Mr. Steve comes through again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Steve comes through again!

Mr. Steve may be in Mississippi which is a long way from home when I need his mechanical talents. The weather in Ohio was beautiful this weekend and I wanted to ride my bike. I planned on riding my bike to church Saturday morning and then riding to meet my sister, with her bike, where we would then enjoy the local Fall festivals happening in her home town.

Saturday morning I found the battery to be low so I placed the battery tender on it and continued to church in my car. After church I went to lunch then home to get the bike out and go for a ride on a warm, sunny Fall day. I backed the bike out of the garage, set the choke, press the starter button-nothing! After a few tries, I call Steve in Mississippi and asked for help, I wanted to ride.

He has me set the petcock to prime as the bike has not been ran for a while and try again, nothing! The bike is not even trying to start, no chug, no sputter, nothing. Next I am instructed to go to the tool box and get out one of the older larger flat screwdrivers. He then instructs me to remove the left side cover, locate the starter solenoid and how to short across the two terminals to see if the bike will start. After a few sparks as I make and keep a good contact on the two terminals the bike is trying to start but not catching. It does not take long for the small charge the battery had from the trickle charger to be depleted. Now what?

I know where the regular battery charger is, but not how to connect it to the bike. I really want to ride, so I am ready for the next step to getting this bike to start. Steve instructs me to how to connect the charger on the starter solenoid so I do not have to remove the seat to get to the battery. It works, the charger is working and I go in to get a drink, sit on the patio and chat with my long distance hubby while the battery is charging. After 15 minutes, the battery charger shows the battery is healthier and I am ready to try starting the bike.

The choke is set and I try the starter button, nothing, the button is just not working. I go back to using the screwdriver and the bike cranks, strong but does not start. I am stumped, what is wrong with my bike that always starts easily? I ask my mechanic who is in Mississppi giving me instructions over the phone. What else could it be, why is it not starting? The smart man on the other end of the phone tells me to check my kill switch and guess what, it was in the OFF position!!! All this work for a button I rarely use in the wrong position, great now I can get going. I put the switch in the RUN position, push the button and.......NOTHING!!! The starter button is still not working but the screwdriver does, the bike starts and I am ready to ride.

I pack the screwdriver in the trunk, replace the side cover and go for a great ride. I did have to use the screwdriver everytime I turned off the bike which caused a few looks and comments, but that was OK. I was able to ride with my sister and I had a great day, all thanks to my out-of-town hubby who knows my bike so well that he can give great instructions over the phone.

Of course I would of rather had him here to do the work himself. I am capable of being very mechanical but most of the time I have the option of just supervising Steve when he works. This time I had to get my hands dirty but it was worth it as the day was too good to pass up the chance to ride and spend time with family.

Thanks to my personal mechanic!

Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM.

Congratulations Mrs. Steve and guess what, you're well on your way to being the master mechanic too. I also have to agree with you and I'm so glad that Steve is here to help all of us out. Too bad we can't do anything for him as a huge thank you
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well, shucks, it's nothing that I won't do for other members of the forum, too.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You da man.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Well, shucks, it's nothing that I won't do for other members of the forum, too.

That's right, and that's why you are GSR Member of the... err...
          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

GSR Member of the Day!

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              That's right, and that's why you are GSR Member of the... err...
              Come on, Allie, you KNOW better than that.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Jeez how do you live with this guy? It must be irritating as hell as he's always got the answer and is right on the money. I've never met the man but I get the feeling he's an "I told you so" kind of character. Personally that would drive me nuts but since he's sorted a few problems for me too I'm prepared to cut him some slack.

So did you enjoy the ride?

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                  Jeez how do you live with this guy?
                  That's easy. She kicks me out for several weeks at a time to go "work".

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Hi,

A good marriage is like a vintage motorcycle, continually being restored.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      A good marriage is like a vintage motorcycle, continually being restored.
                      And we are fortunate that the marriage is older than most of our bikes.

Only her X-6 Scrambler that is patiently waiting for a restoration predates our marriage.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Yep, this forum is like the Skeleton Coast of Namibia, littered with diamonds, and Steve is indeed one of them.

Comment

Part of the "Litter"? Sure.

"Pick of the litter"? Not hardly.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

stupid question, but did the missus try pulling in on the clutch lever when cranking? This has had me slapping my forehead many times
                            Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                            1979 GS850GN
                            sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                            1975-2008

Comment

Originally posted by four_shot View Post
                              stupid question, but did the missus try pulling in on the clutch lever when cranking? This has had me slapping my forehead many times
                              That switch was bypassed LONG ago. (about six years ago)

On my list of things to do next week when I get home are to replace the right side handgrip contols and clean the starter brushes.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X