stopped to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stopped to help

I was going home after picking up a new oil pan for my Safari van from a wrecking yard. Just tooling along at 62 in a 55 on hwy 26 and I see this bike alongside the road and the rider had his helmet off, so I slow down to pull over and see if there is anything that I can do for him.

Well I was just stopping about 5 feet away when he turns away from me and I see POLICE on the back of his coat. OH BOY. So I say to him, that I saw him and was stopping to see if he needed help. He looks at me with a grin and says, "I am broke down and have help on the way." We chat a bit while the traffic thins enough for me to get back on the road.

It seems that he was taking off to stop a speeder, and around here that is 10 or more over, not much to worry about under that, and blew his clutch. " I guess that one got away" he says. The cops around here drive the new Beamers and are having a few reliability issues.

I just tell him that they should have stuck with the Kawasaki's and he agreed. Traffic thinned so off I went, I came out of 1st gear at 50 and left him shaking his head alongside of the road. I was on my 80 GS 1100 LT.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Yes the old Kaw was very reliable, just like out GS bikes. But anything can happen.
    Their was a cost analist done in Los Angeles PD between the HD and BMW the BMW was cheaper with a cost per mile of
    something like 31 cents per mile 34 per mile for the HD
    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I figure an FJR would make a reliable cop Bike.

Then I see this crazy Vid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p31Uu536WQA
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

Very cool....they draw & fire with gloves on.....must have weak return springs on the throttle too, as their engine braking is minimal with hands off the bars.
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

I can do that, but the all-knowing state of IL won't let me...

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            their engine braking is minimal with hands off the bars.
            Looks like they pull in the clutch.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
            X