Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much gas?

For lack of any better idea of where to put this thread... "GS stories"

Just returned from a 90 mile ride. Gassed up about a half mile before returning home. Parked in garage, as normal, except I put it up on the center stand, thinking maybe I'll change the oil tomorrow.

Forty minutes later I notice the distinct smell of gasoline in the house.

I check the bike and sure enough gas has been bubbling out around the gascap. bubbling up the clearcoat on the tank, for that matter.

I roll it out into the driveway, rock the bike side to side a bit, and park it on its side stand.

So was it the combination of hot bike + center stand + less than half a mile since filling up that caused this lovely scenario?
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Arent these caps supposed to be vented?
    Perhaps yours is defective?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

sounds like the hose that relieves the gas pressure is clogged

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        Arent these caps supposed to be vented?
        Perhaps yours is defective?
        Well, I think it was seeping through the vented cap.

Originally posted by crazypaint
        sounds like the hose that relieves the gas pressure is clogged
        Is that hose downstream from the carbs? I got the feeling this was a problem upstream from the carbs.

But I don't often know what I'm talking about.
        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I have been told that if you fill the tank up to far heat makes the gas expand causing it to come out the gas cap. But I wouldnt think heat from the motor would do this.
          I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
          1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Is your tank coated inside?
            If it is, check that the tiny vent hole in the right side of the filler neck is open. It's a round hole, about 1mm in diameter, a litle way down the side of the neck. If it is not opem, the air expanding in the rest of the tank can't escape, so it pushes fuel out through the gas cap which is vented.
            I always open the vent a lot bigger, just lets me top off the tank quicker.

If that's not it, parking in the sun with a really full tank, the fuel itself will expand enough to push some out. I did this to the beautiful virgin tank on my 750/1000 Projectile the other day. Topped it off to go somewhere, ended up not going, next morning with the garage door open, the sun hit the tank, gas came out, now the paint job is wrinkled on one side.

I know better, just wasn't thinking at the time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Never a good idea to fill it all the way to the brim, especially in hot weather.
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I had the same issue with my 650. Filled it up too much and the heat of the engine and the warmer above ground air caused the fuel to expand and leak out ruining a custom paint job. Not real pleased with that, now I leave an air gap when topping off.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                  For lack of any better idea of where to put this thread... "GS stories"
                  maybe rephrase it and put it in "tips and tricks"?
                  It's definitely a 'tip' for me....

Comment

Working...
                  X