Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rose And I Do some landscaping (or, How we wrecked at BC Rally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rose And I Do some landscaping (or, How we wrecked at BC Rally)

So, aside from those that were at the BC Rally, who've all heard what happened, a couple of people actually PMed me asking for "Crash Details".. We all know how Americans love a good auto accident!

For my part, I wish I could say that I wrecked in a crazy "turn around and kiss your own ass" turn, or on a road that doubled back on itself behind a hill, or avoiding a deer or something, but I can't What I can do is post my story in hopes that perhaps it will maybe show some newer riders what NOT to do, and that even guys who have been riding for a LOOONG time can still make treacherous mistakes in judgment while at speed.

Rose and I, aboard Essie (my 83 GS1100ES, my prized possesion, and the ONE GS that I would NEVER EVER pass along to someone else) and strapped with full saddlebags, a tank bag, a rack and backrest (thanks Mikey!!) and another, small tank bag that I rigged as a makeshift trunk to hold all my tools, along with Dogma (Dale) atop his 850GL, were coming up a favorite road of ours. We'd found Indiana 250 last year on the way back from BC Rally 09, which turned out to be pretty much a washout for the weekend, and absolutely LOVED it. The road itself is fairly well maintained, aside from the gravel shoulders (which, oddly, there was no gravel that I can recall seeing last year) that had obviously been washed into the road from the rain this year. The elevation changes rather drasticly from one turn to the next, and its nonstop high speed sweepers, chicanes, and super tight up and down hill decreasing radius turns. Basically, a corner carver's wet dream. Its not incredibly long, maybe 15-20 miles, but its some intense stuff, so after a bit, you're glad to catch a straight to get your breath back.

So, we'd been lucky this day. The weather was gorgeous for once, there were only two bikes, so we could HAUL ASS without feeling like we were leaving anyone behind. Mind you, I had actually dialed it back a couple notches because I had Rose on the back (not that she's scared of corner carving) and all that luggage (which was the first time I had mounted this stuff on the bike) so I was still trying to get a feel for the added weight of the bags. After a bit, I picked up the pace just a little, as I was starting to get into the zone, and get a little frisky. This was my first real hardcore carving ride of this young season, as its at least an hour and a half from our home to any decent roads, and I work so much, its hard to get away for a day or two to knock the winter wobbles off. Anyway, by this point, I was feeling pretty good, seeing the lines well, carying alot of speed through the corners etc...

We had run through almost ALL of 250, down to the last few turns. The last couple of turns on the road actually run through a lil sleepy town called Paris Crossing. The posted speed limit through this town I think is 45. We were probably doing 55. So not exactly legal, but not being complete ass hats either. We had just come through a series of esses, and quite a few had had gravel strewn through the center track. I had used my foot to point it out to Dale so he knew about it way in advance of setting his line. I tend to run pretty deep into the corners to aid in seeing all the way through them, i think they call it "Late Apex" or whatever. It feels natural, and I find Im able to carry more speed when I dont have to slow down to set up a blind corner. Im no "track" guy, its just stuff I either learned riding dirt for all my younger life, and stuff ive picked up over the years on the street. Little things like reading the terrain, reading the inside AND outside lane lines to assist you in knowing whats around the corner as far as whether or not the road falls away, the corner gets tighter, or looser, or what have you.. At any rate, gravel in the CENTER track of a corner generally hinders my lines very little. Unless, of course its right in the apex, where I start to come from the outside to the inside of the lane...

