From MN to CA and return, started on 8/30/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From MN to CA and return, started on 8/30/10

Well, yesterday was the day to leave, after camping out and teaching an MSF BRC in Duluth over the weekend....
    I was tired, having gone to bed late and got up early three days in a row. The teaching weekend in Duluth was a dry run for the CA trip, I haven't slept on the ground in a tent in years. Here's my campsite in Duluth:
    This is Knife Island campground, a historical old slate mining townsite.

Here's a picture of my bike in front of the Voyageur's statue in Cloquet, MN.

Monday morning dawned hot and sunny, with promises of nasty weather all the way to Yellowstone National Park. In making preps to leave home, I had to make sure the lawn tractor was operational for my wife to mow the lawn when she gets back home from week in Utah spoiling the grandkids, so the two main jobs before departure was to try and get the front brakes on the bike to bleed properly (failed there, the right caliper won't clear up, still have air bubbles), and test run the lawn tractor. I mowed about a 1/3 of the lawn to test it, works fine now.
    All packed up and in the driveway, ready to leave on the journey. Westward Ho!!!!

The weather forecast sucked. I left late, near noon, thunderstorms with high winds, damaging hail, possible tornadoes from the MN border to Billings was in the forecast. snow showers in Yellowstone Nat Park. Oh well, off we go!.
    It was hot and sticky, so I wore all my summer ventilated gear, a rather ho-hum ride through all the back roads and around lakes as I left going westward towards Fargo, ND. The ominous looking thunderheads grouped up, and lightning streaks could be seen in the distance as I neared Fargo/Moorhead. I hadn't eaten all day, except a quarter of a watermelon and a pot of coffee for breakfast, so i stopped at a Subway restaurant and ate a foot long sub.
    About 15 miles west of Fargo, I rode for cover into a gas station just before the sky broke loose with torrential rain, lots of thunder and lightning to go with it. Tornado warnings had been in effect for the area since Fargo, I had been blown across the traffic lane on the freeway once already, from riding next to the white lane striping to the fog line. Boy, was that fun! I donned my rain gear before leaving, headed out into the mess as the rain let up some. After about 40 miles, I was able to pull off again and stow it all away, did leave the rain pants on though.......

To be continued.....
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling error

As promised....

North Dakota isn't one of the most exciting states to ride in, it's got long boring stretches with only the high winds and torrential thundertorms to break up the monotony of the super slab.
    I stopped in Jamestown to wake up and take a picture of me and the bike near the landmark giant buffalo.

My mini tripod works, but the gusting winds tried to destroy it and the camera. Here's another shot of the bike and the buffalo.

I was tired, it was dark, and I wussed out on camping the first night out, so when I got to Bismarck, I overpayed for a room in the Select Inn (even with my military discount), and here I sit, writing this story. It's already 8:25, I've still got to pack up, eat breakfast and go. Yellowstone Park tonight, chance of thunderstorms as I go through Billings is 30%, pretty much the same all along the route there. I'll post map picts sometime as I continue the saga.

More installments to come.....

Comment

Thanks for sharing,keep it coming and ride safe.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Good luck Dan. Keep an eye out for them bears .
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ride safe, I'll be watching this thread.

mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Thanks for sharing the ride story Dan!
            Keep an eye out for those crazy cagers, and that is a giant buffalo!

May the many miles bring you smiles.

Comment

Have a fun and safe ride!

Comment

Stay safe and have a great trip, Dan! Watch out for those sweeping lefthand interstate exits (wink, wink)

BTW, since you're riding in a lot of windy conditions let me give you a piece of advice regarding the turn signal lenses on the Windjammer. I lost two of them in the last few years because the original adhesive has exceeded its useful life and has begun to fail on a massive scale for anyone who has one. I fixed one side by using RTV clear silicone under the lens in place of the original adhesive, but in order to temporarily protect the "unbroken" side from "going away" I applied a thin bead of the same silicone around the perimeter of the lens, to make sure I wouldn't lose it before getting home to "properly" fix it before it blows away (and each time it happened I never saw either lens go, btw).

I would strongly suggest you do the same, if your lenses haven't already been removed and reattached with new adhesive. There is nothing more frustrating than having to take pictures of your "baby" on a momentus trip like this and having one (or both) of the lenses missing ... so save yours while you can!

I'll be looking forward to your updates, Pal!

Regards,

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the travel log. It didn't sound like you were coming through my part of Ca, but if you do, I'm always looking for someone to wash dishes. Good Luck!

Charlie G
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

For what its worth, my brothers and I travelled a good portion of that when we crossed the country June of '09. We enjoyed US14 a lot more than we would have I 90, particularly Shell Canyon in the Big Horns, etc. If you're not in a rush, ...

Where are you going in CA?

