My Crash Last Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kirkn View Post

Give us the rundown on the actual crash. If I'm going to learn from this to wear all the gear, all the time, I'd also like to learn how to NOT need to put the gear to the test as well.
    In my opinion - there will never be a point where you don't need to put on the gear. It doesn't matter if you are the most fantastic cyclist in the world, there are other people on the road who arent. As well, you never know whats aroound the next corner....gravel, logging truck, tire blowout, ect. If you are the kind of person that won't wear gear til you have no face, than I'm wasting my time :-)

Here is the turn I went down on, zoom down to road view to see it.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=18

If I had pushed my counter-steer all the way through the turn, I would not have went down. Beginner's mistake.

My jacket is where I landed, this is after we pulled the bike up.

Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2010, 09:51 AM.

Comment

No, no, no, you misunderstand me. I am an ATGATT preacher already! But, I want to learn more from your crash than JUST to be sure to wear my gear, which is what a lot of the comments seemed to be limited to.

I want to learn from your crash to be a better RIDER. Not so that I don't have to wear the gear (because I always will, no matter how 'good' I may think I am), but so that I don't make the same driver error, or whatever...

And, "beginner's mistake" - it still seems like you're trying to downplay it as no big deal.

So, I'm still not clear here - which way were you going? Right-hander or left-hander? Off the road to the inside or to the outside of the turn? So, you did something that sent you off the road and you lost traction. Front wheel lose traction? Rear wheel skid? Just generally went down from bumping along the shoulder at 35 mph?

Again, I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, and I'm probably being a little dense here from your pictures and all. Sorry 'bout that.

*EDIT* Ah, I think I see. I clicked on your link and got a view of the S-turn. Looks like you were making a left-hander and went wide and ran off the road, lost it, and wound up on the inside of the following right-hander? Looks like a little more to the right, and you'd have been down in a little gully there. Whew! Yeah, push the bar a little harder, lean a little harder, and maybe you wouldn't have gone off in the first place. Of course, once you're doin' your dirt-tracker imitation, all bets are off...
      Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

So I'm lost. If I understand your line correctly, did you start to cut back to the inside too soon? Please help teach me as well since I'll start riding here in the next month or so and don't want to screw it up that fast. I have a real nasty tight s-curve to go through entering the AF base and although it will be at slow speeds anyway, it's already stop and go traffic when I run through the gate. I'd like to know what kind of "beginner's mistake" you made so I know not to do it as well.

Thanks and I'm sorry you got hurt. Hope all heals fast
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X