Searching for my old GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for my old GS1000G

I've decided to look for my old bike. I bought it new in 1981. It was "loaded" with a Vetter fairing and the guy that ordered it backed out. I rode it until the traffic in S. Florida got too bad. It sat in my garage for several years, and I sold it to a friend of a friend of my wife.

Now that I'm in rural N. Florida, I've gotten back into riding. As my signature shows, I have a Kawasaki Concours. I've decided recently to sell another car & try to find my old 1000G or if that fails maybe buy another 1000G or an 1100G.

Since I no longer have anything with the VIN on it, this has been a challenge. Florida won't release info on vehicles unless you meet certain criteria. I was able to find (online phone listings) the guy that I sold it to- he's since moved out of state. I've put in a call to him & will see if he calls back. I may also write to him on the chance that the number I called isn't his- it was a generic answering machine. His county lists vehicles he owns, and I saw he has a 2007 Kawasaki (I couldn't get that lucky), so he must still ride.

I'll update here as I make progress- should be an interesting GS story. Wish me luck.

Should be an interesting process. I hope it ends well. Are you prepared to find grass growing through it? Or worse, the frame's been cut?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

One of the first things that occurred to me was it had been totaled or was otherwise no longer with us. As the saying goes, I won't know until I ask. I'm not going to do a frame-up restoration if I find it- it has got to be viable.

From what I've found out, it looks like there were up to 10,019 1981 Suzuki motorcycles built. I need to find a site with production numbers to verify this.

Comment

Which color was it?
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Red with a black fairing. I added a large JC Whitney trunk & a radio setup on the fairing. I don't have any good pics of it. I'll attach the only one I've found.

As another piece to the puzzle, it was sold new at Ft. Myers Cycle in Ft. Myers, FL circa fall 1981/early 1982. They were bought out some time ago, and the new dealer has no records for that far back.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
            From what I've found out, it looks like there were up to 10,019 1981 Suzuki motorcycles built. I need to find a site with production numbers to verify this.
            According to the book, A Century of Japanese Motorcycles, Suzuki production numbers for 1981 were as follows:

Total units built: 1,529,342
            Home market (Japan): 705,792
            Export market: 820,132

I imagine that about 40% of the export bikes made it to North America, so one can assume that approximately 330,000 Zooks were sold here that year.

Those numbers make sense. At the time, there were approximately 2,000 Suzuki dealers in the US and Canada.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks for the data. Maybe it was 10,019 1000G models imported here?

Comment

Thanks for the data. Maybe it was 10,019 1000G models imported here?
                I have no idea, but that seems more likely.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I'm starting to think this is a lost cause. I called the DMV today & they were not optimistic about finding a 25 year old record. I have to send in a record request & am not thrilled with all the info it wants (like SSN).

I used a vehicle history service on some older VINs I found and there was no data on them other than shipping info back in the 80's, so even if I had my VIN it may not have been of much use unless the bike is currently registered.

My logical side just has to convince my nostalgic side that it would have needed thousands of bucks of work IF it could have been found, so another GS in operable condition would be a better choice.

Comment

I'm starting to think this is a lost cause. I called the DMV today & they were not optimistic about finding a 25 year old record. I have to send in a record request & am not thrilled with all the info it wants (like SSN).

I used a vehicle history service on some older VINs I found and there was no data on them other than shipping info back in the 80's, so even if I had my VIN it may not have been of much use unless the bike is currently registered.

My logical side just has to convince my nostalgic side that it would have needed thousands of bucks of work IF it could have been found, so another GS in operable condition would be a better choice.
                    DMV bureaucrats should not get you down. The information may be archived in a different form or in an offline storage system.
                    It may even be on hard copies or microfiche.

Comment

There seems to be about 4 or 5 850G's out there for every 1000G. But there are still a lot of them. I have 3 clean black and gold ones, and a super clean red one. All are '80's except the red one.

You might not find your original one, but if you want one, they are certainly out there.

I keep this one at my mom's place in So Cal. Its a beauty.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Took the plunge & went to the DMV today. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The clerk said they would have to look it up in microfiche and should know something in a day or two and will call. Seems they are concerned about personal information (as well they should be), but I explained I don't want any of that (since it would be mine anyway LOL), just the ID number.

The quest continues...

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          There seems to be about 4 or 5 850G's out there for every 1000G. But there are still a lot of them.
                          Tell me about it. That, and almost every 1000G for sale is in the northeast or northwest USA. Ironically, I have an 1100G within driving distance that is from my hometown, but was in Michigan with the current owner, who moved back a while back. I'm keeping this one in mind as plan B.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          I have 3 clean black and gold ones, and a super clean red one. All are '80's except the red one.

You might not find your original one, but if you want one, they are certainly out there.

I keep this one at my mom's place in So Cal. Its a beauty.
                          Nice looking bike! Just watched an episode of Ice Road Truckers from up your way & it was like -28 for the high!

Comment

I saw one of those. They were actually delivering pipe to one of our projects in the Arctic. I've spent all the time there I want to.

Here in Valdez, its much warmer, but we average 326 inches of snow per year. The record is more than 19 feet more than that.

So here, we get about half of the amount of snow that falls at Thompson Pass, 30 miles from here. Unfortunately, Thompson pass is where the only road in or out of here is routed.

sometimes in winter there isn't much in the Safeway.

Comment

Surprisingly I got a call from the guy at the DMV today. He wanted to know the year & so forth (I own / have owned a lot of vehicles here). He said he was going to talk to the lady in records and will call back. Praying about this one!

Comment

Working...
                              X