My 78 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 78 1000

Thought it's about time I posted up some pics of my rebuild. Still lots to do but she's getting close. Waiting for my Real Gaskets and then I should be able to blast her to life. I'll throw on the stock pipes first then try out the Marvin. Can't wait to rip up the pavement with her. I'm getting all the nuts and bolts cadmium plated next week, should look good.

IMG_9781_2246x1685 by azr33, on Flickr

here's a link to the rebuild

Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Very nice!
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Yup yup!!
      Nice indeed.

Ya gonna decal it or leave it solid black?
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Engine nice and clean.Also see you got the polishing bug.Good job!
        http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
        1978 GS1000C
        1979 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000E
        2004 Roadstar

Comment

How did you get that engine block to look newer than new?
          Beautiful!!!
          Soda blasting?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            Yup yup!!
            Nice indeed.

Ya gonna decal it or leave it solid black?
            The tank and rear tail piece came from another 1000 I picked up recently. Not perfect but decent enough and it saved my the $$$ for a new paint job. I'm contemplating just putting the white strip down it but it doesn't look too bad as it, I'll see.

I didn't have my compressor during all of this so everything was done by hand including cleaning the engine block. I have a couple of attachments for my dremel but they burn out fairly quick so most of it is done by hand. The frame is painted with an Expoxy paint and the engine is good old VHT.

The whole intent of this clean up was to get her lookin' good, ride her for awhile then eventually tear her down again when the moneys there to have the frame powder coated and a new paint job for the entire bike. But that's the future and who knows what that holds. Pretty happy with how she's turning out so far. Not sure which pipes I'll run with, probably play around with both.
            Rob
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Cadmium is so purty

It's like Christmas early. A local plating shop is two blocks away. It wasn't cheap but I'm happy with the results. Unfortunately they said 'afterwards' that I could have brought in double the amount for only about $15 more, live and learn. If I can find someone with a glass bead cabinet to clean them with first I can cut the price in half though. Just waiting for my Real Gaskets and I can start her up!

IMG_9831_2246x1685 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9833_2246x1685 by azr33, on Flickr

IMG_9834_2246x1685 by azr33, on Flickr
              Rob

Comment

Looking good

You going to fire it up this weekend?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's alive....It's Alive.....

Well finally got to start the bike. Drove her home Oct/2009 and haven't started her till today. Turned over pretty easily once she had some gas. Petcocks leaking of course, even my spare leaked, so another thing to rebuild or buy but for now I've got a working spare I bought for my 850. My good tank is completely flash rusted inside so I've got all the POR supplies to do that job in the next few weeks but my other tank is clean as a whistle inside and does the trick. Synched the carbs and she running pretty well. Fairly loud clutch rattle so I guess I will be pulling the cover and hopefully only having to tighten the bolt (sure wished I had checked that while the motor was out, duh). Doesn't seem to be leaking any oil anywhere and can't wait to road test her. Damn this rain!

here's a video.

Rob

Comment

Rich

1. Where's the petcock leaking from? It might just need a gasket
                    2. Just tip the left side of the bike over onto your shed wall and go to work on the clutch - saves all that oil draining. If the basket needs refurb, at least you have a few weeks before it gets nice up there!
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      Rich

1. Where's the petcock leaking from? It might just need a gasket
                      2. Just tip the left side of the bike over onto your shed wall and go to work on the clutch - saves all that oil draining. If the basket needs refurb, at least you have a few weeks before it gets nice up there!
                      "a few weeks before it gets nice"?? have you ever been to Vancouver Island? its green up here for a reason, lol. As far as the petcocks, no such luck on an easy fix. They both leak from the fuel line connection while turned to 'run'. I found the first one leaking when I came into the garage after an hour to smell the fuel and see gas pouring out of my carb overflow.....nice. Ya I saw your tip the bike technique on another posting about clutch rattle. When you say 'tip', I'm guessing at least a 45 degree angle? all apart and never checked it, arrr....like I said, not the sharpest tool in the shed but definitely the fastest.
                      Rob

Comment

Well I took her out for her first real ride today. Unbelievable difference between the 1000 and my 850. Alot more power and a real difference in weight. Other than tightening a few things on the return home she road like a champ and everything seems to working great now. She's got a good set of Cheng Shin Marquis on her but either I'm not used to them yet or they don't hold the road like my Avons. The clutch rattle is gone and the blue smoke that was there on initial start up is gone, now that all four cyclinders are firing. I'm sure I'll be playing around with plug chops and air screw adjustment but for the most part she's spot on. I'm actually shocked, I was expecting more hassle than I recieved. Well here's looking forward to a new season on a new bike. Now to strip down my 850 and fix the head gasket leak.
                        Rob

Comment

Nice build and great job!
                          So......what is the weather like on Vancouver Island this time of year?
                          We had a nice balmy day here in Nebraska (uncharacteristic) in the 40's I had both GS's out for awhile charging the batteries on 20 mile rides!

Comment

BIG T.. A few old tires..not on the rims..stacked up and you can lay a bike over on them as well..just fuel for thought so you can keep the bike in the nice heated garage if you want.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Bravo!

Congrats on a good first ride, I bet your smile was a mile wide inside your helmet!

Comment

Working...
                              X