Comment from a Harley dude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment from a Harley dude

So I'm riding my '82 850L home from work today when I'm stopped in a construction zone. Flagman isn't one of the "cute" ones you sometimes see out there. He's a biker. Long hair, ponytail, huge Harley tat on forearm. I'm 5 ft. from the guy and he's eyeing my bike up and down as I wait for the lane to open. I can only imagine what's going through his mind when he says over the idle of my exhaust, "Nice bike, man. What's that, an '82? Had one once... I loved that bike!". I said thanks, and said I love mine too. Lane opened and I went on my way with a smile on my face...

Spike
    Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM.

Well that really IS a nice bike! I think that paint looks great, and I like the bars too.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I found myself surrounded by 4 or 5 hard core Harley riders in a service station once . Thought "here we go" . "This is going to hurt" .
      "Maaate , do you mind if we get a pic of the bike ? You don't see many of them around any more , it that sort of nick".
      "Sure" says I . "I thought I was going to have to give you all a floggin' there for a second" .
      We all had a good laugh .
      They're not all morons .

Cheers , Simon .
      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

cool! glad to hear some positive stuff about Harley guys on here for once. I was beginning to think this was a Harley hater site.
        ---Eric

Comment

I had a similar experience... a guy in a HD-decked pickup truck stopped just to peep my bike. I told him it was an 82 and he said "I know what year it is, used to have one. Those things are bulletproof! Great bikes"
          I told him it had 22,000 miles on it and he told me it would run forever.
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693054986_036c0d6951_m.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693282393_74ae51fbf9_m.jpg https://flic.kr/p/2mKXzTx]

Comment

I get a lot of mixed looks as well but it is not often a stranger comes up to you and wants to start a conversation, so its all good.

Usually the looks are to find an emblem for the brand as I kept the badges off and even if they dont know where my graphics came from most like the skulls, even folks at Church. my bike is an 83 and my favorite skateboard company is Powell Perallta, so the graphics come off the skateboard from 1983. The ripper skull is still one of the most popular logos out there.

I used the left and right board for my tank.

Comment

Cool story..I get that from people all the time...its weird..more so from HD riders and non motorcyclists..who both "used to have" one back in the day...its neat that these bikes can bring people back to the "good ol days"...

DDM

Comment

Originally posted by spike2112 View Post
                So I'm riding my '82 850L home from work today when I'm stopped in a construction zone. Flagman isn't one of the "cute" ones you sometimes see out there. He's a biker. Long hair, ponytail, huge Harley tat on forearm. I'm 5 ft. from the guy and he's eyeing my bike up and down as I wait for the lane to open. I can only imagine what's going through his mind when he says over the idle of my exhaust, "Nice bike, man. What's that, an '82? Had one once... I loved that bike!". I said thanks, and said I love mine too. Lane opened and I went on my way with a smile on my face...

Spike
                So thats what my bike SHOULD look like !

So now you have had 2 nice comments from " Harley guys "

Rat

Comment

I've had both good and bad comments. Stopped in a gas station with my first 1000G. Two old farts were there with their Hardleys. Jokingly, I said, "I'll trade ya!?" They looked at my bike and said, "Not for that foreign piece a sh*t!" I just lauged, got on my "faster" bike and rode off thinking, "I'll take this foreign piece a sh*t over your hardley ever running bike anyday."
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I've never once had a negative comment from a Harley rider, except a few co-workers, and they are/were hard-core, they-were-bikers-before-Harleys-were-trendy-even-during-the-AMF-days riders. And even then, it was all good-natured brand rivalry kind of stuff. Never had an unsolicited cursing from a stranger kind of comment.

But I've had many, many Harley riders chat me up about whatever vintage bike I've been on - Honda CB350, Honda CL175, Kawasaki KZ400, Hodaka 250SL, and on and on... Same story: I had one of those way back when....

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
                      Cool story..I get that from people all the time...its weird..more so from HD riders and non motorcyclists..who both "used to have" one back in the day...its neat that these bikes can bring people back to the "good ol days"...

DDM
                      Pretty much nails why I am doing the Suzy Project , Remember kids we didn't all start out on Harley's .

Myself I rode about 50 different Honda CB whatever's back in the day. they were cheap and fairly easy to keep going .

And just for the record I have been riding the SAME Harley for 17 years and 60k miles , It's failed to bring my sorry butt home NEVER .
                      It's like anything else , take care of your machine , it will take care of you.

But this IS a Suzuki forum , have your fun , lol

Rat

Comment

The only time I get snide remarks is from the new riders (the ones who buy the image). Older riders love the bike. It seems to cheer them up to see an old school bike again.

In fact our companies bank manager's husband is a HD rider. After seeing the bike he told me I had best take real good care of it and if I wish to sell it I had best call him first.

Comment

Working...
                        X