2 big s/t bikes....it was -4F. me, i suffer from a thing called reynaud's disease, and struggle with anything below 60.

Comment

Hippo hands, down to the teens for me if it is dry. Bit soggy out right now.
                            V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                              Millington, Tenn.
                              BTDT. Lived there about a year. Airwing Jarhead.

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                              it took me hours to stop shivering.
                              BTDT too. Got caught in the rain with no rain gear. About 50 degrees. Sucked the heat right outa me. Thats the coldest Ive ever been.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X