My last ride for a few months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My last ride for a few months

Well, it's official, the mornings here are getting too cold for me to feel up to riding to work. So a couple of friends and I took a ride up to Wilkerson Pass here in CO and had a pretty good afternoon of it. I met them at the base service station at noon and we drove up hwy 24 to our first stop in Florissant. Although we got to ride through some nice twisties, I wasn't able to take any pictures of that part since we were fighting a horrendous head wind the entire way. That and I didn't want them to have to stop on the way up. I'll get more of that the next time I go up if I go by myself.

In Florissant we stopped for lunch at the Thunderbird Inn and watched the Vikings beat the Cardinals in OT. Just as we were leaving, a bunch of Harley riders showed up wearing their vests and some nice looking bikes. Unfortunately, I ended up smashing my middle finger in the door trying to close it so the wind wouldn't make things worse inside .

After filling up our bikes (just to make sure), we drove the rest of the way up to the pass with the wind finally dying down once we got to Lake George. At the top of the pass I finally took a few mins to take some pictures:

Here's my friend Rich with his 2001 Honda Goldwing that he traded a Yamaha Venture Royal for and a co-worker's husband next to his Ducati (I think it's a 2008 but not sure).

I'm in the orange vest next to my bike with Jim and Rich taking the picture:

View of Pikes Peak

and a couple of shots from Wilkerson Pass

We then headed back down off the mountain splitting up after we hit just East of Woodland Park. I stopped at Walmart on the way back in to get some Stabil and had a guy riding a Harley stop and look the bike over. He liked it and talked about having a 74 Honda back in the day. Now, I'll take stuff off the bike and go to work on fixing up a long list of small things (shocks, chain, sprocket, springs, etc).
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Nice picts. Too bad you're done for the season. I know that I've got a few more miles to ride with this nice weather we've been getting. In about 80 miles (easy to get around here), my odometer is going read over 90,000 miles. I've got to get the next tag you know!

Comment

Your not done for the season, you just need warmer riding apparel. Maybe one of those little plastic windshields or maybe a cafe fairing. It'd good riding all year around here, not every day but certainly a few days every week.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That might be true Tom but I want to get some things fixed and I don't feel right just letting it sit around and not get ridden. So, I'm going to take it apart and get going as I can. Once everything is done, I'll fire it up again assuming its not real nasty. Course, out here it can get pretty bad compared to up your way. We'll see though.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Looks like a great ride. I always enjoy your pics. Colorado is a magical place! We had 20-30 mph steady winds with 40 mph gusts, so I didn't ride today...

Comment

Must be nice riding when the pics look like the credits to Big Valley. Thanks for posting, and may the next season come 'round soon!
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I spent several years riding my 82 Katana up n down highway 24 between Colo Springs and Woodland Park, then whatever highway it was that took you to behind Pike's Peak to Cripple Creek and Victor. That was when it was reduced to one lane through a tunnel about midway up. There was a traffic light, though, so it wasn't too scary.

I also spent lots of time on 101 (I think that's what it was) between C. Springs and Canon City. That was lots of fun, too....

I'll never forget the golden fall afternoons with the aspen in full yellow. It was like drips of gold stuck to the trees. There's something about the quality of light in falltime Colorado that you just can't put to words....

Colorado is indeed a magical place!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post

Colorado is indeed a magical place!
                Indeed! 70 degrees and sunny yesterday, snowing today, I'll be riding in sunshine again in a day or two. I like it here.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

Beautiful ride! Thanks for the pictures. Enjoy working on your bike. Come the spring it will be a brand new machine, ready for more adventures.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X