We came up to the last 'ess" turn. A fairly loose right then left. The only thing, looking back on it, aside from gravel, that would have posed a challenge at all would be that the left hander of the ess had a slight rise, and then quick drop on the back side. So early on you couldnt quite see where the road went on the backside of the left... I rolled the bike into the right hander, and once she was over, I started to look for my roll over point for the lefty. As I was picking the bike up, I noticed that the left hand turn had a side street coming out on it right in the apex. Just a little one lane residental access road. No traffic. I rolled the bike up and over to dive into the left turn. Then I saw it. At the end of the access road was a spray of fairly large gravel, then, what looked like smaller sandy gravel that looked like it had washed into the apex of the left hand turn. I immediately scanned for a avoidance route, but it seemed to be all the way through my line, the lane, and into the OPPOSITE lane.. Now alarms were going off.. I was probably doing about 45, and I immediately stood the bike up and was on the brakes. I wasnt about to roll through that sand heeled over at this speed with this much weight on the bike. Not happening. I had already played that game a couple years back in West Virginia and barely kept the bike upright. With Rose on the back, and loaded with gear, I wasnt going to try to right the bike should it lose its ass. It simply wasnt going to happen.

So I was upright and on the brakes hard. My rear brake has been problematic. I have bled the living crap out of it, and it still feels like complete mush untill its at the point of impending lock up. So I was on the rear as hard as I felt comfortable. Locking the rear is something I have done many times. And with just ME and no baby girl or gear on the back, its pretty easy to control. But I have never tried "panic stops' with the bike loaded, or with Rose on it. *Note to self: Practice this!!*

My FRONT brakes however, have become quite effective since I swapped to SS lines and a newer style MC with piston stroke adjustment. Its actually allowed me to fine tune the lever feel. Quite nice. But, I have never ever ever been keen on locking up the front.

It quickly became apparent that we were NOT going to have enough room to stop on pavement. So, I immediately scanned the horizon for my next option. There was what looked like a relatively flat, very wide lawn on the outside of the corner. This was where we were going. I felt, at worst, I would manage to slow us down enough that if we did go down, it would keep us alive, and hopefully relatively unhurt. At best, I'd manage to stop her. I had done this a time or two with a street bike and ME, and I had a LOT of dirt experience. So keeping her upright seemed plausible at the time.

I pointed the bike at what looked like the flattest part of the yard. What I DIDNT see was that just off the edge of the road was a very very shallow but wide ditch. Maybe 2 inches deep, but easily a foot and a half wide or so. Once we went off the edge of the road, there was a split second where I thought I was actually going to stop her upright, and I began contemplating how I was going to keep her that way once we stopped because it became instantly apparent that the yard was VERY wet, and VERY muddy. It was also at this time where the back wheel lost it, and slid out from under us. The next second, the front wheel went out along with it. In the "Bazilasecond" that followed, I simultaneously let go of the left bar, and loosened by grip on the tank with my knees. And for another bazilasecond, I was suspended in midair as the bike slid out from under us. In that time, I distinctly remember thinking "This is going to hurt...BAD" The next thing I knew, I was on my back looking up and seeing Rose literally go flying superman style over top of me and land half way on my leg and halfway in the mud. I laid there for what seemed like an eternity. I thought to myself: That really honestly didnt hurt as much as I thought it was going to. Out of the left corner of my visor, I saw Rose sit up like a shot. She was grabbing at her helmet, then realized she still had it strapped. I hadnt moved. She scrambled to grab my leg and shake me, as if to ask "Are you alive?" I picked just my head up and looked at her...

Man I'm just glad you 2 are ok. We can get essie back together and ready for west virginia.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Once I was sure she was ok, I laid my head back down. I didnt even want to look over at Essie, as I was sure she was totaled. She had to be.

By now Dale had stopped and gotten his helmet and stuff off.

"Are you guys ok?? What happened"

I dont think I responded. I turned my head, I had to know. There, about two feet away from us, lay Essie. Her power still on, but the motor wasnt. Gas was leaking out of the cap of the tank and carburetors. Suddenly, the haze started to lift. I snapped into reality. I jumped up, asked Rose if she was ok.

" I think so"

We needed to get Essie up off the ground. Dale and I hoisted her onto her wheels. I stood there, with Essie propped up against my body. The wet, soft ground wouldnt support her on her sidestand, so I became her leaning post.

"What can I do?" Asked Dale.

Suddenly, I was burning up. I couldnt breathe.

