Update on my 1st GS experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on my 1st GS experience

Just a little update.....for those that don't remember me, I took possession of my buddies GS750E last winter while he was "away" for 9 months. I hadn't had a bike at all in many years & had never worked on one at all.

With much help from GSR, I got it together & running awesome with my own hands!! It was my first experience with a GS & I quickly became addicted, I even got to go on an all day ride with another dear friend 3 weeks before he lost his life on his GSXR1000 in Oct. of last year. R.I.P. Big Chad!

Anyway, after my 9 months of joy & sorrow with the 750, I had to give it back to my buddy in April of this year upon his return from his 9 month "vacation". The bike is still running awesome from the work I did on it & I do get to ride it on occasion. Sadly, I still don't have my own & have missed out on many deals, but one day..........

This may be a boring story, but the pride I feel that it is still running excellent after 8 months, & the fact it was my first time ever working on a bike, gives me a sense of accomplishment that I thought I would share.

"Im now hooked" on the GSs & one of these days I will get my hands dirty on another!! I rode it the other day before he decided to store it for the winter!! first pic is the bike when I had it, 2nd pic is him on it deciding he would do a burnout before storing her before winter.

Update

That is a precious moment right there..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      That is a precious moment right there..

LMAO

Comment

Its a great feeling to bring something 'back to life" and you do get addicted to it. I have done 3 restos in the last 4 years and am on my 4th now ( 1982 750 Katana). In a little way I think I can understand how doctors, nurses and medics must feel, especially those in ER units.

It is sad to give up something you have poured your soul into over these months but the truth is there will be others...so don't despair.

The only thing I'd be really sad about is the way your buddy put the boots to her in that pic. That would get me mad. Maybe he should go away for another "vacation" and give her back to you.

Now get looking for something to wrench on.

cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Most of the GS bikes I see listed for sale around here, are in need of the typical carb rebuild and a tune up. Prices range from 100 bucks to $800 or so.

You can definitely get back on another G if you really feel like it - just be pro-active about making offers to people with bikes for sale local to you.

It definitely is a big accomplishment to get anything this old running great, and almost a year later it's still tire smokin' good. I'm glad you put the work into the bike, sucks that you had to return it.

Sorry to hear about the departed - that hits close to home for all of us.

Get another G, and get to work on it! We will be expecting to see another thread from you before winter is over. (Buy now while prices are down.)

Comment

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
            Most of the GS bikes I see listed for sale around here, are in need of the typical carb rebuild and a tune up. Prices range from 100 bucks to $800 or so.

You can definitely get back on another G if you really feel like it - just be pro-active about making offers to people with bikes for sale local to you.

It definitely is a big accomplishment to get anything this old running great, and almost a year later it's still tire smokin' good. I'm glad you put the work into the bike, sucks that you had to return it.

Sorry to hear about the departed - that hits close to home for all of us.

Get another G, and get to work on it! We will be expecting to see another thread from you before winter is over. (Buy now while prices are down.)

Yep, I feel awesome about the work I did, I wanna work on another GS, preferably my own this time!! Money is finally starting to pick up & I will soon be on the hunt!! My goal is to get one going in memory of my lost friend, the first thing I want to do is a solo ride in his memory following the same route of our one & only ride we got to do together!

I've been keeping my eyes open for an 1100E..........man! what a bike!! Who knows what I'll end up with, but I am going to do my best to have that new thread you are talking about before winter is over! Everybody wish me luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by imnowhooked View Post
              I've been keeping my eyes open for an 1100E..........man! what a bike!! Who knows what I'll end up with, but I am going to do my best to have that new thread you are talking about before winter is over! Everybody wish me luck!!
              Good luck with your search...... a rider of your stature needs an 1100E!
              You should be able to get a good deal, with the economy & the time of year....a 'doctor' in your neck of the woods recently cured his own craving, by snagging a good looking one for $400!

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                Good luck with your search...... a rider of your stature needs an 1100E!
                You should be able to get a good deal, with the economy & the time of year....a 'doctor' in your neck of the woods recently cured his own craving, by snagging a good looking one for $400!

Tony.

By referring to my stature, are you talking about my size? That's not me on the bike, that's my buddy on his bike I got running for him. He's 6' 7", 350 pnds! I'm a big guy, but not that big!!

Yes, I am aware of the local "docs" score, I was sick for days & am now being treated for depression!

Comment

DoctorGonzo's going to be doing a lot of the same things to his bike that'll you'll most likely need to yours, whatever type of drive and engine is in it. You two should get together and turn wrenches together. You get free instruction for the procedures you'll need to do on your bike, he get's a helper. Win win situation. Plus, you'll have a local GSer to ride with, and I'm willing to wager he'd return the favor anytime you need help.

Comment

Originally posted by imnowhooked View Post
                    Update
                    nice bike indeed. Sorry to hear about your friend passing away.

If you're looking for another GS now's the time. It's a buyer's market for motorcycles, try using a craigslist search engine to search your local area for good deals. Try searchtempest or craiglook, there are a few others... good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
                      nice bike indeed. Sorry to hear about your friend passing away.
                      Thank you sir, he will be dearly missed & I will never forget him!!

FYI, my friend doing the burnout on the bike is not the one who passed & that is the bike I "perfected" for him while he was "away" for a while.....just in case there is any confusion.

I am definitely looking for one, I would love to have one soon to get ready for springtime.......patience is a virtue I guess!
                      I am indeed addicted to the GSs & can't wait to make that solo memorial ride for my lost friend, it will mean a lot!

Comment

Working...
                      X