luckey dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

luckey dog

figured we would go out for a spin last night around 10pm cause it,s about 95f around here lately.About an hour into our ride with the wife following my buddy on his 1166kat got hard on the gas needless to say i was off in hot pursuit up to about 220k when my chain decided to exit the bike,rev limiter kicks in and i coast to a stop look down and realise i have no chain.It took a while to set in how luckey i was after looking at the damage to the frame and swinger.There was no indication anythying happened i kinda thought the tranny broke.All said and done i have a new chain,guard and underwear coming.thats my luckey dog storey cheers

What's even luckier is the crankcase didn't get cracked. That happens quite a bit when a chain lets go and gets wadded up under the countershaft cover.

Happened to me once with my old T305. Luckily the crank didn't get into any critical areas.

Comment

Your wife was on the bike with you? Double lucky! Off to the lottery kiosk for you.
      Any idea what happened? Clip or rivet let go?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Not to make this a chain vs shaftie debate but that is one aspect of the shaft drive I like when having the kids on the back of the bike.

Glad you are okay, a chain spinning at that speed can rip through anything in its path.

Comment

just to clarify I was the only one on the bike thank god.I would never attempt that speed with a passenger

Comment

Happen to me on a drag sled on ice, needless to say, that snow bank stopped me pretty quick.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
              Not to make this a chain vs shaftie debate but that is one aspect of the shaft drive I like when having the kids on the back of the bike.

Glad you are okay, a chain spinning at that speed can rip through anything in its path.
              Driveshafts locking up are just as bad.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Another thing a chain can do is wrap itself around your rear sprocket and lock the tire up. I've heard of the drive shaft locking on bikes, happily the GS does not seem to suffer this malady - with proper maintenance of course.
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                  Another thing a chain can do is wrap itself around your rear sprocket and lock the tire up. I've heard of the drive shaft locking on bikes, happily the GS does not seem to suffer this malady - with proper maintenance of course.
                  I know of one, the rider wouldn't answer when I asked why it locked up, so I assumed it was because he had no oil in it and didn't want to fess up. That no oil thing will lock anything up. Also when the U joint bolts break, it would seem that could cause a lockup. Anyone had that happen? I'm not sure if the common soft spline failure could ever cause the wheel to lock, probably not.

Bottom line is either chains or shafts are completely safe if maintained correctly, and completely dangerous if not.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Had that happen once on an X6, wrapped around swing arm and rear sprocket. Stopped me pretty fast, luckily for me I was on a country road with no traffic and no pavement. I wasn't traveling all that fast, but still was pretty scary. Glad you are alright. Ray
                    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                    X