" Can you hold her please?" I snapped " I need to get away from her. I cant breathe..." The adrenaline had me shaking. I stripped off my helmet and my jacket and gloves. I walked a few feet. Pacing. Trying to catch my breath. The realization of what I had done began to set in.

"You moron," I thought "What made you think you could keep that bike upright in the grass?? Why didnt you just push her through the turn. F**K the gravel!! Now look what you've done. Your baby girl is hurt and freaked out, and your bike is probably totaled. What a ROOK move. DUMBASS!! How the hell are you gonna get out of this??? Huh?""

I fumbled through my jacket for my smokes... Dale suggested we push the bike over to hard ground and asses the damages before deciding what to do or who to call.

Comment

excellent write up so far...

can't believe the 'what if I' started so soon. Make the best call you can be it in car, truck, on the bike. Tis what it is after that commitment decision.

Seemed like logical choice. Bike can't turn if front/rear can't grip. Low-side on pavement vs whatever happens on grass. Easy choice.

Gas or brakes on when you hit mud/grass/ditch?

Probably not have made a difference. Very hard to get road rash on grass/dirt.

Right call given the circumstances.

Try to put myself in your spot, come round a corner, see what you describe and you have a split second to decide, 'continue on and see what holds' or check out my options and commit. Happens so fast yet seems in slow motion.

But to walk away with some relatively minor bike damage and all humans intact, its a win.

Comment

As we were pushing her through the soft grass, I noticed my thumb on my right hand hurt a bit. We got her on the residential road, and set her on her sidestand.

The gauges were trashed, the glass face busted into a few hundred shards. The speedo needle was stuck at around 20MPH. The housing was heavily cracked and tons of grass and mud were sticking out of it. The left bar looked ok, but the RIGHT bar was pushed so far forward, they almost made an "L" The fairing was shoved over about 1/4 inch toward the tank. Not touching, but damn close. It had some pretty bad gouges in the side of it. The stator cover was completely covered in a cake of mud, and mud was packed in between the front wheel and fender, as well as in between the cooling fins. The left rear signal was dangling by its wires, the left front was turned inside, smacking the fork leg.

"F**K" I screamed.

A neighbour lady came rushing over. Are we ok? Do we need to call 911, something to drink? I just stared at her.. I didnt know what to say. Rose jumped in. We were ok, mostly. No, 911 wasnt necessary.
          The lady proceeded to tell us how in the last few weeks a few bikes and even a car had crashed in this very same spot...

I called Brett Griffin. He was at the Rosemount, waiting on us. I told him what happened. Told him we were going to see if she would run, and see what we could do about getting there...

Thanks to Dale's brute strength, we managed to get the bars in a useable position. Felt quite weird, but useable. Amazingly, Essie fired right back to life, though she ran a little rough for a couple seconds as the carbs were probably flooded. After straightening out a couple things, and figuring out how to mount our new, now busted saddlebags on the back of Dales bike, I spun the bike up the access road a couple times to make sure she tracked and felt right. Then, Brave, brave Rose climbed aboard, and we headed off, much slower, to Bedford. ALong the way, I realized, now that the adrenaline and endorphins were wearing thin, that my thumb was in pretty bad shape. I could barely grip the throttle. I used my throttle lock to assist me, allowing me to only have to make minute adjustments with just the ring and middle finger doing the gripping.

Once we made it to the Rosemount, Brett took stock of the damage, jumped on his bike and blasted home, returning a couple hours later with a couple of spare 700ES gauges, and some new bars. I started to disassemble the front end, but was pretty pathetic in doing it because I couldnt grip any tools with my right hand. And, as luck would have it, im right handed. Seeing this, Larry D and TWR (Tim Rose) jumped in to assist. With me more or less directing the action, the two of them tore the front end of the bike apart, and we re-assembled with the spare parts Brett had brought back. We had to do some gauge surgery to the other set of gauges to get MY mounting bracket on them to clear the ignition switch, but other than that, it was pretty straight forward. By 1AM, Essie was at least rideable for the rest of the weekend.

