Broke down in West Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke down in West Virginia

Just thought Id share todays little adventure....

Went for a little ride with my girlfriend and one of my riding buddies today. We took off into WV with no particular direction. We then decided to go up to Point Pleasant, WV but had a couple of incidents. First my speedo cable broke so my buddy took the lead so I wouldnt go flying off the face of the earth lol. No big deal though, I have a spare which will be put on tomorrow.

Then we got up the road and the bike started missing a little bit, then a little more, then a little more and loosing power. First I thought I was out of gas so switched to reserve but no luck. Then I started wondering if the battery was gone but I made it to a safe spot (stand selling pumpkins and vegetables) and the bike died so I coasted off the road and parked it.

The battery was fine so it seamed so I thought coil or plug. Used a screwdriver to test spark got it for cyl 1. Went to the other side to get a better view and to test cyl. 4 and I saw the problem.....

The plug wire for cyl. 2 was disconnected from the coil!!

So I had to take the bike apart to get to the coils and plug the wire back in. I was unaware that the wires came off of the coils like that but its good to know, Im going to fix that up tomorrow and make sure they are all in there really good and might tape them up or something to prevent it from happening again. Naturally the girlfriend couldn't resist taking pics since everybody was staring hard at the guy with his bike torn apart lol

So once that was fixed we continued on and made it to Point Pleasant where we got to meet the notorious MOTH MAN!! (Surely youve heard of the Moth Man haven't you?)

Last edited by Sparky; 10-23-2010, 11:14 PM.
    ---Eric

Oh THAT Mothman...
    of course I have heard of him.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
      .... I was unaware that the wires came off of the coils like that but its good to know,
      I am also unaware that the sparkplug wire can unplug from coil. BUt then agaiin, my expereice has been with stock coils for 850G and 1100G.

Good that you got it going, and your story did not involve having to find other way home.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Kewl sculpture!! I remember reading about the Mothman on coasttocoastam.com, a great site for all you that are into the unexplained or just plain odd stuff.
        Congrats though on a successful troubleshooting experience. Sure is satisfying when you find the problem early on and its daylight. Ah, the things that riders with new bikes miss out on. lol
        Willie
        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Thats what I told my girlfriend, I said dont worry about it, its all part of owning an old, used bike. I was glad it was an easy fix though of course.
          ---Eric

Comment

Glad you got it figured out Eric. I've never heard of The Mothman......seems a little creepy though.

I'd hate to have him hit my windshield at 60 mph.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

There was a big Hollywood movie about it, The the Mothman Prophecies

And as for the windshield, I agree, except I dont have a windshield

Heck, I only have an open face helmet at the moment but Im watching a full face on ebay right now
              ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                Glad you got it figured out Eric. I've never heard of The Mothman......seems a little creepy though.

I'd hate to have him hit my windshield at 60 mph.
                Yet another LMAO, tonight is good @ GSR
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Wonder if Moth Man is any kin to Bat Man?

Comment

Distant cousins perhaps?
                    ---Eric

Comment

Working...
                    X