Two GSs crash a GoldWing party..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two GSs crash a GoldWing party..

Well, Rose and myself, and Dogma just returned home from MY third, and Roses and Dogma's first trip to the annual West Virgina GoldWing gathering. Its not an "official" GWRRA rally, as that would require some sort of sanctioning and yadda yadda im sure, but for eight years now, Ohio's GW chapter X2, and a few other chapters from a couple of other states (seems like another one shows every year) to be hosted by the West Virginia GW Chapter K for a weekend of twisty mountain roads, GORGEOUS scenery, and lots of fun and laughs. Do *I* own a GoldWing? NO. Do they care? Absolutely not. Of course I got ribbed about it all weekend as I always do. But it's all good natured. They dont give a rats patoot what you're on, so long as you have fun.

This year's was down a little in the attendance department, which honestly I think turned out for the better, as the groups were much smaller. Last year there were well over 100 GWs, and a smattering of other makes and models. (even a friggin Vespa..HA!) This year there were only maybe 60 or so, I didnt get an actual count.

We started out Friday morning with the trip down from Dayton, Ohio, to Elkins, West Virgina. Unfortunately, the first leg, as always is, was slab (US35) to Gallapolis Ohio where we crossed the mighty Ohio River into West Va. After some lunch, we headed down US33, which, in this area, is a fantastic warm up playground (provided you dont get stuck behind loafing traffic, slower bikes, and people pulling campers down for the holiday weekend, which we did occasionally) Once we hit 33, Dogma (who was on his GS1000G) and Rose and I (on my GS1100ES) took the lead so we could hit some of the twists and turns fairly hard. Fate was not smiling upon us however, and it seemed like the very best parts of the road (it's all a great road, however, some parts are certainly better than others..especially the hairpins) were spoiled by slow moving traffic who didn't seem to notice or care HOW many people they were holding up. But, it was still an enjoyable day just the same.

We rolled into Elkins around 5 o'clock in the evening. A bit earlier than I had thought we would, but perfectly fine with me. It had been a hot day, and Rose and I were sweaty, tired and she was especially ready to get off the bike. 300 plus miles aboard a bike that wasnt really designed for two-up touring had her booty and legs screaming. The saddlebags just dont leave any room for her to adjust her footing while riding, so needless to say, she was a bit uncomfortable after half the day.
    Plus, even though its a ton more comfy than the stocker, the Corbin seat, again, isnt really made for two-up, full day long mile stuff. GSRs own Mikey Riddle DID lend us his rack and back-rest so Rose would be a bit more comfortable however, and she certainly appreciated that! (thanks Mikey!)

After cooling off a bit, unpacking, and some rehydration and parkinglot BBQ dinner, there was a "Riders Meeting" You all can say what you want, and poo poo the 'Wingers "Organization" and what not, but it really is all for the purpose of safety. Contrary to popular belief, they dont go riding through the hills in staggered formation, like an accident waiting to happen, or block traffic like some OTHER MC Clubs "Road Captains" do. They do ride staggered when on multi-lane highways, or while traveling at slower speeds. But, for the most part, when it comes to hitting curves, twisties and such roads, they drop back to single file, etc etc. And whats more, because they communicate so well with eachother, between the group leader, tail gunner, and everyone in between, they are quite proficient at riding "the Pace" as well as knowing whats around the bend, be it road hazards or what have you. Of course *I* dont have a CB, but they are kind enough to point out stuff for me anyway (most of which I already saw, but I really appreciate them pointing out gravel... I *H A T E* gravel.. )

More to come.. with PICS!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2010, 09:04 PM.

Good deal. Glad you guys had fun. I was thinking of you guys this weekend.
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Did anyone get a pic of that rattlesnake that tried to bike a few of us after Rosey ran it over?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Josh, you always tell great stories.. Glad you had a good time.

Comment

Working...
        X