After this loooong long eventfull day, Rose and I crashed hard. 8:30 came awfully fast, but we got up, took showers and my brave Rose hopped on the back of Essie and we went riding for a few hours with Brett and Dale. We turned in a bit earlier than the rest, for we were both VERY VERY VERY sore (and still are VERY VERY sore) and Painter Dave went down to CVS and got a brace for my thumb (what a good guy!! Thanks Dave)

All in all, I could think of at least 10 different ends to this scenario. I could also think of 10 different ways i could have done things. I have ridden MUCH MUCH more challenging and tighter roads at MUCH MUCH faster speeds, but what this shows is that even experienced riders can have momentary lapses in decision making skills. And those lapses can cause even experienced riders to have some serious problems in a hurry. It only takes a fraction of a second to make a decision. But sometimes, that's either too long a time, or the pressure makes you chose the wrong thing. And sometimes, there is no RIGHT decision.

In the end, Im very very thankful that Rose and I are ok. The bike is repairable (although finding some of those parts is going to be tough ) And Im extremely thankful for all my GSR friends. This place truely is like family. Im happy and lucky to be a part of it. Rose as well. And Im lucky to have a woman as trusting, understanding and loving as Rose. I dunno how many girls would get on a bike with someone who had just wrecked them.

In a way, Im glad I hit that grass in hindsight. I dont even want to imagine what COULD have happened had we hit some gravel in the middle of that turn... I might not be here to tell about it...

Thanks again GSR Family. WIthout you guys, I dunno what would have happened.

Comment

All I can say is "you lucky #!!*#!!*". Nothing like that has happened to me yet, not looking forward to the day it does. Took some tips from you post, thanks.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'm glad that you guys are ok. Don't even worry about the bike, the important thing is your own well-being. The bike will heal itself. I know how hard it is to compensate for every move while you have a crap load of luggage and a passenger. It doesn't matter how long or how far you're riding, there's always something where you least expect it.
              Give Rose a pat on the shoulder for being a brave girl.
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by shirazdrum View Post
                Give Rose a pat on the shoulder for being a brave girl.
                Chris
                Better make sure that shoulder doesn't hurt first.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

glad you both are pretty much ok.
                  THanks for sharing.

Comment

TCK-

I'm real sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear the consequencess aren't too serious.

Heal first and then fix the machinery. Then ride on with perhaps a few new lessons to add to the experience total.

Glad you and your lady are OK.

Comment

What's great about this, is you are here writing this post. Nothing else really matters, we all make mistakes at some point on these two wheelers, for me it was a blessing in disguise when I went down a year ago.....GSR will fix the bike.

Again glad you are both OK!!!

Joe
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2010, 07:52 AM.

Comment

All in all think you did the right thing, decisions change with passengers and even though you went down it was the safer bet and I would have probably done the same.

I had brake lines go on my truck and went for ditch / mud vs the car in front of me and even if I knew I would go down in the dirt I would take that over the chance of making it or going down harder on pavement.

Solo my decisions like possibly yours would be to try and power through the turn and commit, but two up I would be more likely to sacrifice the bike and hit the brakes.

Comment

Hey Josh, sounds like you took the right path. Very similar to my corner crash last year, your bars bent the exact same as mine did, but your fork came out unscathed apparently. Grass is more forgiving than asphalt any day. It's amazing how many decisions are made, discarded and decided on in a few milliseconds.....My bike endoed somewhere in the crash process, I was so glad I didn't have a pillion at that time. Like yours, mine also started up, and I was able to power it out of the ditch.
                          Glad you and Rose are OK, it's amazing how much we use our thumbs, isn't it?

Comment

Josh and Rose..I dont get online much since moving. If you ever need anything you guys have my phone number..CALL!!.. Glad you guys are relatively ok as far as injuries go. Keep safe and will chat you up later.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Josh & Rose, glad you too weren't injured! Funny how we check the equipment seemingly first.. guess it's the fact that since we CAN, our injuries mustn't be too serious! BTW, I'm sure you have already seen the one for sale in Spokane on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                              X