No announcement yet.

My 78 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, nice build, that bike is really looking very good, like everyone has said, I bet you could not get the smile off your face, I hope you have many happy miles on it.

Comment

Finally painted up the seat. I never did this good of a job on my 850 and always meant to. Turned out nice with several coats of Dupli-Color acrylic enamel. Will be doing the inside of the tank in the next couple of days with POR-15. It seems all that clutch noise is gone but I've noticed the oil window is all white now and very difficult to see through so I'll remember the tips on tipping the bike over to get at the cover, thanks guys.

IMG_9903 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9900 by azr33, on Flickr
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Well I've finished the project for the most part. Seat turned out great. POR-15 the tank, turned out great, at least I think it did, seems to be holding fuel anyways. Did the coil relay mod to help rectify #4 not firing all the time, I had 9.3 volts at the coils so this improvement should help, it seemed to right away anyways. So here's a few more pics for everyone. The bike looks great, I'm really happy with it. Had a great 2 hour ride with it the other day (while all four cylinders were working). Hoping to get out again in the next few days while the temp is 10C, heck that's almost spring.

IMG_9987 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9986 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9985 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9984 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9983 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9982 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9981 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9980 by azr33, on Flickr
        Rob
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That's a really clean bike. Nice work!

Comment

Lookin' good. So, you're not going to put the skunk stripe on?
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I missed this thread. Boy it looks sharp. Your making me feel lazy. I haven't touched the bikes in a while. It's been below freezing for weeks and that isn't much of a motivator.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                Lookin' good. So, you're not going to put the skunk stripe on?
                The tank came on the second 1000 I bought a few months ago, a great improvement on the tank that was there originally so I've just waxed it up and thrown it on. Not perfect but pretty good until I figure out how to paint. Have the compressor now just need guns and a whole lot of patience. I hear you about the cold Charlie. Once it gets below '0' I don't do much wrenching in the shed. Instead I pull the carbs in the basement, lol. Looking forward to spring though.
                Last edited by azr; 01-13-2011, 02:58 AM.
                Rob

Comment

Yeah looks great..Glad you took our advise and decided to restore it to its glory and not bob it.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hats off to you for all your hard work and know-how. Thanks for all the pics. I can't believe the shine on that engine! I've got to figure out how to do that. I'm sure the major ingredient is hours of elbow grease.

Here's to many beautiful days on the big open road...

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      "a few weeks before it gets nice"?? have you ever been to Vancouver Island? its green up here for a reason, lol. As far as the petcocks, no such luck on an easy fix. They both leak from the fuel line connection while turned to 'run'. I found the first one leaking when I came into the garage after an hour to smell the fuel and see gas pouring out of my carb overflow.....nice. Ya I saw your tip the bike technique on another posting about clutch rattle. When you say 'tip', I'm guessing at least a 45 degree angle? all apart and never checked it, arrr....like I said, not the sharpest tool in the shed but definitely the fastest.
                      I got the same problem with my petcocks, I had two that leaked in run, I fixed one, ironically it was the one with the old diaphram and bad mating surface, the one with the good O ring mating surface and new diaphram is the one I can't get to stop leaking hoping you have better luck.
                      Really nice bike, bet she runs as good as she looks.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                        I got the same problem with my petcocks, I had two that leaked in run, I fixed one, ironically it was the one with the old diaphram and bad mating surface, the one with the good O ring mating surface and new diaphram is the one I can't get to stop leaking hoping you have better luck.
                        Really nice bike, bet she runs as good as she looks.
                        Thanks, she's a blast to ride. I'm looking forward to this seasons trips. I finally got one of the original petcocks to work with the pile of spare parts I have kicking around.
                        Rob

Comment

Yoshi Repl.?

Heya AZR, are you still thinking to go Yoshi Rep.? And the inverted front end?
                          Tanx
                          G
                          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

[QUOTE=gmansyz;1343872]Heya AZR, are you still thinking to go Yoshi Rep.? And the inverted front end?
                            Tanx
                            G[/QUOTE
                            Think you have me mixed with someone else. No bobbin', no inverting going on here, well not yet anyways.
                            Rob

Comment

Ooops

Yes, I am sorry.
                              Will you be putting a nice header on it?
                              G
                              sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                              2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                              Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                              '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

I doubt I'll be doing any performance improvements to this one other than trying out the Marvin header on it to hear what it sounds like. I've got the other 1000 I may turn into more of a stock/mod bike.
                                Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X