Of roosters and motorcycles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of roosters and motorcycles.

When you don't have a garage, and your bike is parked right outside your main entrance.. there isn't a day that goes by that you don't think of putting a smile on your face. If the sun peeks out from behind the clouds just long enough for you to think riding is a good idea... well you know what to do.

It was a brisk yet very tolerable day out today in the low to mid 40's, so I geared up and turned the key on. I was focused on being extra careful, because most of the back roads I jaunt tend to be covered in debris or a winter mix of: "you're going to fall if you turn on this." All was great, but I was getting tired of having to be cautious leaning around turns - so I decided to take some suburban streets instead of my usual mountain thoroughfares.

I chose a road that I've driven in my car for the past several years. It begins with a sharp left, which immediately runs into an abrupt drop that will take your breath away in any vehicle if you're traveling at a good rate of speed. Of course I twisted the throttle to get my jolly on, and proceeded into a right turn which is followed by a straight 1/4 mile... I think my right foot reacted before I could even process what the heck I was stabbing the brake to avoid..

As my rear tire locks and skids towards the shoulder I feel the bike tipping to the left, in a split second I actually thought this: "Holy s*it.. there is a road full of roosters, I'm about to fall, why the heck is the road full of roosters, how am I going to handle this.. I am approaching quickly, damn it my tire is locked, WHY IS THE ROAD FULL OF ROOSTERS!?!?"

I guess the fox left the coupe door open? In any case, I kicked the shifter down to 3'rd,, yanked the throttle open and the sudden jolt righted the bike and I just missed the birds. I thought to myself, "I'm kinda hungry for chicken tonight, I ought to circle back-round' and bring home some dinner."

Good times..
    Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM.

I almost took a big white domestic goose in the helmet once. I was following a car and saw him flying right down the middle of the road toward us. The car took him in the windshield, over the car, and right over my head. Whew.....
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
      "Holy s*it.. there is a road full of roosters, I'm about to fall, why the heck is the road full of roosters, how am I going to handle this.. I am approaching quickly, damn it my tire is locked, WHY IS THE ROAD FULL OF ROOSTERS!?!?"
      Haha... that must have been a surreal moment! I'm glad it turned out okay.

Did you have chicken for dinner?

Comment

Had a big chunk of turkey meatloaf, haha. Not quite chicken but close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          I almost took a big white domestic goose in the helmet once. I was following a car and saw him flying right down the middle of the road toward us. The car took him in the windshield, over the car, and right over my head. Whew.....
          One of these bad boys? (Snow geese at the local reservoir a few days ago)

Comment

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
            One of these bad boys? (Snow geese at the local reservoir a few days ago)
            Oh ! I wondered where they were all going......

We also have a huge flock of tundra swans come through every fall too. (big bird!)

This was actually a mother goose. White domestic goose. The guy who owned it actually saw it hit the car. It went over my head, into the ditch, and then crawled into a culvert. I pulled over cause the car windshield was shattered. As I was walking up to the driver he tried to brush the glass shards off himself. Bloodied his hands doing that. We all walked over to the culvert to see the dead duck (goose) and were surprised when it went waddling out the other side.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Great story. When I motocrossed, I learned that throttle on means control, which is what you got when you nailed it. It will straighten the bike up, although I admit I never navigated through chickens with this strategy. I prefer Church's to KFC, but it all tastes like chicken.

Comment

When I was a teenager I was flying down a road that was bordered by the local University's teaching farm. I topped a rise and saw the road blocked by 15-20 half grown pigs! At that speed there was no way to stop so I closed my eyes, laid on the horn and braced for impact. They must have been fast because they scattered and me and the 68 Charger rolled through untouched. To this day when I'm on that road I watch for stray animals in the road.
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                  When I was a teenager I was flying down a road that was bordered by the local University's teaching farm. I topped a rise and saw the road blocked by 15-20 half grown pigs! At that speed there was no way to stop so I closed my eyes, laid on the horn and braced for impact. They must have been fast because they scattered and me and the 68 Charger rolled through untouched. To this day when I'm on that road I watch for stray animals in the road.
                  Now lets see a pic of the '68 charger. One of my all time favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                    When I was a teenager I was flying down a road that was bordered by the local University's teaching farm. I topped a rise and saw the road blocked by 15-20 half grown pigs! At that speed there was no way to stop so I closed my eyes, laid on the horn and braced for impact. They must have been fast because they scattered and me and the 68 Charger rolled through untouched.
                    Watching for oncoming traffic is basic police training .*
                    They probably think twice before setting up roadblocks now.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                      Now lets see a pic of the '68 charger. One of my all time favorites.
                      Here Ya Go!

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Awesome looking Charger. My alltime favorite car. But, it's not orange and doesn't have a confederate flag on top. What's up with that?
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

It Pre Dates the Dukes

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                          X