Its always a difficult decision to keep riding or set up camp. I don't particularly enjoy setting up a tent in the dark, so have to stop early if tenting. We can do more miles using plastic than we can using nylon, but there are times when its really better to camp.
                    Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

What part of Ca.? If you find yourself riding down the Central Valley, let me know. I would enjoy meeting a fellow GS'r from so far away. Castle Air Museum in Atwater, Ca. is having "open cockpit" Sunday Sept. 5th. Not sure what your time frame for Ca. is but Atwater is about 2hrs from Yosemite National Parkand about 2hrs from the SF Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                        Stay safe and have a great trip, Dan! Watch out for those sweeping lefthand interstate exits (wink, wink)

There is nothing more frustrating than having to take pictures of your "baby" on a momentus trip like this and having one (or both) of the lenses missing ... so save yours while you can!

I'll be looking forward to your updates, Pal!

Regards,
                        Steve, as far as I know, I won't have any of those sweepers, but I also know my bike is dangerously light on the front end with the way it's packed. I did check and glue both lenses when I rebuilt my bike and installed that fairing last year.

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        Dan,

Thanks for the travel log. It didn't sound like you were coming through my part of Ca, but if you do, I'm always looking for someone to wash dishes. Good Luck!

Charlie G
                        Sorry to say, Charlie, but the furthest north in CA that I'll be will be in the desert east of Bakersfield, might even go to Bakersfield to see chef.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post

Where are you going in CA?

Its always a difficult decision to keep riding or set up camp. I don't particularly enjoy setting up a tent in the dark, so have to stop early if tenting. We can do more miles using plastic than we can using nylon, but there are times when its really better to camp.
                        I probably will only set up camp in the national parks, which will be Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion and Rocky Mtn. In CA, it'll be Yucca Valley, Redondo Beach, and possibly Bakersfield.

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                        What part of Ca.?
                        See above.

Now, on with the show.
                        Yesterday when I left Bismarck, I was distracted by a cow, and I had to go see it. It wasn't just any cow, it stood on top of a hill overlooking I-94 (saw her many times in passing, never visited). She belongs to the town of New Salem, ND. I'll let the pictures tell most of the story....

The venerable old lady watching the traffic below.

The picture of my bike at the switchback in the dirt path up shows the difficulty of ascent somewhat. The scenery picture above is of the town of New salem to the east and south of Sue. This was my first deviation of the day from my planned route.....

Comment

more.........

After I said goodbye to Salem Sue, I descended the from the hill. It was a sphincter clenching downward journey. The soil was loose and wet. Luckily for me, there were no patches of gumbo mud on the way down (more about that later........)

I got back on the freeway, (winds were pretty steady at 25mph in my face, gusting to 35), next revelation: mileage stinks, it really stinks in those conditions. Bill set my carbs too rich also, (ON EDIT, he didn't set them too rich, it turns out the float setting is too high, the same thing happened when I rebuilt the other set, and I had to drop the floats to stop the flooding and running rich problem, Sorry Bill!) and I haven't had time to change the needle valve settings either. I ran out of gas as I was coasting in to a gas staion from the freeway, with only 75 miles on my tank. I erroneously thought my new tank held 4.5 gals, it would only take 3.89 gals when it ran out, so it's apparently a 4 gal or 4.2 gal tank. There is a small amount of gas in that tank that can never be used. Lesson learned here: Even though the bike can and will keep up with the big boys fully loaded, don't go 75-80 mph if you don't want to fill up constantly and only get 20 mpg.

Anyway, some time down the road, at exit 72, I spotted another roadside distraction that I hadn't been able to explore, due to my wife telling me "we really don't have the time, we've got to get home, or to our daughter's house in Utah", so , naturally, not having the voice of reason to keep me in line, I exited stage right...(sorry Snagglepuss..those of you that are old enough will remember that line).
                          This attraction/distraction is called THE ENCHANTED HIGHWAY. Here are some of the picts:

The first two photos are of the first two metal sculptures. the next three show what happened (sort of) when you try to turn around in gumbo mud. The bike slipped out from under me while I was executing an otherwise perfect slow u-turn. I didn't take a picture of her on her side in the mud puddle, she would've died of shame. She was none the worse for wear, lost some precious fuel though. Got her packed back up and headed down the road to see the rest of the enchant ment.
                          Here are the rest of the pictures:

The remainder is in the next post below.
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2010, 04:57 PM. Reason: cleaning up the post after the page closed..., adding an apology to Bill

Comment

I'm trying to finish this post to get on the road......

Computer jamming and crashing, Toshiba strikes again....
                            Anyway, here are more pictures of the "Enchantment"....

The photos above are all in order, the farm family below was just before getting to the town of Regent in the pictures, Photobucket got them out of order and I didn't notice until I started the post. The metal sculptures are this town's claim to fame, they have a gift shop and the town seems to survive through the summer months on the tourist traffic. Now that many schools are in session, the town is shuttered up with the exception of the grocery store and the Cenex gas station/convenience store.

One more installment and it's road time.....

Comment

One of these days I'm going to make a trip like yours....I'm kinda jealous....looks like a great adventure.

And here's Snagglepuss.

Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X