Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rusty $20 bike that fell into my arms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty $20 bike that fell into my arms...

Well, I was living in Philly at the time this summer. I've been looking for a bike and finally found the one for me. Sure it had some issues and needed some TLC, hell a lot of it actually. I went to pick up the old warrior for a measley $20. Lord knows it had seen better days. It was rusty, spiders made it their home with webs, turns signals were broken, tank was full of caked on flaky rust, tires rotted out, carbs were full of crud,... ok you get the picture. Anyways I took it home and started what would be many a late night of work with six pack by my side and a few cuss words here and there. I had some re-wiring to do and new starter to install. Replaced turn signals and cleaned the carbs out. Long story short it took 3 months and a $1000 or so to finally start it and have it running on the road this weekend. I can't describe how it felt to have it running down the road with what must have been the biggest ear to ear grin passing cars thinking bout what shape this bike was in just a few months ago. It sure isnt in showroom condition.. at least not yet. But to be able to say that I brought this bike back from the dead and keep a part of Suzuki's past alive, well, just plain feels good. Anyways not much of story here. Just thought I'd share what has been one of the best weekends of my life in a long time.

Be Cool and Ride Safe.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2010, 12:40 AM.

What bike is it?! And we're gonna need some pictures...

Comment

Welcome to GS Resources! We need pics of this find. Not just one, either. What model is it?

Most importantly, where in Oklahoma are you? I'm in Weatherford, and I have a 1982 GS1100E restored by my dad a few years ago from much the same condition and even a better price -- free! It has more than $1,000 in it, though, because it was missing many parts, including carbs.

I just posted a story about my ride this weekend and there's a pic of my bike in it.

Comment

Great, the sense of achievment is hard to beat, congrats.
        Now why keep the rebuild all to yourself, you can make amends of course, with pictures...lots of em, you know we like pictures, so share your new fun with us.
        Once again, good job.

Comment

And I thought my 4 bikes for $800 was good.I will join the chorus for pics,can't be worse than mine.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned PICTURES?
            After pictures, but especially in this case we will need before pictures.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think pictures would be cool. But he is an Okie, cant expect much from those guys.

Comment

Ya I dont have many pics before I cleaned it up. Ended up taking some pics after some cleaning. I actually have 3 pics of the bike when it was in my truck/shop while I was in Philly. The pics can be seen on my profile album pics. The Suzuki is a 82 GS850 GL. I actually just quit working on it tonight. The battery kept dying, turns out it was a red wire connection that was loose coming from the altenator right next to the battery case. Now it idles and is keeping the bike charge from idle to 4000 rpm. Been a long night haha. But enjoyable none the less. I will be posting more pics soon.

Comment

Im in Oologah. Not too far from ya. By the way thanks for all the responses.

Comment

Working...
                  X